Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody get anything from JC Whitney that DOESN'T suck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Abomination

Abomination

[​IMG]

You know, about everything I've ever bought or heard of folks buying off of JC Whitney totally bites. I was just thinking... is there ANYTHING that ANYBODY here's gotten from them that didn't?

I mean, come on! EVERYTHING they sell CAN'T be total crap! Surely SOMEBODY has SOME kind of story about the thingamabob they bought from 'em that they can't do without and has laster like 20 years or some such anecdote...

~Jason

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

sorry,, same experiance as you

3. mac762

mac762

I bought some high lift coil springs for the front of my 66 El Camino. I haven't installed them yet but I know a guy who has some on a 65 El Camino. They really lifted the sucker up. He loved em' so I figured I would too. First thing I've ever bought from em'.
    I'm planning on using those and some balljoint spacers. PS JC Whitney does sell some name brand stuff.

4. deucemanab

deucemanab

Seat Belts,good Quality.

5. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's been awhile since I've bought anything from them. But, the motor in my '55 Mercury was rebuilt with genuine J.C. Whitney parts about fifteen years ago. It's still going strong so the stuff back then wasn't too bad. :) In fact, alot of the stuff was name brand old stock. :confused:

6. chopped

chopped

V.W. lower door skins. Work great on 36 Chevys. No one makes a repop.

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I bought exhaust U bends from them. made OK headers. Now I buy them on line cheaper.

8. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Their high pressure shocks are Grabrial and I have had good luck with them, Also bought receiver hitch and the wiring for my Sonoma from them with no quality issues.

9. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Bought a gas tank in about 93 for my Bronco. No problems

10. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Yeah, I used to buy lots of stuff from JC whitney. Some of thier stuff is junk, usually those things that seem to cheap to be true (like those 250W speakers I bought for $20 or something like that).

I bought a new soft top for my Triumph TR6 that was nice. I also bought a body kit for my 1980 Mustang that was nice (hey it was the '80s!) :D

Mike

11. Pete1930

Pete1930
    from Boston

I've bought some stuff from them over the years. If it says in the ad it's the brand name deal, then ok. If it don't, you're rollin' the dice.

Pete

12. OldsGuy

OldsGuy

I bought a DC operated vacuum cleaner from them that doesn't suck.

Couldn't resist. Actually I agree with a few posts above about you get what you pay for. I have gotten some decent stuff from them in the past, most recently a column mounted turn signal assembly with harness, clamp, flasher unit and everything. Not bad stuff.

13. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

I'll second the seat belts, and they do have a good double flaring tool that works better than any of the comparable cheapo's I've had.

14. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Yep, what I was going to add. I bought a Tonneau cover for my GMC pickup, came from a name brand, shipped quick, does what it's supposed to. The no- name-brand stuff seems like a gamble. The sheetmetal I've gotten from there was "close"...:rolleyes:

15. 63_nova_ss

63_nova_ss

haha, depends on what you buy. i wouldnt buy any major mechanical parts, but i would think accessories and small parts would be okay.

16. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I ordered a set of rear springs for a 59 Chevy from them 5 or so years ago. I could tell right away that they probably weren't right. The box said 59 Cadillac on it.

The springs were a little larger diameter than they should be and a lot shorter. In fact, they just contacted the pockets with the frame sitting on the axle.

I had to argue with the lady on the phone to get them to take them back. She kept telling me her computer said they were the right ones. I had to pay shipping both ways but did get a credit for the springs.

I'll never order from them again.

17. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Rockers and floor pans for my 72 Chevy truck were decent.

18. rixrex

rixrex

Yes, I got a convertable top for a Nash Metropolitan than was fine and fit well...I'm getting ready to send off for a new plastic dash and door panels for my 86 Chevy Pickup, anyone have any experience with that kind of stuff?....

19. I bought several V.W. patch panels over twenty years ago, from what I remember they fit just fine. Car is long gone.

20. PollockzRodz

PollockzRodz

Their shifters work out great Ive bought 3 so far and they have all worked out fine in the hot rods. Im talkin bout the automatic shifters that are just the plain jane type. Now you can get them on Ebay cheaper though haha. Ive noticed that the newer jc whitney stuff is cheaply made junk mostly but they still have some good seat covers haha
    -Jon

21. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

All there stuff comes from the company that makes it. I have been buying from them since the late 60s, never got a bad part.
    A body shop in Lasalle IL. used there quarter panels because they were better than the factory ones. They have B&M shifters,Hi-Jacker air shocks,Since there move from Chicago to Lasalle they got better.

22. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Their catalogue works great at the bottom of my bird cages.

23. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Their carpet sets used to be good quality, but I was buying them 25 years ago. In high school (mid '70s), a friend ordered about $10 worth of junk and received a package from them with a dual quad M/T cross ram for a SBC in it! Apparently, J.C.W. never figured it out, either. I always liked how they figured shipping cost by value of order and not total weight like everyone else on the planet does. By their method, a 1 lb. $100 part costs more to ship than a 20 lb. $20 part.

24. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I bought some sheet metal from them cheap and some jute carpet padding and that seems fine too

25. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

I bought a molded carpet kit which was excellent quality, also seatbelts were good.... A pair of turbo style glasspack mufflers which I was happy with. I never had any problems, just their shipping is expensive.

26. I used to work at a plant that manufactured a rather large item..We drop shipped orders for them daily...rather not say what the item was as they are
    still selling the items...same product that other dealers sold.not a cheaper version...so I guess it all depends on the items you order from them.

27. Abomination

Abomination

Yeah, I always wondered WTF happened in the quality department. Can't blame 'em for getting stuff cheaper so they can pass the savings on, but I guess even THEY get what they pay for. :)

~Jason

28. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

I've bought stuff from them in the past and it's always a crap shoot. Most stuff IS just cheap JUNK, but once in a while, I'd get a part or tool that was worth the price. Bought a car stereo once that was kinda neat, and it even WORKED...for a few months at least.

Ha Ha...you get what ya pay for I suppose!!

:D

29. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I haven't bought from them in about eight years but I never had a problem, I bought lots of stuff from them like carpets, springs, accessories I think as long as they have a brand name in the add you are safe but if you are buying piston rings and they are the cheapest they sell and have no brand name in the add well then I would say it's your fault for being so cheap and good luck on rebuilding your motor again.

30. aftermarket seat belts, THEY'S GOOD.