Register now to get rid of these ads!

Toe in Question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old beet, Apr 30, 2008.

1. old beet

old beet

On my 49 Merc, the right front tire wears on the outside. Do I have too much toe in or not enough? ...............OLDBEET

2. R Pope

R Pope

If its just one tire wearing, it isn't toe in that's the problem. The wheel may be leaning out on top. Get a shop to align it.

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

agreed. too much positive camber. Check bushings and stuff before you take it in.

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or bearings, bent spindle etc. Yup get it checked before your singin' 'You chose a fine time to leave me loose wheel'

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can you slide your hand one way but catch the feathered edges of the tread going the other way? That would show if it was toed in too much or out to much. If the tread is just wearing on the outside couple of tread rows while the rest of the tire looks to be normal and there is no sign of the tire dragging sideways causing the feathering ( I don't know how else to describe it) then you would have excessive camber.

How does it drive? does it want to drift to the right? Or ?

6. hippie6

hippie6

If it was a toe issue both tires should wear. Toe will equal-out as you drive. ie; if one tire is -.30 and the other is .0 when you move (drive )the car both will be out -.15. sounds to me like a camber issue.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

good point. That is normally how it goes.