Register now to get rid of these ads!

airride hotrod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by custo-michel, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

No...Kill the HAMB now. Burn your digital camera...go back to the big flash bulbs.

2. dutchcedar

dutchcedar

The people who built the hot rods that many here are trying to replicate, were hardly following any rules of being traditional. Let's face it, the word "traditional" is wrought with copying something done before, not inventing something new. I respect that many build hot rods in ways that are traditional or that fit into a particular time period. Its great fun finding out, through this forum, how you go about it and why. Its also fun reading the bashing banter aimed at people who don't fit into the mold.

Every forum has their "keep 'em out" threads filled with the same banter.

Personally, I'm glad to have left Holland when I did. Reading about a guy over in that country getting bashed by a bunch of American guys for building a car the "wrong way" is kinda funny. Most Dutch folks travel by bike or tram or if they really got it goin' on, a moped. So no matter what he does, his neighbors are probably gonna think he's one strange hombre when he drives around in his hand-built ride.

I get the bit about bags working better on customs than hot rods, but that aside... there's some pretty damned fine examples of nice rides in this thread with air bags.

Atomic Punk... that's the kinda stuff I really like. Traditional in a way, but creative as all hell and a true expression of the creator... good looking too.

3. BadLuck

BadLuck

Don't Sweat It......"All Caps" Is Traditional. My Grandfather Typed The Same Way...Ahhhh The Good Ol Days...:)

4. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

5. Spedley

Spedley

Perfect...
    Couldn't think of any way to word this differently..... believe me I tried.

6. You guys have ipods, and post on a message board. I know some ultra-trad hotrodders who don't even use cell phones and the internet... so to them we are posers.

So to each their own, and stop acting holier than thou, it's a turnoff.

7. SKELVIS

SKELVIS

YES IM TRADITIONAL, HAHA TO ALL:D
    SCREW IT TRADITIONAL IS A FASHION STATEMENT------ NOTHING IS TRADITIONAL EVERYONE HAS SOMETHING " NON TRADITIONAL IN THEIR RIDE" IF NOT ITS COMPLETELY STOCK.
    GOT FLAKE OR PEARL? FLAKE BACK THEN WAS BUSTED UP GLASS IN THE PAINT, PEARL WAS BUSTED SHELLS-------- IM SURE URS ISNT DONE LIKE THAT------ OH ITS NOT TRADITIONAL;)
    WHO CARES, BUILD OLD RIDES HOW U WANT AND LETS COME TOGETHER AND SHOW EVERYONE.

8. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

I applaud the loyalty of some to the site, keeping it traditional and all.

But,....I think it is a good idea to educate the new guys in a nicer, less de-meaning way than I have seen in the past. I was one of those new guys a year or so ago and got the same type of responses to questions I thought were ok to ask. Honestly, I almost left but my addiction will always keep me coming back here.

How are we suppose to spread the gospel of Traditional hotrodding by bashing newbies for their questions that might not fit the bill?

My.02

9. mandov123

mandov123

<TABLE cellSpacing=5><TBODY><TR><TD>
    tra·di·tion·al<SCRIPT>play_w("T0305900")</SCRIPT><OBJECT style="MARGIN: 3px 3px 5px" codeBase=http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0 height=13 width=10 classid=clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000>

<embed style="margin-bottom:4px" src="http://img.tfd.com/play.swf" FlashVars="soundpath=http://img.tfd.com/hm/mp3/T0305900" menu="false" width="10" height="13" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></OBJECT>
    (tr[​IMG]-d[​IMG]sh[​IMG][​IMG]-n[​IMG]l) </P>adj. Of, relating to, or in accord with tradition: a traditional wedding ceremony.

<HR class=hmshort align=left>tra·di[​IMG]tion·al·ly adv.

hot rod also hot-rod (h[​IMG]t[​IMG]r[​IMG]d[​IMG])
    n. Slang An automobile that has been rebuilt or modified to increase its speed and acceleration.

<HR class=hmshort align=left>hot[​IMG]-rod[​IMG] v.
    hot rodder, hot[​IMG]-rod[​IMG]der n.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><SCRIPT>hm();Sources=Sources | 2;</SCRIPT></P>
    By definition... the word "traditional" and "hot rod" don't go together... hot rods are "un-traditional" meaning;

untraditional - not conforming to or in accord with tradition; "nontraditional designs"; "nontraditional practices"

KUSTOM -
    1. Made to order.
    2. Specializing in the making or selling of made-to-order goods: a custom tailor.

When joining the Alliance I read Ryans words "you are supporting a joint that works hard to spread the gospel of traditional hot rods and kustoms."

sounds to me this man is building a "kustom" we (i) may not agree with how he's doing it, but I sure as hell wouldn't let anyone tell me how to build my ride!

as a matter of fact I believe we have several alliance vendors that sell air ride kits...

I agree, if you don't care for the kids question then move on!

10. Dirk35

Dirk35

New to to computers?

Attached Files:

11. tigmusky

tigmusky

130 posts

airbags=gay

caps+bad

12. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

13. chopd54

chopd54

Heres a friend of mine Kirk Browns truck, I believe this is a tastefull bag job on a open fendered car, cant see the bags at all. Some of you may have seen it featured in Rod and Custom a few months back..

Attached Files:

• kirk.jpg
      kirk.jpg
      File size:
      20.9 KB
      Views:
  14. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

I saw that truck at the nats in Louisville last Aug, got tons of innovative ideas and stuff only another machinist could really appreciate, it's killer, Kirk is a great guy also.

15. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

He is from the Netherlands, chances are English isn't his first language.

16. Clark

Clark

tigmusky...since you're an expert. Lets see the cars you have built.

Put up or shut up!! Just thought if we're going to use catch fraises I should too.
    Clark

17. Clark

Clark

Yes I do have plans to put bags on the front of a car. I have a plan to hide them. The main reason for wanting them on the car I'm planning is the lack of doors and needing to "hop over"

I never lay frame on any car I build. I always leave an inch or two for ground clearance incase something happens.
    Clark

18. Anderson

Anderson

It's not that I can or can't see the bags....it's that the truck/car sits too god damned low, and the only reason it sits that way is because it's airbagged. Ergo, airbags on hot rods=gay. It looks stupid sitting on the ground.

An exception, Clarks cars always look good and sit right...they have bags, but they actually manage to maintain a STANCE.

19. fatbody

fatbody

this is getting to be re-god-damn-diculous! To each's own. I just like to be able to cruise down the road at the height that I want to and raise it up a bit if I have to get out of some nasty driveway. Thats actually the reason I put them on anyway. To raise it up when needed, being able to take it to the ground is just a nice bonus. Not to mention the ride is way smoother now. I could give two shits if its traditional or not. Anyway thats my two cents.

[​IMG]

20. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Fidgiter, you got a cool 64 olds, love the stance, sure looks like it's bagged to me.

21. Saoutlaws_Gotti

Saoutlaws_Gotti

yeah Eric, I beleive i read somewhere that it is........But i understand ur point Big bodied full fendered cars = OK

Rods without fenders = No too Cool

MY OPINION, i like everything as low as it will go, granted if it is low and still drivable WITHOUT bags, hell thats even better (my sedan for instance is not bagged but hella low and still dependable and drivable)

22. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

Bags..even the name sounds rediculous. In my opinion bags are for mini trucks, in fact i would rather have a nice bagged mini truck s10 then some peice of shit bagged "hot rod". oh well just my opinion

23. MetalMike

MetalMike
    BANNED

How many times a year this kinda bullshit argument come up on here? Will everyone just shut the fuck up and let it die!? Do you have to keep posting about stupid shit? Dead horse...Capiche. This is now an 8 page post about absolutely nothing that can't be found in 50 other old dead posts. Leave her be~! FUCK!!!!!

24. evilgenius

evilgenius

IMO... The big appeal of "traditional" is that it's something to revert back to when development of a single trend or style gets too big, ridiculous, and bulky for it's own good. It's a lot like pressing the reset button that takes you right back to basics, so that something new and incredible can be built on top of that. Traditional was the answer to billet; just as Grunge was the answer to Glam rock. Even the best "traditional" cars have some different spin on it that someone back in the 30's, 40's, 50's, or 60's may never have thought of - because when we do traditional, we approach it with decades of hindsight. At best traditional will never be entirely "as it was" - but that's all part of the fun.

It'd get pretty damn boring if it was.

Michel, I can't wait to see what you come up with.

25. SKELVIS

SKELVIS

I Bagged Mine To Drag The Shit Out Of It Going Down The Road...... My Personal Choice.
    Who Cares Build What You Love For You And Ill Build What I Love For Me.
    And I Love Caps Lock, I Write Like That Too......lol Sorry If It Bugs You

26. Nelly

Nelly

Thats hilarious!

27. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Exactly...People build Traditional Styled cars...not Traditional. Cars with the look of the old school with a few modern touches here and there.

28. Anderson

Anderson

It is bagged.....why don't you read the thread from the beginning before you decide to play.

Bags on hot rods are queer beyond a doubt.

They are fine on a custom.

29. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I remember reading this post A WEEK AGO. Somebody pull the plug...... can't we all just get along?????

30. Clark

Clark

So Figiter...you're calling my cars queer?
    Clark