Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ancient East Coast Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 00 MACK, Apr 26, 2008.

1. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I gotta ask, how much did that roof weigh!

2. born2late

born2late

Herb (Slim) Gellings is a friend of mine. The white shoebox with the Fraiser grille was later repainted a light blue and went by the name of "The Gator" Herb was a member of the Kustom Knights of Pompton Lakes at the time that shot was taken. He is currently cruising a 49 Plymouth convertible that was recently in Kustoms Illustrated. Hell of a nice guy! He tells a story from the Hartford show--seems he and his buds had no money for a hotel room and planned to sleep in the car at the show. Promotor felt bad for them and picked up the tab at the local motel. Drove the car up from Jersey in a snow storm, spent all day detailing it to get the salt and shit off it. Took a trophy and drove it home! Car was in fact torched in a storage barn with another shoebox and a 32 3 window. Makes me cry when he tells the story!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. 00 MACK

00 MACK

That is incorrect.Herb didnt join the Kustom Knights until he was located by Ray Soff in the late 80s.I was there the night he was introduced to the Kustom Knights.He then began work on a 50 Chevy Sedan delivery that was turned into a nice full kustom.

4. stretch 1320

stretch 1320

Cool pics dude! Thanks for sharing.

5. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

sweet!!! awesome pics i like seeing ray soffs car with the bumper on it.

6. thesupersized

thesupersized

awesome post! i want some more pictures!! i have no idea how people say west coast customs are better! look at those headlights on that 57 chevy, cant get any more east coast than that!
    i wasnt aware of lenny legere's 46 mercury. im only aware of the shoeboxes, did he build anything else? got pics?! i hope i find that 40 ford pu! i always like seeing old pictures of cars that i still see around today like ray soffs car! lets see some more ancient east coast customs! anthony, its my grandmother's 92nd birthday tommorow, how about we make a trade for some pictures! i know how you're into older women/toaster ovens!

7. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Here's a couple pics of the Bluebird. One of my faves of all time.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Pretty good, Chris!
    It was freakin' HEAVY!
    The old timers will tell you, bondo was not like it is now, lightweight. Remember, the old Bondo weighed a LOT, and man was it hard to sand! You guys today have it EASY!

9. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Hey O doyle!
    I cant believe ya brought up the toaster oven!I just wrote to someone about that today!
    I havent thought about that for years!

10. ka-zoo

ka-zoo

Man i love early-mid 60's kustoms. I would really like ot know more about this one, maybe even see a side or back shot...

Thanks for sharing these Anthony, theyre great! Let us know if you post the rest of them somewhere else or something (like a photobucket album or something).

11. glassguy

glassguy

this is a great post thanks anthony! any more?

12. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

1940 Merc originally built in 1946 by Meeker auto body in Morristown NJ, then in the late 50's updated by Dick Korkes.

[​IMG]

13. Here's a couple I've posted before awhile back.
    First is a car I owned for a couple years;originally built by my good friend Paul O'Neil starting around 1958(these were taken in 1974) and chopped by Christie Massios.
    Next is a pic of a 56 Ford owned by Larry Hook.Not sure whether this was an original or a re-creation but knowing Larry it was likely an original.
    Next is a car affectionately known as the,"Whale" built by the Carroll Brothers of Chelsea Mass.John Carroll bought it new in 1956 and chopped it the same year.Driven across the country a couple times in the 50's it eventually was turned into a show car and then(of all things)a race car! Had a hilborn injectioned 430 inch Lincoln engine.The pictures are from an e-Bay ad(it was put up after Tim Carroll passed away)and I understand it is being restored.
    Last is a magazine pic of the famous Utopia built by ClarKaiser in Detroit in the 50's.It is currently in Tom Leichty's mini-museum in Onsted Michigan.The color is horrible.

Attached Files:

14. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

I'm quite sure you are correct. I've seen the car race at Sanford Maine back in the day.. Was sharp.
    Pontiac Slim

15. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Hey Ray,That blue 56 Ford was the Balzano car from Rhode Island and was on the cover of Customs Illustrated in that form.The last time I saw your old Chevy ,Dave Ripley had it with skitrts and a 57 Olds back window at Liberty Stae Park in Jersey City in 86

16. I kind of thought it was Frank's(?) car but wasn't sure.The Chevy went through a couple of owners until Bootsie got it.Sadly he also passed away awhile back and I understand someone else owns it now.

I'm trying to get some more pictures from my cousin Dick;hopefully he will come through.

17. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

This one here's in The Cool Cars Square Roll Bars book, I love it.

18. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

the good news about the blue bird is that it IS still around like you said, and the owner reportedly has the Desoto grille in the garage, so it's still around too.

and yes, john, it was dick morse's car first. he ran it with a '39 truck grille.

it is one of my all time favorites, in both forms.

19. hiboyroadsterboy

hiboyroadsterboy
    from Mass

I knew it,I do have some idea whats going on,lol.

20. Clamsy

Clamsy
    from Mass

Here's one of Bluebird with my Dad (middle).

The top pic is of his car - I don't know what happened to it, he sold it in the early 70's.

[​IMG]

21. Great thread, love it........

how about does anyone have any pictures of Art Russell's 32 Plymouth with the olds motor and loung pipes or Doug Symmes 56 ford?

22. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

The Art Russell

23. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

The Art Russell 32 Plymouth used to be owned by Staten Island's own Bob Ferenczi.Bob also had the most radical chopped 51 Merc ragtop on the Island.

24. Yep

Bob bought it from Arts wife on the turntable and trailer,from up state,I knew he sold it, last i saw it,, was in street rodder mag, painted red,,,,,,,,, was a cool car! just wondering if ir was still around and if any one has any more pictures of it

25. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Hey Ron,this is Joe with the yellow 51 Chevy.

26. yo...... thought so,,,wasn't sure

27. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Heres a few more!Starting from the top left we start with a 51 Chevy chopped and beautifully customized by Enfield Auto Body in Lyndhurst N.J.,we then move to John Pasziks famous Jersey 54 Merc "Renegade "which was recently redonr by another Jersey Great ,Bob Barkoff,The chopped shoebox was Lenny Legeres and the gold 55 Chevy was the last incarnation of Irving Kirschners"Princess and the Pirate" done by well known custom builder,Tony Bruskivage who actually worked on both the Renegade and The black chopped Chevy after it was sold to Richie Zadroga in Jersey City New Jersey.

Attached Files:

28. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Anoliks moon bird,Rudy Bems Jersey Jewl,some merc from Paterson and well leave the Henry J alone because its really a 51 Chevy..

Attached Files:

29. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Heres some Rods.

Attached Files:

30. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Thats all for tonight folks!