Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ancient East Coast Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 00 MACK, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Thanks for posting these.
    Its made my night.

2. Very cool pics

Thanks!

3. born2late

born2late

You are correct, "The Road Nights" was the original club. "Kustom Nights" is his current club. Warren Dorman set me straight. Warren is a life long friend of Slims and my sons "Rodfather". The sedan delivery is nice as well. Damn low!!

4. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Oh yeah!That guy Warren is hard core.

5. This is a fantabulous thred!! The East coast is awesome!

6. Anthony:
    That Shoebox of Len Legere's is actually his second one.The first was also a convertible and had the trunk cut in half with 58 Edsel taillights starting at the windsplits and going across the back.Was painted metallic green.Used to see it at the Adventure Car Hop on Route 1 in Saugus MA(my hometown) in 59 and 60.
    I talked to my cousin yesterday and he's going to dig out some old pictures and e-mail them out to me.Ought to be interesting.

7. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Cool Ray!I knew that already because you clarified that on another thread.

8. customcory

customcory

Lenny Legeres Shoebox has always intrigued me, I love that car! This is a great thread. MORE PICS!:D

9. The gold 40 Ford in the first post was taken at the Teaneck Armory. Ill never forget those windows.

Man why dont someone in NJ hold a car show there again?

10. Very kool pics, Anthony!! Love the pics and love the cars. You East Coast guys built very interesting rides...

Joel

11. teddyp

teddyp

bobby got a big kick out of that picture:D

12. Timmy Z

Timmy Z

wow cool pics thanks for sharing...

13. RoyalCrown32

RoyalCrown32

A friend of mine bought the car a couple of years ago. He restored it as it was in 1965/1966. I'll ask him to post some pics here. He's a HAMBer too.

14. premium

premium
    from Goergia

very very nice!

15. glassguy

glassguy

hey ray!! any luck with those pics??? ive been sending them to lenny jr.. tahnks dave

16. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Man, some beautiful customs here. I know this is sort of a stupid question, but how far West did "East coast" customs proliferate? It would seem to me that Chicago/Detroit/ and maybe even some "MidWestern" states qualify , as those cars would be more likely to hit shows on the East coast rather than West.
    It sure seems like a LOT of the full blown sleds came from East of the Mississippi.

17. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

i would like to see more pics of lenny legeres shoebox!!! i would love to build an inspired version of it one day. i have the ones that white posted and these, also would like to see more Renegade pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i believe the one on top is the first one

18. If he's got any of Adventure Car Hop can you post them too?

19. Thanks on the Art Russel's post if you can.

20. anton

anton

pictures of my car, the Art Russell roadster

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

this thread just gets better and better..

22. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

23. Church Key

Church Key

Hi Ray, I hope you have a picture of Adventure Car Hop. I have never seen a picture of it before. I know where it was located, but it was a Howard Johnsons when I was a kid.

24. Crap...even all the Ho' Jo's are gone!
    Just try asking for a Ginnsburger in McDonald's!!
    Its enough to get you arrested!
    Erm...uh....
    I've heard.

25. Actually Howard Johnson's was located at the traffic circle(now eliminated)where Route 1 and Route 99 intersected.The Adventure Car Hop was on the northbound side of Route 1 just before the Walnut St. overpass.The last time I was out there it was an empty lot.Caruso's Diplomat was next to it but that has changed hands several times since then.

Here are a couple of related pictures:A menu that a good friend and fellow striper Richie Canto(from Wakefield MA)made from an original menu(complete with mustard stain on the bottom inside)and a b&w photo and painting created by Bill MacGregor(originally from Malden)now living in RI.He has prints available if your interested.PM me and I'll give you his contact info.

(note)Pics are too large and I don't know how to reduce.

Attached Files:

26. Bill MacGregor (the Junk Yard artist) didn't have any good photos to go by for his painting They're as scarce as hens teeth!I hope you figure a way to post the pic Ray!

27. Here's Bill's painting and the reference pic I had.Think I got it from Vito Venuti(MSRA).You're right;there are virtually no photos available.The only history I remember is that is was started by a man named Jorge Virellos(sp?)and he sold it around 1963 and built another place across the highway called,"Jolly Jorge's"which was a hangout in the late 60's.He had a much younger wife(platinum blonde,long legs,etc.)who drove a 56 Ford convertible painted a reddish pink.Could have been the inspiration for the blonde in the T-Bird in American Graffiti.Used to see her at the Adventure all the time.Definite adolescent fantasy material.

Remember seeing a lot of wild rides there and some pretty serious racing.Len Legere used to be up there with the green Shoebox;saw the Kandy Kart(Barris chopped 58 Impala w/a silver Carson top)a few times;some guy with a chopped white GMC pickup with skirts and a Continental kit(!)that I think was Cadillac powered;I know it was a screamer.Mike Murphy had an Olds powered Henry J in primer that was really squirrely(no traction at all);Doug Whitehouse had his maroon 40 Chevy convertible that was Olds powered.A kid named Rich Oliveri from Everett had a red and white 57 Chevy 4-door h/t with a Corvette grill and a serious 283 with tripower. Roy Bacon had a silver 61 SS convertible(409)that my buddy Paul used to trounce badly with his 61 SS(red 350hp 348).

Anyway here are the pics.

Attached Files:

28. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Hey O Doyle!That aint it

29. Church Key

Church Key

Ray, Thank you for clearing up the history on Adventure Car Hop. All these years I was under the impression that it was at the site of the Ho Jo's. I have seen the Junk Yard Artist around at several local shows. Now that I know he is a former Maldenite, I will have to strike up a conversation about the old home town.

30. Florian

Florian