Register now to get rid of these ads!

hot rod or street rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyford40, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

A local club is having a show. They want only hot rods, so their ad reads "NO STREET RODS". I thought they were the same. Aren't street rods and hot rods the same thing? What do you think?

2. simplyMyself

simplyMyself

Could be they are looking for the traditional rods and not the billet queens that try and show up.

3. HotRod_Joe

HotRod_Joe

Not the same thing. Alot of people who aren't very knowledgeable think they are. A street rod is more, for lack of a better term, flashy. You know, expensive paint jobs, alot of billet, etc. They've also got a lot of modern stuff for comfort. Big cushy seats, A/C, radios, power steering, power windows, power locks, etc.

Basicaly, they're a modern car with an old body style.

4. I second HotRod Joe.

5. Stizzealth

Stizzealth

Which local club is this? I'd like to attend.

6. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

you've been here 6 months and you have to even ask that???? holy shit man. please say you're trying to be funny because if you're serious, you really need to re-evaluate your hot rod paradigm...

7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Heh...

8. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Its the Alterboys its in Natick later this summer. It was posted on the H.A.M.B. last week.

9. simplyMyself

simplyMyself

Good point! Build it to drive it and drive it as much as you can. That is how I do...

Street Rods are trailer queens and sun shine only gleemers.

10. Here's how this will probably play out. Flamethrowers will be deployed. Popcorn will be eaten. Bunnies will appear wearing pancakes. Some one will say, "A street rod has a small block Chevy in the front and a can of wax in the back. A hot rod has a flathead in the front and a tool box in the back." They will attribute this to Vic Edelbrock or Don Garlits, or some pioneer. More flaming and finally thread closure by a mod.

11. chopdtop

chopdtop

A fat kid in a basket is the new bunny wearing a pancake!

Attached Files:

12. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I've been in hot rodding since the 50's, and been a member of a street rod club since the 70's; I actually thought we were all hot rods. That's whty I asked the question. Lets see what others think.

13. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

hot rods: built for the purpose speed and performance, a hot rod is one that is assembled from parts and with the styling of a certain period.

street rod: built for more comfort, with less emphasis on speed, most street rods are built with mass produced parts, much of which are not of original materials such as steel, now replaced with fiberglass. The sudden appearance of "cry baby" dolls, fanny packs, body odor replaced with the scent of expensive after-shave, and communicating with words such as; "market share", "hedge fund", "all things considered", and "bottom line" are all dead give-aways that you are in the close proximity of a "street rod"
    Also, be on the lookout for anyone who thinks that George Barris is related to Chuck Barris

Some hot rods which look very traditional, but a made with bodies of fiberglass may or may not be considered a hot rod by all....but, thats a thread for another day and would require much popcorn, beer and would eventually lead to some sort of mayhem, chaos, the over use of words unbecoming to a group such as ours :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. Stizzealth

Stizzealth

I think the catchphrase commonly bandied around goes as follows:

Street rodders call themselves hot rodders.
    Hot rodders DON'T call themselves street rodders.

15. yes and no. the term "street rod" was coined by 'STREET RODDER' magazine in the early 70's. the thought was that the term "hot rod" or "hot rodder" had a bad reputation and they wanted to change the image of the hot rodder to a more positive one. so for years they were one in the same. recently, with the popularity of the traditional "hot rod" rising to the top and people have to label everything, so, the two terms have been separated.

hot rod

[​IMG]

street rod

[​IMG]

16. not if you just answer the question. like we use to do around here.

17. T-Roy

T-Roy

^^^ Great explanation, rather than telling the guy he's a moron.

18. 2002p51

2002p51

Street Rod:

[​IMG]

Hot Rod:

[​IMG]

19. t-vicky

t-vicky
    from Kansas

To me a Hot Rod looks just as good without fenders as it does with them.

20. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Alterboys show is sep 20.

21. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Actually- they were calling nicer cars "Street Rods" in the 1950's- on the street and in print in the magazines.

22. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

This is a good show. You should go either way.

23. Why try to define it, I guess to see who's D--K is the biggest. I think there are nice cars in both so called classes as well as junk. Same with people, there are good folks in both and also jerks. Has been that way since I can remember! I don't like the crybaby craze either, but I don't hold it against someone, see some stupid stuff with the so called traditional cars too.

24. 31whitey

31whitey

gotta agree with JIM A

dont want to define either

just saying term was NOT a street rodder magazine original

FEB 1958[​IMG]

25. hollywood 423

hollywood 423
    from west ohio

As has often been said on here, a street rod has a chevy in front and a can of wax in the back. A hot rod has a flathead in front and a toolbox in the back..

26. if its got a license plate its a street rod;)

27. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

The last time I looked at HOT ROD magazine it had no hot rods in it.

28. DrJ

DrJ

That's why Henry Gregor Felsen, author of "HOT ROD" was able to "steal" the title for another book titled "STREET ROD" back in the early 50's... :rolleyes:

A STREET ROD IS ANY HOTROD THAT has a license plate on the back and IS registered and DRIVEN ON THE STREET.

A HOT ROD that is not also a Street rod is one that isn't legal to drive on the street and IS therefore A TRAILER QUEEN and hauled to race tracks by another vehicle.

ETA: Some of you guys type faster than I do... :cool:

29. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

This one will get them going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.