Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who rides Friction/Lever Shocks??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlamCouver, Apr 29, 2008.

1. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Iv decided to go with friction shocks on the front of my coupester and need some photos and comments from other HAMBers. i did a search but couldnt find what i was looking for.

how cost effective is it? do they need to be rebuilt/replaced faster?

I need some pictures of how others have mounted the lever shocks they ride.

Thanks,
    Slam.

2. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

need pictures please, lots and lots of pictures.

3. Ray Frey

Ray Frey
    from Arizona

Here is what I did
    I used the ones from Speedway and welded them to frame
    then used Heim ends to axle
    Not the best of pictures but I can probably get better tomorrow
    Thanks
    Ray

Attached Files:

4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here's mine

Attached Files:

5. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

I build my own in aluminum.......

Attached Files:

6. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are the shocks on the front of my T.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

I put a set of early chevy ones on my modified and have no problems

8. They helped out a lot on the front of our roadster. I'll post pics later.

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I seriously love lever/friction/knee action shocks (whatever the name of these things are)... Here's some threads for you...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127769&highlight=lever+shock

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21361&highlight=lever+shock

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154896&highlight=friction+shock

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133258&highlight=friction+shock

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33053&highlight=friction+shock

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23928&highlight=friction+shock

Here's what I'm going to be running on my Model A in all four corners. They will be mounted transversely (parallel to the axles)

[​IMG]

NOS military shocks. Were in the original wood crates when I got them and were dated 1951 I believe. Were on various heavy military trailers and are pretty stiff. Car should rail for sure! :D

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I am pretty stoked about using the ones I have on my coupe. They are one of those things that people go ape shit over. I happen to be on of them. Don't friction shocks not serve the same purpose as knee action or tube shocks? I thought there was a thread about that a couple weeks ago.

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes! Same deal just different construction. One is hydraulic and uses a series of channels in a radial plunger to control the amount of resistance (vs. the liniar mounted plunger design in tube shocks). The other is pure friction and usually uses leather or a material with similar frictional properties and simply tightening a bolt will control the amount of friction in each shock. Some pure friction type shocks have multiple pads and usually a belleville type washer to keep the friction constant.

Much cooler looking than tubular type, but then I'm pretty biased. :rolleyes:

12. These were shop built. we used a thick piece of industrial brake material sandwiched between the arm and body. I use Belleville washers to hold the tension.

Attached Files:

13. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I just got rid of those "Speedway friction shocks" man they couldnt handle any stress, I had to constantly lighten the bolts, they did not work for me at all, on my roadster.
    I plan on using, late 30's, Houdaille adjustable knee action shocks, on my Model A coupe.

14. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

awesome, im getting some good ideas from the advice and pictures. the application of these shocks realy looks great.

15. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

no pics but similar to hotrodman 2000 pics, im going to use armstrong lever shocks from an MG

16. I have a box of them I need to test and see if they are any good, Ford hyd. lever type. The hyd. are supposed to be difficult to rebuild at home, I hope they work.

17. I had to make new bolts and use cotter keys to keep them tight. They originally had nylon stop nuts. I have found that if there is a turning motion they nylon stop nuts will loosen. This is on my shocks that we made.

18. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

19. AP3President

AP3President

Does anyone have any experience using these with 1/4 elliptical spring set up? the friction shocks from Speedway aren't doing the job and I want to go to these fluid lever action shocks.... what make and model are you guys using that would mount like these?

20. rmcroadster

rmcroadster

Look very similar to the Girling brand hydraulic shocks.
    They were used on many British brands, and very late too. Still being used on MGB's in 1980, and probably on other British Leyland cars. You shouldn't find it too hard to pick up a set second hand or rebuilt. I wouldn't be surprised if you can buy new too.
    Matthew