Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody ever do an Extended cab El Camino?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boldventure, Apr 26, 2008.

1. boldventure

boldventure

This is just a cut up of a scan. I like the proportions better and you could put more stuff in the cab behind the seat. I was just wondering...:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

3. boldventure

boldventure

Why?:cool:

4. There's a cavern behind the seat to start with, besides it would be really hard to improve the profile of a 59.

5. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I was gonna ask you that...

Please, please don't do it.

Forget about the fact that it looks like pickled ass, you'll be screwing up two Elkies to do it.

6. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Buy a wagon.

7. mac762

mac762

Please don't. Those Caminos look custom from the factory. I love em'. You could make a box that would take up as much room in the bed as an extended cab and it wouldn't screw up the lines and you could take it out if you didnt' like it. El Caminos have a whole bed carry stuff around in, no need for the extended cab. Josh

8. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

9. llonning

llonning

Can't help it, I like it to.

10. Swifster

Swifster

First, I think it could be done tastefully. There are numerous junked Elky's that could be used for the donar roof. But as done in your picture, the purportions aren't right. I think you'd need to add the same amount to the body and frame. It would take a lot of work.

11. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

[QUOTE "pickled ass"

Rashy, Your descriptive ability as it applies to the English language is always a treat.

What exactly does that look like?

Or should I just "see photo above"?

GV

12. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I'll show you at Dewey...:D

I think Swifster MAY be right. IT would take a helluva lot of skill to pull it off.

Have you thought about a two door wagon or do you already have the Elky?

13. belair

belair

Another example of "just because you can, don't mean you ought". Good idea, wrong vehicle.

14. boldventure

boldventure

Yeah, me too the stock top always looked to skinny to me.:eek:

15. boldventure

boldventure

I just chopped up a print of the computer, it ain't art yet, and tasteful would be they way I'd go, but don't worry all I have is a picture!

16. kraka138

kraka138

but with that he might as well just buy a flat top 59 gm and slap an elco bed on it...it seems like a lot less work.....but then i gues it would be a "quad" cab elcomino

17. Muttley

Muttley

18. Swifster

Swifster

The thing about an extended 'Camino is that you'd only have to add 6 inches or so. A quad-cab type Elky would be too long. I think you can get away with 6-10 inches, but trying to add a complete second set of doors. Ewwww.

19. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

This is one body that sold in relatively few numbers, compared to it's more door kin. I would agree that it would take above average execution to pull off, but it would be a shame to sacrifice anything but a total basket case for the attempt.
    A '59 Elky wth a 348 is one of my fantasy cars. I can't say your illustration does much for me.

20. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Im definetely not one to tell somebody not to cut something up, but some things are better left alone, I think your photo shows that, Good luck on your camino.

21. lucky 7

lucky 7

Attached Files:

22. My grandparents sold their '59 Buick 4dr to a guy who made a truck out of it.. about 1969 or so. Imagine a 4dr hardtop with the trunk lid removed - extended cab El Camino.

Which actually would be the way to do it if you're set on the project - put 2dr hardtop doors on a 4dr hardtop, shorten the top, and use a rough El-C as a donor for the bed and tailgate. Hardtop the glass and make your own frames. Instead of two posts, use the deeper hardtop backlite. Would look much cleaner. Find a 4dr hardtop pic and play with the proportions.

Actually isn't someone on here doing that with a '60?

23. Squablow

Squablow

Somebody did do this and there are pictures on the HAMB somewhere. It uses a '59 flat-top rear window and roof section. Looks really good too.

I agree that it could be done but you'd be best off to build it out of a 4 door hardtop with a shortened roof and 2 door hardtop doors as opposed to taking an El Camino and stretching the roof.

24. tr12

tr12

just buy a sedan

25. boldventure

boldventure

'Ya either get it or 'ya don't...;)

26. Stanford drew one that was a 4dr wagon with the back of an ElCamino. More of a crew cab ElCamino. It looked stock! I liked it. The extra cab just looks lame.....

27. 63_nova_ss

63_nova_ss

where did you find that? looks like someone has already been considering it? wonder if that concept has already been built.

i have to admit, when i read the thread title, my stomach turned... but it looks pretty cool. be ready for a shit ton of work, and fabbing a lot of one-off parts. not to mention the glass you would have to have made.

but i like

28. 37FABRICATION

37FABRICATION

I try not to be negative, but, not a fan of El Caminos. Unless it's a front clip or rearend from one under something else.:rolleyes:

29. lucky 7

lucky 7

I found this drawing right here on the HAMB..I just dont remember when or where..I must have liked it to have saved it...

30. boldventure

boldventure

Okay, I'll bite, who/what is Stanford where can I see what he/they drew/drawed? I'd really like to see this, despite the sarcasm.