Register now to get rid of these ads!

First time to El Mirage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drunkrock, Apr 16, 2007.

1. drunkrock

drunkrock
    from Long Beach

A buddy and myself are goin to El Mirage dry lakes in early may for the L.S.R. (land speed record) events and would like to bring my trailer out there to stay in for the weekend and i was wondering if anybody could give any suggestions or insight on what to expect or just anything regarding El Mirage dry lakes and the weekend that i am going since we have never been before. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

drunkrock-

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Expect it to be cold, hot, dusty, dirty, loud, and fun.

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Also remember, no glass containers (Beer bottles) on the lake bed. if you have a camp fire, no nails in the wood. The fire must be in a contained (metal) bed. You must remove the ashes when you leave. 25mph speed limit. keep down the dust. Cars, bikes, buggys going in every direction. Look out!

4. There are not alot of home comforts, such as places to plug in your trailer, dump your tanks, buy stuff you forgot, etc.

You must bring everything you think you will need. Food, a place to cook it, water, propane, lanterns, toiletries, lots of clothing because it could be real cold at night. Stuff to tie down your popup canopy so it wont fly away..

It sucks when its real windy because they can shut down the course.
    If you are a drinker, behave yourself, but have a good time. If you are an ass, the BLM will get you if the other racers dont get you first.

Its actually a fun time. Come on out.

5. Justin B

Justin B

what everyone else said plus the road in sucks, stay to the right side of the lake as you head out there. bring a bike or other mode of transportation besides the trailer so you can check out the pitts and get around a little easier. if you're bringing a dirt bike/quad/buggy respect the race area and don't go throwing around the dirt as the course moves after each event and course prep duty sucks especially when you have to patch in the dirt where someone was doing donuts.
    also bring a camera/ binoculars
    you'll probably get hooked after your first time

anyways see ya out there.

6. drunkrock

drunkrock
    from Long Beach

Is it pretty self explanatory as to where we can camp at or is there more to it. My buddy thats goin with me went to bonneville for the first time last year and he has not shut up about it since he got back, so i am very excited to get out there for my first time. Thanks for the heads up guys.

7. Planning the same thing for October - except we're coming from the UK, so guess we won't be towing a trailer...

8. flatheadjunk

flatheadjunk
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange CA

Everyone else has said pretty much what you need. You are going to love it-----------nothing cooler than the 2nd or 3rd generation running the same car ( and there are several ) Don't be afraid to come up to the crews and ask questions or just introduce yourselve (s) we love to meet new folks as much as anyone else.Look us up. car#'s 808 ( '29 roadster, blown flathead) and 587 ( '29 roadster with a blown Mouse ) Hell, there might even be a cold beer for you.The coolest thing about land speed racing is it is just like drag racing used to be, cool people, common ground and no second thoughts if someone needs help.

9. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

Youre Gonna Love It!

We'll be out there in our Crown RV so look for us

10. usedall9

usedall9

See ya there...! It's F'n Fun
    Go As often as I can...

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

the camping deal is pretty self explantory. You will have no difficulty

12. drunkrock

drunkrock
    from Long Beach

Thanks once again guys, 2 weeks and counting

13. kid berzerker

kid berzerker

stupid question: We're getting ready for this event......just wondering if there are any porta-potties set up? (for my kids)

14. What weekend is it?

15. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

The SCTA sets up porta potties all around the pit area. They have a food / snack stand also.

Like everyone else said, bring anything you might think you need.

Also, the BLM and the SCTA are very strict about assholes doing stupid stuff.....be respectful of the area and the people who use it for racing.

16. Yes, along the pit areas. There is not much if you camp out somewhere else. I think there are a few bathrooms along the North side of the lakebed.

I just pee outside and eat lots of cheese the day before. Don't need any pooper after that.:cool:

17. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

MAY 17-18

18. Maybe i'll run out there sunday...

19. Come early, as the wind starts picking up after 12..most of the time but not always.

20. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

The Old Crow crew will be out there as well. Come and find us.....Lucky

21. Take a left onto the first dirt entrance off of the paved road, then drive a straight shot for what seems like a few miles to the west end of the lakebed. It's a little harder to find at night. I've been there once in maybe ten times when the food vendor wasn't there. A radio is good to have for listening to the action when you're not close to the starting line.

Thanks,
    Kurt

22. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

Do not enter on the dirt road, it is private. A little to the East, 1-2 miles, is a big sign raised on telephone poles. The sign has the SCTA logo and race dates posted. The road is paved with speed bumps. This puts you on the East end of the lake bed. Drive West, keeping to the North shore(right side). You will find the pits, inspection area, etc. about 4 miles in.

DW

23. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

Do they charge for camping or any entrance fees?

24. By "paved road" I meant the same one you're talking about, not the main highway/road. Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks,
    Kurt

25. Nope.

That brings up a question I've had in the back of my mind, and I think I know the answer, but ...

Are there any fees for racing?

Thanks,
    Kurt

26. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

Racing fees are roughly:

$80 to race if you are a member of an SCTA club
    $150 to race as a guest entry, you get to start last

All vehicles that race must pass tech inspection. Must be safety equipped to the existing class record. That means if your class record is in excess of 160 MPH you must meet all safety for that speed and higher. All cars must have full roll cages, etc.

The days of showing up and running are long gone.

DW

27. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Not yet..They are building a visitors center and there will be charge's in the future to go/camp out on the property. It kinda sucks but it is really needed. There are a bunch of A-holes that go out there and tear up the lake bed and so on...Some people think they can do whatever they want to out there..I'm sure Dan could elaborate better than me.....Lucky