Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Model A Truck will soon Scream under new Power

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, Oct 15, 2007.

1. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Wicked Looking truck!! Love the truck and the cage! is that a Pro-tools bender your using??

2. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Thanks, it is very similiar to a ProTool manual bender, mine is made by Chuck's Motorsports...These designs are all copied off a Hossfield bender for the most part....Littleman...getting closer to lighting it off...my favorite part!!!..

3. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I have these tall port aluminum heads...no problem.....until I tried to bolt on the old Offenhauser 6x2 intake........The intake did not cover the ports, not even close, you could drop quarters in them on the high side....So I called the Head manufacture and they said you need such and such intake gasket #, they are .125'' thick and it will all line up...So I ordered up the gasket set, at first glance it look as if it would work....But not when you actually tried to bolt it on, it still left room to put dimes down into the ports..........Not being able to sleep because of this little snag I ran into, I ventured out back at 12:30 at night and pre heated the intake and Tig welded some aluminum beads over each pair of ports on the intake. Then the following night came up with a way to mount it up on the milling machine and indicate it in and mill the all important intake gasket surface....Today I was able raise each port runner to mach the head runner size and have plenty left over to do the sealing duties that they lacked from the get go.............Old speed parts rebelling against the new....Littleman...In the pic you can see the new raised surface over all the ports......and I do not have to use them thick gaskets....I think they look as if they were always their..

[​IMG]

4. tmacracin

tmacracin

Littleman
    I ran into this on my last blown alky SBC when I put raised runner heads on it. I did the same thing you did and it worked good @ 26 pounds of boost so you should be good. You might have to run a set of double thick cork valve cover gaskets so the covers don't hit the manifold. What heads are you running?

5. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I see you run in the low 7's @ 190mph!!! in a T Roadster......Wow, is all I can say......I know plenty of Dragsters you put to shame.....I am running Patriot heads...I only went with them after talking to a local Pro engine builder, he had a set on a guy's roundy round car engine on the dyno and it made 600hp....so they sounded good enough for what I was going to do...He said they would give me the best bang for the buck...so we shall see. I normally do not make it a habit to purchase off brand cheaper in price stuff..cheap does not mean its right or correct.. like I will not run off brand cheap harmonic balancers even if they are SFI certed or build and run a engine that has not been balanced ect.ect. Most of the time I think cheap is nothing but an illusion.. I have always believed in spending my money just once, but it does not always work out that way....This is the first time I bought a crucial part that I felt was a little too cheap sounding, but the heads look good and checked out after I got them. Almost time to fire this Donkey up and see! The heads are 64cc w/195cc runners and has 2.05/1.60 valves with 1.6 aluminum rockers and girdles.....More head than the stock 2.02 camel humps I was running.....Littleman

6. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I have been looking for one of them old B/M shifters, almost just bid on one on ebay the other day, but it was missing all of its stickers....And for some reason that bothered me, I want mine with its original stickers and such.....I swapped out the Lokar because it would jump out of gear on these rough Ohio roads and allways had to drive with my hand supporting it..So with all the changes I am making I decided to yank it in favor of the short armed Genie shifter, its design has a more positive feel and engagement to it to me and no button that I need to rely on...I had put one in DeathsDoorStep and really like it..Yes the Truck has a 350 trans, its a first for me also never used one before..If I had built this truck as a 4 speed...I would be dead by now...I do love 4 speeds thou...and probably it would have run a little slower at the drags....Littleman...I also just added rear Willwood disc brakes the other day so I can stop this donkey once she gets rollin...

7. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

I love this thing man! I love all of your work.

8. Any pics of the brake install? Did they change the look of the truck?

9. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I have the same brakes on the rear of DeathsDoorStep but on a 57 Ford housing....and does not affect the look at all....they are kinda tucked in and not seen too much.....I will post a pic when the wheels go back on the Truck........Thanks, Littleman

Thanks, Remingtonbox...

10. tmacracin

tmacracin

Littleman
    Those Patriot heads are a good deal. A buddy of mine has a dyno in his shop and has seen lots of them in the SBC and BBC heads and he has seen good HP numbers out of them. I ran Pro Action(now RHS) heads on my motor they had 2.08/1.60 valves and had a 242cc port volume out of the box. They made huge power for a 23 degree head.

11. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Well thats good to hear!...always better to hear more than one opinion, I trust the guy that told me to pull the trigger and get the Patriots I found them by accident.....I went with the heads I chose with the hopes of maintaining some street friendly characteristics hence I chose the 195 cc runners w/ the idea of still driving on the street...along w/ my cam choice is geared towards that idea, but at the same time this combo is much more potent than the previous ousted engine........so it should be some real fun this summer..Littleman

12. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Small update...Finally painted the rollbar and interior floor areas after the cage install and got the interior battle ready once again.....Today... finally started going thru all six carbs and refreshing them a bit.......Still have to make some new strong rear wishbones...and find a better shift knob......Littleman

[​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Carbs are on and gone thru..........Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. tmacracin

tmacracin

Bad Ass!!!!!! Looks great!

15. LabRat

LabRat

I just bet your itchin to fire it ......Damn nice .

16. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Oh ya!!!...I am just waiting to dial fire, getting real close..........but I am leaving sometime today to Tuscaloosa Alabama to work on a car for two weeks in a shop....so lighting it up will have to wait....I am thinking of grabbing one of my junk carb tops and tapping the fuel inlet 1/4NPT, to convert everything to AN fittings....Its a real pain to pull the fuel lines off the inlet nipples after the lines shrink.....and as much as I am inside the carbs changing things, the AN fittings would be worth the investment for the time savings.....but that depends on how that inlet will take to threading.........Not to mention I need to finish up the rear suspension bones....Littleman

17. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

dave,i saw these on speedway motors' web site.an answer to your prayers.
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/951,280_Stromberg-97-Fuel-Inlet-Fitting.html

-danny

18. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

19. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

those fittings are 1/2 -20 according to the site. I looked in Aeroquip, Earl's and Russell and didnt see any fuel inlet fittings that size.

Speedway might be having them made.

20. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Another great job Littleman!! That motor looks pretty mean and my guess is you're going to be making some serious hp. Great job!

21. AN's are the way to go... this is where I steer away from the "Traditional ways" but very necessary for performance applications.

I have them on my carbs as well as my transmission for the cooling lines.

I set up every thing so it can be dis-assembled and re-assembled with minimum effort... cause "If you're going to race it... You'll be taking it apart for one reason or another...!"

Hotrods are meant to be Raced!

22. quickrod

quickrod

trucks lookin good dave,i'll have to stop by and take a peek if you don;t mind.you'll have to stop and see the dragster,just got it back from being lettered,looks awesome.

23. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Yes ,I just confirmed w/ my thread gage that they are 1/2''-20........They are in Speedways book...Littleman

24. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I agree w/ you wingnutz
    Army/Navy fittings and braided line have been around a very long time, so I do not mind the look...and its best to build in that user friendly option when ever possible...Alot of the racecars from way back used this stuff....because its bullet proof for the most part....Not to mention by todays NHRA standards I am not allowed much rubber hose in length in the entire system....in the past the Tech guys have looked the other way...but I do not feel good about that so I want to upgrade the fuel line system....Littleman

Brian...I heard the digger looks sharp all lettered.....stop by anytime except in the next two weeks for I am leaving in a couple hours to Alabama to work on a car....Anytime after that thou....Dave

25. Flatman

Flatman

I found the male #5 AN fittings fit into Holley inlets so used a double ended male #5 fitting and a straight female end on the line, works great! #5 line is around 3/8" ID.
    0032.JPG

Flatman

26. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Well.........I popped her off and it sounds Wicked in comparison to the last engine...I have not timed it or set idle as of yet......just hope nothing goes wrong.......We had to swap out the head studs for they were weeping coolant...put in some good head bolts and that has seemed to have done the trick........I got the fittings as we talked about above for the carbs and have had no leaking issues with them. I bought some Drag Slicks to mount....Only a few weeks before the Thompson Gasser Meet..Idealy I would like to get it down the track before that to get a base line, we will see................Shake..Shake.......Vroooooom...Littleman

27. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

This is how it looks all buttoned up......Littteman...I need to find someone that can do a video and sound bite...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. dragsterboy

dragsterboy

DAMN !!! That thing looks good.

29. Looks to clean...lol What kind of scoops are you going to run on those carbs ? A bunch of my friends are going to Thompson from the Gasser Gang maybe if things work out I might get to see this thing up close.

30. wicked willys

wicked willys
    from ne ohio

Littleman,
    The truck looks awsome. Looking forward to Thompson!!!!!!