Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone using a moon tach

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FCCOOL, Apr 24, 2008.

1. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

I just buaght one of those moon tachs off ebay, i didnt want to buy from moon becuase i tried to get something from them years ago and had to send about 15 emails for 3 weeks before i got a reply and the reply was kind of nasty, it was then i picked half the moon sticker off my 1/4 window, they have some real fruit cakes working there.
    Anyway the tach looked ok in the picture, i thought it was like a remake of a old dixco, i didnt want another old tach becuase they dont seem to last on modern ignition systems so i bought this new one.
    Anyway it arrived and i took it out of the box and it looks like a real nasty cheap crappy peice of junk compared to a old tach or any tach but even worse it has some butt ugly big hose clamp to hold it onto the colum and this was wrapped around the cheap chrome plastic tach housing and had left all deep scratches in the housing.
    so before i make a bracket from alloy that screws to the top of the colum and drill hole in the colum, are these worth using, do the last and are they accurate?
    i have crane hi6 ignition.

2. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

I have had mine on my truck for about four yrs now....no problems....283 with a pertronix ignition module

3. Cad La Dave

Cad La Dave
    from CA

Hey I was one of the fruitcakes there.... actually I was in the machine shop. Can you say made in CHINA.... The percentage of US made parts has been steadily dwindling, filp that pos on ebay and get a SW tach....

4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Mine have worked okay, still have one in my '57 Chevy truck 350/HEI, and my Model A, WAS a big block Chrysler with stock points.

5. Fairlane Dave

Fairlane Dave

I have the Taiwan-made 3 gauge set from Moon. The water temp gauge just craped out on my this morning. I only installed it less than 2 months ago! Luckily, I bought mine from "Richard's Stuff" at the Dallas Autorama. He is a really nice guy and he's sending me a replacement today...before I even ship the broken one back to him.

I've been checking out that Moon tach as well. I figured is was also imported because of the low price. It looks like their standard tach and the separate chrome cup (with proper clamps) are the way to go. It costs about double what that "retro" one costs, but maybe it's a better unit.

Good to know. I have a HEI distributor as well and was hoping it would work with that tach port.

6. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

If you buy any of the "new" Moon Gauges they are built by Classic Instruments-

7. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

I have the tach and the 3 gauge I bought from Moon last year. Tach is plastic like said earlier but other than that all is well. 250 straight 6 with a pertronix.

8. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Had to set the switch on mine to 4 cylinder to get it close on a V8. On the other hand I bought a red metal flake wheel from them and it came pretty quick.. I think they are trying to get the shipping in order and quicker.. This was around the first of the year too ..
    Dave

9. Muttley

Muttley

You get what you pay for, find an old Sun or Stewart Warner tach instead.

10. 567trishop

567trishop
    from Australia

yer I had a moon tach in my 57 chev worked ok, but know what you mean. I brought a old sun tach for my 55 chev, it doesn't work, (dam ebay) So now I've just brought a new old style auto meter tach with is all steel and chrome and better mounting brackets.

11. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I have moon gauges from 7 years ago, they were made by Auto Meter, I think they are made in Illinois USA. they still work fine, including Tach. It is recommended to put a 4amp fuse inline to protect from a voltage spike. Now Moon gauges are made by Classic instruments, I don't know where they are made. Chico who owns Moon treated me well when I had a warranty problem.

Ago

12. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

Got mine from moon 2 years ago ,needle broke off inside 2months after i got it,there junk.

13. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I have this style Moon tach purchased direct from Moon in 2004. Works great. Looks great.

I do remember being a little picky about what I received because they kept changing the face on these about that time. Some of them used single digit numbers and others used 10, 20, 30, etc. Some of them also were 8 and some were 10 thousand rpm if I remember right.

Attached Files:

• l172.jpg
      l172.jpg
      File size:
      111.8 KB
      Views:
  14. timmy t

timmy t

Piece of SHIT but its still working.

15. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

16. angryyouth

angryyouth

Don't even get me started on MOON! Damn those guys piss me off. I want to like them and I want to buy some of there stuff, but I have had three instances now where things where, "forgot to ship", "misplaced the invoice" and "forgot to let you know we are extremely backordered". We run a Salt car at Bonneville and we waited forever and a day for our Moon disc, and its not like you can get Moon Disc at your local Napa. I really wish those guys would get their shit together 'cause Dean Moon is turning in his grave right now.
    -A

17. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

That the one i have.I'd dump it and go with an early Sun or Sw.

18. Muttley

Muttley

It's really sad whats become of that company. Flip through an old Moon catalog and check out all the cool parts they used to sell/manufacture. They mostly deal in t-shirts and lame bolt on crap instead of real Hot Rod parts now.

19. Paul Y

Paul Y

I run two Moon tach's. One on my BB with an MSD and the other on a SB with HEI. Both run fine and have for the past 12 years.

Maybe that is the differance, the old stuff is just always better.....

Know what you mean about customer service, unless you are dealing with Chico forget it...

P.

20. it all depends on who actually made the tach , where it was made and when it was made. i believe that Autometer and Classic Instruments both have made tachs for Moon..i'm sure others did too

the tach on ebay i think is made offshore , i have one in my `28 tudor for about 5 years and seams to work fine...but i have had people tell me they had trouble with it

21. Boones installed one in the car I have, and it works fine....

....But someday the Sun will shine in there.

22. BISHOP

BISHOP

Instead of Moon, They should be called "Many Moons" Cause it took me many many moons to get my shifter.

23. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

i had a moon tach in my T for awhile, i found it inaccurate and cheap looking. I got rid of it.

24. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I've had mine since 2000, works great, no problems.

25. OK, fellers, we need to stop calling it Moon and start calling it Mooneyes. Out of respect for Dean Moon and Fred Larsen. Remember it used to be a real speed shop with an excellent race focused machine shop, before it became a fashion outlet for Greaser Kulture.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

26. PurpleReignInBlood

PurpleReignInBlood

bought one in 2001 had the same surprise when I opened the box, cheap plastic chrome and the butt ugly steering column clamp.

I chose to mount it under the dash using the other mount that I think came with it. its been awhile but I think new out of the box it came with both the steering column and under dash mounts?

functionality wise its been running in my str6 230 since day 1 with no problems

27. Rockit53

Rockit53
    from Berwyn, IL
    1. 37-38 Chevys

I was thinking about purchasing the little tach, but after the customer service experience that I have had and friends have had I decided against it. The sender for the trans temp gauge I bought from them that was supposed to be with the gauge has been "in the mail" three times and a year later I'm still waiting for it. sad....

28. I put one in my roadster. Mounted it on the column with one of those polished aluminum cups that cost twice as much as the tach! Doesn't seem to be real accurate. On another note, a friend of mine called "Mooneyes" a couple of yrs. ago to order a 2 1/2 gallon tank for the front of his '32. Figured they would be in stock there as opposed to maybe not in stock at one of their dealers. I mean they've been making them for what 40+yrs? Seems like they would at least have some inventory on hand. Order taker said give us your information, we should be able to MAKE one for you 2-3 weeks!!!

29. 4gotn1

4gotn1

Mine worked for about a year or so and then the needle broke off and is rattling around inside. I have left it in there because I like to look of the big half sweep tach and just haven't gotten around to putting something else in there. Besides, no else sees it while it is running other than me. However, it would be nice to know what RPM I am running down the highway.

30. im not very happy with my purchase of it