Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I love how the guy is standing by the Mondello altered real calm.....classic.

2. Ize thinkin the same thing

3. 37coupeute

37coupeute

Thanks Rooman,
    You got any of Cowins 'Psyco II' ?
    Rumour is he's building a replica.

t

4. Motor_Psycho

Motor_Psycho

5. These pics should be shown to anybody that ever complains about a track surface again! Wow.

Don

6. Avg.Joe

Avg.Joe

I think he was fully numb at that point and trying to pretend that his eyes weren't burning.

7. His last car, the Mustang II, surfaced a couple of years ago; was on eBay and then showed up at one of the Funny Car Reunion shows as "The Boneshaker". Rumors say the '68 Charger body is in northern Indiana, and the chassis is being (or was) run as an altered somewhere. We really want to find the Charger III body, but we've heard stories that it's in St. Louis or the Ozarks or Oak Grove or Texas or..... All of the other Vander Woude (two words) cars are long gone.

8. tenebr8

tenebr8

I nominate this for best page of the thread-- and that's saying a LOT! I can't even list all the contributors I want to thank-- Royalshifter comes easily to mind, but this is quite the community effort. Thanks to all y'all.

9. i think larry sutton would have been pretty used to all those wild altereds and their tempremental attitudes as well as most of the higher performance dragcars of the time he mentions the topolino dropping the crankshaft in the lions: the greatest dragstrip dvd. would have been just another day at the office for him.

10. Larry Sutton is the man. period.
    he woulda been a great fit in my dad's funny car, but it never worked out. he was there when my dad got run over on the starting line and helped a bunch both during and after. never had a chance to meet him but would love to shake his hand.

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Flying Dutchman is awesome.

12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

13. ks662

ks662

To bad those Dutchman cars are gone I liked the dart best of all.When I was in high school I could see his house from my accounting class window.Always activity around there he was really a nice person.Don't know if anybody lives there now never see anybody there.Sad.

14. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

this shot KICKS ASS

15. Motor_Psycho

Motor_Psycho

all steel '50 merc, tube chassis'd packing a 706cube nitrous motor

16. SMNW?

Al died back in 2001, but Doris (his widow) still lives there on Pflumm. They moved to the KC area in '69 (Grandview, his shop was at Hillcrest and Hickman Mills Drive, a block away from Dick Harrell's shop and down the street from where I grew up) and moved to Shawnee in '71...can you imagine building the C-III, the '72 Mustang, the Mustang II, and all those sprint cars in that garage? :)

17. rooman

rooman

OK,
    once again we go down under with a few more shots from the mid/late 60's at Brooksfield (including some more inliners for Royalshifter) and then to the 1971 Nationals at Castlereagh (just west of Sydney).

Roo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Man, the older race cars had so much character

19. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

rooman.....you are making this thread what it is.

20. rooman

rooman

Thanks,
    I have not seen the images that I am posting for over 20 years and it is a bunch of fun now that I have them back. I scanned about 40 more transparencies tonight from the 71 Nats and I will put some up each night. Once I sort through the rest I should have some from the 68 and 69 nats as well and also some from 1972.

Roo

21. bobhoneybrook

bobhoneybrook

Hi Rooman keep them coming I have been able to name a lot of these, the cars at Brooksfield leave me scratching my head though. Regards Bobh.

22. Steve DeTar

Steve DeTar

Sorry, I don't. I am still having a hard time trying to track down some parts. Steve

23. rooman

rooman

For tonights installment we are still at Castlereagh for the 1971 Nats.

Roo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. matt Delio

matt Delio

meanwhile back in the u.s.of a. anybody got anything on a track in jersey called mcguire stratorods? it was just a local track on the airbase 1967-82 maybe .a good place to spend a sunday .I know a lot of locals raced there at one time or another.

25. MotorCityThreads.com

MotorCityThreads.com
    from DeSoto,IA

anybody have pics of carl casper racing?

26. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Well I'll probable get yelled at since this isn't a drag "car" and it's not in "motion" but it was ridden by a friend of mine, and it was a 4 time NHRA world champion back in it's day.

[​IMG]

27. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

A LITTLE O/T, BUT ITS A DRAG CAR IN MOTION
    [​IMG]

28. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

29. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

30. gasshole

gasshole
    from new jersey

Whats up Matt? My Dad used to take me there when I was a kid.:)