Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did you abuse your parents cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 15, 2008.

1. When I was a teenager my dad bought my mom a new 1962 Ford Galaxie off the showroom floor,,,nice car black hardtop w/t a 390 and automatic.

I learned to drive in that car,,,I remember looking through the steering wheel the first time I drove the car.

I got my drivers license in late 63 and when I was allowed to drive by myself I would go down the street and remove the hubcaps and breather,,,the hubcaps and breather were thrown in the trunk.

Stomp on the go pedal and the 4 barrel made a great GAWWWAH sound,,I loved it,,

There was a road about a mile from the house that had about a 25 degree incline and I would go up the hill,,put the car in reverse and start down the hill and slam the the shifter into drive with my size 12 stabbed to the floor,,,,,man,,the tires would go up in smoke.

One day being a little too crazy I backed it down the hill too much and went across the road and into a ditch and down into a small creek,,,tires spinning all the way,,,

We tried to get it out but my friends ol' Rambler wouldn't budge the big land yacht,,,,as the day was slowly turning into dark I went home with my tail between my legs a told a half truth and begged,,,no pleaded for mercy with my dad,,,,,

A logging chain and his 56 Chevy sedan delivery and a couple of neighbors and the car was out of the ditch and back on the road,,,

The hubcaps and breather were still in the trunk,,,,,needless to say,,,back in the 60's punishment still existed,,,and it was swift,,,

I handed over my license,,,got my ass whipped,,and paid for a new set of tires out of my grass cutting money,,took a long time but taught me a lesson for life,,,,

A few months later mom totaled that car,,,,but the fun I had in that car,,,putting the car in the ditch and speeding tickets,dates,,making first base and getting my face slapped at the same time at the drive-in movies,,and blistering those tires are still fond memories,,,the ass blistering I could forget!:rolleyes: HRP

2. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

One night in high school (graduated in '97) it was snowing rather bad so I left my 65 Mustang fastback in the garage, took thier '87 Olds out (sans permission I might add) and crashed that instead. Into my best friends car no less.

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Of course...I learned to drive in a '49 Mercury...wrecked that car many times but never totaled it...didn't evey teen wreck his parents car at least once. You can read some of my exploits in two of my books -"Bangin' Gears & Bustin' Heads" and "Fast Cars, 4 speeds & Fistfights"...car craziness in the early '60's and the stuff we got away with...(this message brot to you by 40StudeDude-available at www.RAJetter.com).
    R-

4. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

A better question would be ... Is there ONE person out there that didn't abuse their parents' car?

Mom had a 401 '61 Buick Invicta, and my buddy Bill had his parents' 327 Chevy wagon. We spent the whole night on the Interstate drag racing till he blew the tranny on the wagon. "Honest dad, I was just coming down the Interstate off ramp and the tranny broke"... ..Dad believed him until the mechanic opened the trans.. "Goonshifting, huh?" was all he said.
    I never saw my buddy Bill for the rest of the summer . He instantly became his dads indentured servant.

5. 30roadster

30roadster

wingnutz knows where i'm taling about....
    parents 80's bronco....and the 74 toyota corolla? in think.....
    I would get up to about 40 mph and hit the Pick and Save loading dock " bump" and get all 4 tires off the ground. I did it once in the corolla and on the way home smelled gas.... got home and the a/c bracket had broken and the compressor landed on the fuel lines...gas was squirting all over the engine...really dumb. Did it in the bronco once when i was giving a gal a ride home.... her books were neatly piled in her lap....sort of went flying around the car. might be why i didn't get too many dates in highschool. I was a hoodlum and should have had my ass beat.

6. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Hell Yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B:)B

7. Jaker

Jaker

Ha ha

i would jump my Mom's station wagon off that same bump!!

I broke a motor mount in the same station wagon by doing neutral drops...

I think I learned more about 'driving' the first week I had my license than any of the behind the wheel training or class time combined!

8. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

My boys will never drive "our" cars. They already do as I did.......

9. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Nope! Bought my first car at 15. Paid $50 for a 54' Buick Super 2dr Hardtop. Due to the fact that I had to pay for everything out of my pocket, I never abused my rides unless it was for money (street racing).

10. 30roadster

30roadster

HAHA - I didn't even have to say Waukesha! The bronco died because of a main bearing leak that got so bad my folks sold it.... those damn fords just won't hold up... :D At 43 I still should get my ass beat!

11. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Not me. I wrecked my own stuff. I did get our old work truck stuck in the mud, but it wasn't broken.

12. 41woodie

41woodie

Dad went out and bought the prettiest little '58 Chevy Bel-Air tudor and brought it home. I was overjoyed until I opened the hood and found a 348 w/4V then I was nearly giddy. It came with a turbo-glide which lasted about a week before giving up. Good old dad replaced it with a Powerglide and the madness continued. Oklahoma had a 10 point law on traffic tickets. It's amazing how fast you can go through 9 out of the available 10 points. I owe that car a written apology for the things I did to it.

13. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Never got to drive any of my parents cars after my older brother wreck my mom's car when he took it without permission and no license. So....I saved my money and bought my own cars and abused them.

14. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

I may have been known to have been slightly a silly a few times when I've borrowed my dad's rod. I admit it did go back a bit rattly last time :eek:

15. Truckedup

Truckedup

Abuse? I was 17 in 1964,a fresh driver's license,ran my dad's 62 Falcon wagon wide open in second gear for at least a mile trying to get 60 mph out of it.Don't remember if it ran 60 in second gear,maybe 55.A few months later I flipped over the same Falcon driving like an idiot with 2 buddies in the car,no one got hurt.My father considered this abusing his car!!!! And the reason I was abusing his car was because I had abused my 56 Ford,blew first first and reverse,typical 3 speed abuse problem,first of maybe 5 tranny's I "abused" up in that Ford.

16. MISTERD

MISTERD

I had an uncle who took his father's 55 Ford drag racing on the weekends. Until one morning on the way to work, his father got
    in the car, started it up and proceeded to exit the driveway. He noticed a lever he had never seen before. Inquisitively he pulled the lever, opened the dumps, panicked and drove through the neighbors bushes. Needless to say that ended my uncle's drag racing career.:)

17. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

believe it or not ,my parents would not let me drive their cars! i had to get a job and save enough money to buy, register and insure my own car, a $150.00 64 chevy 6 cylinder w/a three on the tree, drove it home, swapped the motor and trans w/a 327 4 speed, and i sure as hell beat the snot out of that car! they musta' known better, but lookin' back parents always did!

18. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Me, nope, never once did I ever have the chance to drive either of my parents cars, not once in high school or college. Both me and my sister knew this from the time we were able to understand. We knew if we wanted to drive we would have to save our babysitting money and not only buy our own car BUT the insurance, on our own policies, if we wanted to drive. My parents thoughts were they both needed their cars to get to work every day and if something happened to their car they would be the one with the hassle of how are they going to get to work.

Shortly after my 16th birthday I bought a '68 Camaro convert on my own with my own money. Drove it home then showed the folks. Called, got and paid for my own insurance. On my 16th birthday I got a job at the local mall evenings and weekends. For a couple of months, till I bought that Camaro I rode my bike to work.

Thats how it was done in my world then.

Now my folks have 6 cars and if me or my sister need to borrow one for whatever reason it's not a problem. They know we are going to treat their cars with the same respect we treat our own.

19. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I got hit by a drunk driver in my parents car. Almost a head on collision. I managed to swerve and the drunk shaved the side and ripped the rear end out of the car.
    He had no insurance! We had non-insured motorist coverage. IM lucky I wasnt killed.

20. quandel_garage

quandel_garage

when I was 14 my dad had a 72 swb chevy pikup, factory 396, sweet ride. Well they went out of town and made the mistake of leaving the keys,. That weekend I drove it into town and raced everyone that would line up with me . I blew the doors off everyone. When I was leaving to head back home out of town I got into it and there was a cop on the side of the road and there came the lights, 30mins later and my face in the dirt. I was hand cuffed put in the back of the police car and my dad was called. my ass will never be the same after that beating
    \

21. Every chance I got!!! :D

66 Sedan deVille doing one-legged burnouts on snow tires......:eek:

How's that for a mental picture? :cool:

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

never had the opportunity.
    summers i worked and saved, 11th and 12th grade worked after school and saved..my jobs were close enough to walk or ride my bike. right after i got my learners permit, i went and bought my teachers 1968 dodge charger. paid for it all with my savings and continued to work to pay for everything else that car needed. moved out when i was 18.

23. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Yep, My mom had a 64 98 Olds with a 425 and i used to run it pretty hard. One night I took it out to a long stretch of deserted road and burried the speedo over 120mph, man that thing ran good! Next day my dad was driving it to work and the motor Blew:eek::eek: Holy crap, I felt bad for Years!

24. '72 Chrysler New Yorker 4 dr with a 440. Smoking burnouts, bench seat, stereo radio scan button on the floor next to the dimmer. Oh, yeah.

25. always had my own cars,but my mom had a 80s monte carlo v8 with a posi rear -man did that thing do killer burnouts! this thread is the reason my son has to get his own car and own insurance!

26. big-daddy-george

big-daddy-george
    from New York

I learned to drive and passed my drivers test in my father's 4 speed 61 Corvair model 500 Lakewood Station Wagon. Still has the plate on the dash where the radio could go. I still have it today with 66,000 miles on it's all redone. I just took the original tires off of it and am putting a set of 700 x 13 wide whites from Coker. Very rare car.

27. AstroMonkey

AstroMonkey

Yup, me and a bunch of my buddies that I let drive it too.

DukesofHazarding over some local rail road tracks in an 83 Buick was a pretty regular occurrence.

28. slategrove

slategrove

Dad taught me to drive in his 1959 Bel-Air, 3 speed with overdrive and passing gear!!! Got to take that car out alot... Prom night had my date next to me, my buddy and his date in the back seat on an open blacktop road in rural Iowa, once in overdrive doing about 75 hit the passing gear (next to the dimmer switch) and got it up to about 105mph before I backed down... I felt like I was flying in an aircraft carrier! Man that passing gear felt awesome!!!

No accidents in my parents cars, saved those for mine...had a 1972 GMC Jimmy with a new 350, 4 bbl carb and 36 inch tires. Front bumper looked like a cattle catcher, and in the gypsum quarries in Iowa, that truck was unstoppable!!! Drove it right through the back of an old mans car one day at a stop light...had the top off trying to light a cigarette when I was 17, didn't even hit the brakes. I thought I killed the guy, turns out it was his 80th birthday. Not a scratch on my truck...sold it when gas prices were going up (if I only knew that we'd be paying close to $4 now). Man I miss that truck!!!

29. Mopar34

Mopar34

NO. If I did then I would be on the receiving end of the abuse.:eek::D

Soon as I turned 16, my dad took me car shopping since he was not inclined to let me have the family sedan. I got a 56 Ford Fairlane Victoria 2 door hardtop (this was in 1962) at a very reasonable $800. Two tone, Coral and white, with a 292 V8. Sweet car! :cool:

Due to needing cheaper transportation I sold it to buy a 60 VW. What a mistake.:(

30. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Between my brother and I, our dad traded 3 cars in towed to the dealer on the end of a wrecker hook.