Register now to get rid of these ads!

How did the term "mag" come to be for rims?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zumo, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Zumo

Zumo

We used to say "Check out my new mags." Is that short for something? Where did it originate from?

2. Probably derived from the material from which they we made. HRP

3. old beet

old beet

Think Halibrand!!!.............OLDBEET

4. Foul

Foul

how did the term "rims" become a lazy way of saying "wheels?"
    dan

5. Clark

Clark

"MAG"nesium
    Clark

6. Back in the 50's and 60's, the wheels were made of Magneseum, hence the term "mag's".

7. Magnesium,,was the what the first material used to cast wheels .

and the fact that the word don't look right! HRP

8. Mooseman

Mooseman

some wheels were made from magnesium years ago , the nickname must of stuck

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Magnesium wheels go way back, but were really for well funded racers only...then marketers figured out that aluminum and aluminum/steel rim look-alikes would be cheap and saleable, about 1962 or so, and suddenly mag-looking wheels became the dominant aftermarket wheel overnight. They were briefly referred to as "fake mags" by rodders, then just accepted as the norm and called mag wheels despite the lack of actual mag.
    Real magnesium remains in the province of expensive racing stuff.

10. Zumo

Zumo

No I feel dumb. Of course it's from magnesium, haha. Seems so obvious now. Very cool.

11. meteor

meteor

Hey man, don't feel dumb. I knew 'mag' was for magnesium but didn't know the connection with racing or how the term came about.

Thank you Mr. Lancaster, that's the great thing about the HAMB - you learn something new everyday.

12. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Isn't magnesium flamable. I think it catches fire an is very hard to put out.

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think 1962 is pretty close...til then, chrome wheels or fancy hubcaps; after, everyone wanted mags. When musclecars took over everything about '64, you NEVER saw one without mags of some sort. Stock wheels were just to roll the thing to the speedshop.

14. slopchop

slopchop

Indeed it is! Changing from magnesium was a big safety improvement as well. Just imagine the sparks that fly when you blow a tire on the highway...now picture that when you wheel catches fire that looks as bright as welding...
    A blowout could really become more of a blow up!

15. It's spelled RIMZ...

16. Dubzz

17. Gigantor

Gigantor

It's something I still want more of, regardless of safety ...

18. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

It would make sense to assume "mags" is a contraction for the material they are made of, but you don't don't hear other wheels called "alums"...so, I discount that theory out of hand. A lot of cars sporting "racing wheels" were featured in MAGAZINES during that period, thus the coined term "MAGS"

I'm bullshiting.

19. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

A bike has RIMS, A car has WHEELS???????????

20. RancheroMan

RancheroMan

i think in early 60's that was about the time cragar was introduced or became a name for wheels.

21. Whatever you want to believe,,It WAS because of the material the were
    made of....continued to use after Alum because everyone wanted to impress you that they were Magnesium...not really alum...

22. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I've heard of guys burning a few dozen VW engine blocks (made from magnesium) at big parties back in the '70s. Sounds like fun!

23. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100&#37;" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by rustyford40 [​IMG]
    Isn't magnesium flamable. I think it catches fire an is very hard to put out.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Magnesium powder or wire will burn,,, so will aluminum,,, so will steel [wool]

A magnesium ingot, like a wheel WILL NOT catch fire and/or burn. This is a reduculous old myth based on poor assumption and mis-information.

Personally, I'd be MUCH more concerned about the tires on your car, which WILL burn quite easily, and use [an average] of 23 gallons of oil each to manufacture.

Or maybe the plastic fuel tank on your ride with 15 gallons of gasoline in it on your daily ride.

The magnesium wheels on my ride spuntaniously bursting into flame are the least of my worries here in the real world :rolleyes:

Google "magnesium flamability" and learn for yourself.

24. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

I have never seen large chunks of magnesium catch on fire.We machine magnesium in our shop and the only thing i have seen go up in flames is the dust or small chips.PS do not use water to put out.

25. Its not "rims" its "wheel Rins" :D

Mag is short for magnesium, then it just became the slang for about anything pre billet that wasn't a stamped steel wheel.

26. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

A RIM is the outer hoop that holds the tire. When a RIM is connected to a HUB with SPOKES it becomes a wheel. When a RIM has a center in it that attaches it to a car it becomes a WHEEL.

Pet peeve, sorry.

27. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

You can go to the bend in the road and watch a VW fire at B-ville... we should all wear bellbottoms and and have a flashback!!

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

<<Isn't magnesium flamable. I think it catches fire an is very hard to put out.>>

Yeah. Where do you think they got the term "Hot Wheels"? (k-Boom! Tssss...)

29. 63_nova_ss

63_nova_ss

it's a pet peave of mine when people call wheels "rims".

30. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

Alot of newer cars have transmission cases made out of magnesium alloys. Being a Volunteer Fire Fighter I have personally witnessed the ball of fire that ensues if you try to use water to put it out. This is of course after it got hot enough from the engine fire to make it burn.