Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stuck engine+marvel oil=sucess, almost

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gas pumper, May 6, 2008.

1. gas pumper

gas pumper

So this thing hasn't run for 5 or 6 years. Can't move the crank but about 1/4 inch. Take out the plugs yesterday, dump Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder, maybe one or two onces.
    Went back today and got it rocking back and forth, took two hours, but got it to finally spin.
    Some critter lived in the air cleaner, probably pissed in the carb, carb was completly full of nest stuff down to the blades. blades rusted shut. rust flakes in intake below carb.
    Put some gas in the plug holes to break up the oil, crank with starter, blow shit all over the place. Do it again. Check the points, clean, put juice to the coil, make spark.
    Put a good carb on, put the plugs in, prime the throat, crank, no run.
    Got spark, plugs wet with oil.
    Flush the holes again, went home. try again tomorrow.

What's the answer, Am I gonna be able to clean enough oil out of the cylinders to not foul the plugs?
    Or just tow the junk to the scrap yard.
    It's a 69 GMC 6500 or 7500 Bucket Truck with one of them no power V-6's.

Frank

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Pull valve covers and look at valves...likely some of those are stuck open. Oil and keep at it.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

An engine with all or most valves stuck will crank faster than normal because of lack of resistance from compression--fast and smooth, doesn't sound like normal cranking.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

It seems to be a Bad Idea to start that engine
    You're going to damage things.
    If you value the engine, disassemble it, clean all the parts, pre-oil everything thoroughly, replace rings and gaskets, do the valves and you may have a decent engine.

Its cheaper and better to do it right
    .............maybe you just want to make it run to see how much damage you can do?

5. gas pumper

gas pumper

I don't really value this engine or truck, If it runs, I need to fix some other things and use it a little this summer. If it eats itself up, it's scrap and I'll replace it with a newer one.
    I paid 2500 for it 10 years ago, It must weigh 15,ooo lbs.So scrap price is nice. So it don't really owe me anything.

And Bruce, the cranking speed with the plugs back in was normal, like it has compression. And it didn't hiss out the carb, like a stuck intake valve does.

Thanks for the replys, I'll press on tomorrow and let youse know

Frank

6. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Personally, I'd pull the covers and lube the valve seals/stems. Other than that, your good to go.
    The MMO can take up to 2 days to wash down the cylinders... Let it sit and do it's job.
    Starting fluid is your friend ;)

Oh, and BTW, it's a megga-torque, no HP motor you have there. Dont scrap it, someone will want it

7. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

I just took my F-100 that sat for 20 years for it's first ride yesterday.
    And my driver is a 59 Edsel that sat from 1977-2007.

You are on the right track but patience, grasshopper.
    Take off the valve covers, put some mystery oil in an old fashioned pump oil can. Soak the tops of the valves with MO. Pump a few squirts in the intake. Mix it with the gas. Mix it in the oil.

My F-100 had 3 stuck valves which turned into 3 bent pushrods. Have someone crank it over while you watch the valve action and you'll know which ones need some love.
    Pull the plugs and let it spray that oil out, you should get enough out to not foul the plugs.