Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lokar Shifters What your Opinion?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.coupe, Apr 23, 2008.

1. B.coupe

B.coupe
    from Mile High

Just Purchased a Lokar Shifter and really didn't research this product now that i have it seems to me people have problems with the neutral saftey switch?

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Ive got one in my 53 Chevy, so far so good. I think it has alot to do with installing it right and setting up the neutral safety switch correctly. JM2C or maybe i got lucky ...?

3. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I have had no trouble with the nuetral safety. They come with a small aluminum plug to replace the switch with to adjust it. Easy to do, and if you dont have instructions it is on their website.

4. aquaelvis

aquaelvis
    from N. Idaho

Got one in my '48 and I love it. No problems at all. (and it looks cool as hell)

5. B.coupe

B.coupe
    from Mile High

Von, Thanks for your reply what's your set-up? This is also going in my 51 chevy tubo 350 trans and went with a plate mount vs floor whatta u think?

6. B.coupe

B.coupe
    from Mile High

7. Clark

Clark

Ask Fatabone...they suck! He's had nothing but problems. The part at the bottom of the cable busted...they replaced it. The handle broke...they replaced it, but they sent one that is longer and different threads. Now he needs a new adapter and longer cable.

I like Gennie!!
    Clark

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

mine is also hooked up to a TH350, but mine was a floor mount. I think you will like it /..really. I love mine. I got the one that comes up and has one bend in it. it is almost level with the top of the dash. Looks bitchin' IMHO.
    if you have trouble with the neutral safety switch. try installing it and using a meter on the two electrical wires and set it up with an OHM's meter than you know for sure it is on the money!

9. If you get one of the Gennie e-brakes, be prepared to spend some "quality time" on it with a small die grinder and a triangular file, to get it where the tension of the cables in the fully extended position doesn't knock the pawl out of the ratchet plate teeth, and back into the "no brake on" position... just went through this a week ago.
    It was the vertical handle, old Ford style one.

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

they can be a bitch if they are not adjusted correctly..maybe the ones who have had trouble didn't understand the directions..or got a bad one. I can't say with out looking at it. All I know is it only took me 30 minuets to install it, and its been working like a carm.

11. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

I've had one in my truck 5 years. The neutral switch took a little fiddling but has not failed since. The threaded connector rod to the shift arm kept bending so I couldn't get back to park (AOD Ford) so I made a tube sleeve to strengthen it.

The BIG DEAL is it rattles so loud I can't hear the fuckin' radio!!
    Yeah, they say they'll fix it - all I have to do is remove my entire interior, the mat, dynamat, the floor plate, pull the thing out and pay to ship it back to them - and not have the truck (my daily) to drive for the 3-4 weeks it'll take to get it back.

Sorry, but I'd go with the Gennie.

12. BBobb

BBobb

i just purchased the gennie e-brake and after reading this i may have to stick with my Fred Flintstone custom setup untill i find something better!!!!!!!

13. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I have one of the long neck Lokars. I like it alright, way better than what I had so I'm happy with that. I think I'd try a Gennie next time though just because I like the knob better and I've read a lot of good things about them. Otherwise the Lokar works just fine with no rattle issues or anything on my th350.

I bought it used from a friend, and he had to pull the whole tranny after fooling with it for an hour trying to install it. I didn't have that problem, but make your choice wisely, kimosabe, since it's a job you're not gonna want to do twice most likely

14. dutched32

dutched32

I didn't care for my loker for the problems with the safety switch.

15. B.coupe

B.coupe
    from Mile High

FTF sorry to hear about that i know how you feel. I need more insight Plate vs floor mount, i went with plate because you can adjust to your location better.. Pros...Cons?

Thanks B.coupe

16. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

No problem with mine. I also have the Lokar trans mount E-brake. Both work great.

17. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

had the same thread like 5-6 months ago. I love the lokar but the button rattles and it drives me crazy

18. autoartistry

autoartistry

Lokar shifters are a great product but setting up neutral safety can be a pain.I do NSRA safety inspections and 50% of failed inspections are due to neutral safety not working properly on Lokar's.I recently bought a B&M for my project and no setup required.Just hooked up wires and works perfect.Shifter is setup similar and looks similar to Lokar.
    Mike

19. I have several Lokar's, never had any problems with the neutral safety switch or rattles from the knob. Installation is easy, and the set-up of the neutral safety switch has never been an issue if you follow their instructions. Use a test light or ohm meter to make sure you get it right. If you want some excitement, use a Gennie so when you are doing about 70 mph and you accidentally bump the shift lever into reverse or low, you can practice your driving abilities when trying to save it! Lokar's positive lockout button is a safer way to go, especially with the taller shift levers.

20. loggy

loggy

If you do a search,i'm pretty sure there was a thread a while back on comparative merits of lokar vs gennie:)

21. hot rust

hot rust

you mean you guys have hot rods and are able to hear a shifter rattle......geez

22. chopped

chopped

If you do the setup by the book and still have trouble with the neutral safety. The trick is to shim it out, I needed one piece of thin roof flashing.

23. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

I believe Lokar is spelled R-A-T-T-L-E?
    Mine's plate-mounted to the trans and I do believe a Gennie is in my near future!

24. Fairlane Dave

Fairlane Dave

I have a Lokar floor mount shifter for my AOD. It was a pain in the ass to set up, getting the allthread rod just right so it wold pop positively into every gear. Once I got that figured out, it's been good. I never really pay much attention to it, so that's probably a testament to it's quality. The brushed aluminum mushroom knob that came with it is butt ugly and their replacement knobs arent much better. There is an adapter available now so you can add any knob to it. You just push down on the whole knob instead of the center button.

I'd give it a solid grade of B. I'd probably try a Gennie next just to have something to compare, but I have no plans to get rid of the Lokar that I'm using now.

25. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

i dont have their shifter but i have used alot of their stuff on cars before and i have never had a problem out of anything they make. the shifter linkage kits are a Godsend and made my day a lot easier. my 49' will have their products on it and im just starting that project.

26. VonZipper

VonZipper

You know if you take your time an set it up right they work tits, Super easy to find gears an I like the simplicity of the knob, do you really need a giant skull to be cool? anyway after about 8,000 mikes the knob rattled a bit so I cut a tiny piece off a nylon washer an set it between the cable an the button, hasn't rattled sense.

[​IMG]

27. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Von Zipper said what i wanted to say..set it up right and your golden...rush it and ..well.. you know!

28. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The one in my wife's '37= POS, but it's a street rod so what can I say.
    I've discovered two formulas for auto shifters:

Lokar= street Rod

Gennie= HOT ROD

'nuff said,

Frank

29. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

are the ones that are being called a POS the ones mounted to the trans? because i have had no problems what so ever, but mine was a floor mount. Also i think this isolates it from vibration so the rattle issue is no issue.

30. beatcad

beatcad

the lokar in my chevy has been trouble free for 5 or 6 years.
    neutral safety???? screw that!