Register now to get rid of these ads!

39/40 ragtops suck, M'kay?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat Hack, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Awright...I've never been a "convertible guy"...I think most cars look awfull as ragtops, but fer some silly reason, 39-40 Fords seem exempt to this 'rule'!! :D

Here's a few I snapped while in Florida for Billetproof. One was in the Don Garlits Museum, two are pictured at the No Where? bar the night before, and the green Hacksaw Special was snapped at the big show on Saturday.

No, I didn't take too many car pics that weekend, but I did make sure that these heaps didn't get away unphotographed! There's a picture thread for just about everything ELSE under da sun, so maybe a 39-40 Droptop Picture Thread could be squeezed in???

Attached Files:

2. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

To go WAY back to probably one of the first 39 ragtops ever rodded...this pic shows one owned by Pete Chapporois' dad ala 1940. It was partly what inspired him to build his cool purple "Fat Attack" 39 ragtop back in the 80s...the first fat-fendered Ford that ever really caught my eye!

(The purple one was a flamed, fiberglass bodied creation on a no-nonsense chassis, and what I remember most about it is that the motor looked like it was put there to haul ass...looked like it coulda been plucked outta any serious 80s street machine! Something about that just sorta "does it" for me...like making a street racer outta older cars...just because ya can!!)

The stance on THIS one is curious, though...I'da never thunk you'd see a car sittin' all Dave Starsky with skirts on, but here it is in black & white! I guess "death rod low" was still a LONG ways off yet?! :D:cool:

Attached Files:

3. I thought you said you liked Fox body 'verts...:rolleyes::D

Good 2 see you back!

Jay

4. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Much as I love all flavors of '40 Ford, I think the convertible is the least graceful of the lot, especially with the top up. The '39, on the other hand, is handsome either top up or down. Please note that this is an editorial comment, and not supposed to be construed as fact......

By the way, several of us believe you were gone far too long, and yes, we did notice.

5. 2-TONED

2-TONED

yes i agree 100% !
    hard to beat a 40 deluxe front end but a top up 40 rag is 2nd to a 39.

6. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Well, personally, I kinda like 40s, but I've always liked the 39s better...in ANY body style! For one thing, they have a MUCH nicer dash in my opinion (I think the 40 dash is hideous...though I know I'm in the minority I guess??)...my ultimate fave would be a 39 Deluxe ragtop...but it'll have to wait till six or seven numbers come up just right on a little ticket!!! :D

7. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

I guess I'm partial to the 1939 ragtop, cause there is one in my garage. :D. came in trailer with about 10 boxes. Some assy required.