Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old custom....Tell me everything you know about this one.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheelsrus, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

All joking aside, your right, it seems he did take the right course of action if in fact he can prove it is what he says it is,.... when your working with the public sometimes they get a idea in there head of the coolest car in the world,..... soooo you build it for them and sometimes this is the results,.... I don't mean to be to skeptical but I would like to see the documentation that Sam Barris built this car.
    either way the owner is the only one that needs to be in love with it.

2. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

i dont see any crests...................and that is the ugliest damn thing i have ever seen!!! if Sam Barris did build that ....(gulp)...thing then i can understand why he hid it in a barn. everytime i look at it it leaves a funny taste in my mouth.

3. Harms Way

Harms Way

OK,

I am guessing this is the same guy that owns this car,.... here's his post
    1941 Ford 2dr old Sam Barris custom
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257724

And here is what he says about the car,......

"I am looking for info. on this car. The story goes was built in 1954 in northern California. A mexican boy started the build and was channeled 5" and sectioned 5" by Sam Barris and maybe others helped in the build as the car is very radical as it has a 47 Lincoln trunk, Frasier tail lights and maybe kaiser fenders, a 47 Ford hood that has been pancaked 5". It was on the road in Fresno until the early 60s . It was in a winery in Rescue for 20 some years .Then it was on an auction in Placerville, then to several places in central Cal. and then to southern Cal. and then to me in Idaho ."

4. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

This car was for sell on e-bay about a year a go. It has also been at other shows, with a few pics floating around.

5. tomcat46

tomcat46

That didn't answer my hypothetical question. I know I wouldn't pay any money for it, that's why I used this scenario.
    Tom

6. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

Sam finished the car right before he entered rehab.He came out a much better designer after that.

7. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

a friend of mine owned it for awhile bought it out at a pamona show for pretty cheap if i remember right just because it was so different and ugly.. he sold it not long after and i remember someone doing a newer engine and some suspension upgrades to it when it was on ebay.... unless theres another ugly one like it!!

8. derelict

derelict

I'll bet the camera didn't want to work...

9. 'Mo

'Mo

The front as pictured is actually a recent update. The original grille
    and lights were FAR more "interesting"!
    Also of note is that the car was (is?) Studebaker powered...YEAH !!!

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the early 50's a lot of cars got taken to the custom shops for a bit of work and then taken to another shop for the next phase and on down the line. Sam Barris may have done some work on it at one time but I'd bet he didn't do that nose as it stands now.
    But then the customer gets what he requests and pays for.

11. Chopped26

Chopped26

12. GlenC

GlenC

Poor little thing looks like it's been given a knuckle sandwich!

Pow, right in the kisser....

Cheers, Glen.

13. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Well I can say one thing for sure it started its life as 1941-48 ford coupe. Then some one got some sort of vision that probably didin't come out as they have expected. But who ever did it at least they tried to build a custom. Anyway that is my thoughts.

14. 'Mo

'Mo

15. turdytoo

turdytoo

I kinda like it. Someone put a lot of work into it and looks like it was finished at one time.Some of you need to post pics of what you consider your good lucking rides and see how they are received.

16. 62Monterey

62Monterey
    BANNED
    from So.Cal.

That car was one of Sam and George Barris' first builds.It was on E-Bay a while back.I remember it because I tried to contact the Barris shop to confirm it,but they remained tight lipped.But it was eventually confirmed.

17. Harms Way

Harms Way

18. 62Monterey

62Monterey
    BANNED
    from So.Cal.

That looks almost like one of the pics from the E-bay ad.History of this car was it was build from junkyard parts by Sam Barris with help from brother George.Was one of their first builds ever.Someone changed a piece of customizing history by making an hideous grill and even worse headlight buckets.I like the original front end too...

19. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Much better with the Ford frontend if you ditch the parking lights. That grille and Buick headlights ruin it.

20. Harms Way

Harms Way

yep,..... definitely like this front end better,.... not my favorite custom by a long shot, but this front end fits the car a lot better.
    [​IMG]

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

its a face only a mother could love....woah..nelly..

still it could be cool if some one loved it enough to do something cool to it.

22. The original front end kind of has that Nash-Healey look to it.

23. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

I saw the car at the California Hot Rod Reunion a couple of years ago and it still had the original grille. Anyhow............ I thought at the time that it was a 47-8 lincoln coupe. Ugly, perhaps but you have to appreciate the craftmanship as it does on the HAMB what it was designed to do..................be different and collect your attention and thoughts.

24. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

daring to be different sometimes gets unwanted results.

25. Harms Way

Harms Way

I was really critical and skeptical of this car looking at the first pictures with the (unknown to me ) "new and improved" front end work,... it didn't look like it went with the rest of the car,..... but with the original front end treatment,... it actually all comes together a lot better,.... ( so,... this is what crow tastes like !):(:eek::cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. StinkyPete

StinkyPete

I saw this car in person about 4 weeks ago when i was in Idaho. Im pretty heavy into antique tractors and have a good friend out there who deals in them. When i head out west i stay at his place and get parts and stuff. We left on one of our 'crusades' to look for old tracts and cars along the snake river canyon. Well, west of Twin Falls we stop at this house and he drops his truck off and hops in with me. At the end of the day we go back to get his truck and he says that his buddy was home now and i should go look at his big prairie tractor he has. I noticed car parts laying in front of his shop and asked if he was into cars, he just kinda grinned and walked inside the shop. here sat that ugly ass Barris coupe. I should have taken some pics of it, but i do remember that it has a new tubular IFS sytem under it and an engine update to make it more driveable. he siad he is not going to paint it or do anything else to it. it sure is one odd duck:rolleyes:

he had a few other cars there too, ill try to figure out how to put the pics on here (sorry im a FNG:eek:)

the RPU used to be a closed cab truck he had when he was a teenager. this is what he could save from it after his shop fire. the green car used to be some custom built back in the 60's but i didnt remember the exact history on it.

Attached Files:

27. That yellow car looks like it should be in Cat in the Hat II.

28. KATFISH

KATFISH

Basic body is 41-48 Ford Coupe.

Hope Fo-Mo-Co lawyers dont see this ..could be trouble

29. repoguy

repoguy

Some of you guys screaming that this is not a Barris car act like they never built anything that was ugly.

I humbly disagree.

30. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

its fugly but kinda cool in an odd sort of way , he ought to paint it green an call it the bull frog ,