Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wheels, Gennie vs Smoothie vs Solid?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by reichart90, Apr 11, 2008.

1. reichart90

reichart90

what are the differences between these styles? pictures from wheel vintiques, rally america etc show little difference. pictures would be helpful. which one most closely resembles a 40 ford style wheel. i did a search for "gennie smoothie" and nothing came up. this probably has been posted before - sorry for the inconvenience.

2. hemifarris

hemifarris

Gennies have slots in them just like the originals and smoothies don't. go to www.coker.com . That's Coker Tire's site. They have better pictures, or go to
    www.rallyamerica.com . They're both Alliance vendors, and easy to deal with...Mike

3. Skirv

Skirv

These are 16" Gennies from Vintiques. I'm not sure but I think the Gennies have the slots around the edge of the center and the smoothies don't.

[​IMG]

4. movingviolation

movingviolation

rallyamerica did my wheels...............easiest people to deal with and shipping was crazy cheap to canada. Thumbs forsure.

5. Check out Wheelsmith's site. Better pic's,so you can see the difference. the wheelsmith.com

6. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Very ,Very good question! I was wondering the same! Thanks

7. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I got some Gennies from Vintiques and my og 48 merc caps will not go on all the way.

8. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Gennies have the "nubs" on the out side of the center hub for hubcaps like full moon's, 49 Merc caps or most 10" caps, Smoothies take the caps that snap on the inside center of the wheel...............................

9. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

Gennies-take original 40-48 ford sized inside knob hubcaps and have vents
    Solids-take original 40-48 Ford sizes inside knob caps, but don't have vents
    Smoothies take an aftermarket sized hubcap and don't have vents
    OEM Style wheels have outside knobs
    Jimmy

thorkea likes this.
  10. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

My front are Gennie from wheel Vintique they are early Ford style 15X 5.5 I believe
    they were 90.00 for the chrome ones..

[​IMG]

11. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

I'd like some 16 by 4 1/2 1940 Ford wheels with a Chevy bolt pattern, and a pair of 15 by 8 1/2 "Ford" wheels with an Olds pattern.

I've been told that most of the companies that produce hot rod steelies buy the rims and weld them to center sections that are produced by one major manufacturer. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Dave
    (602) 233-8400
    http://www.roadsters.com/

12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Gennies live in bottles, smoothies will sell you a line of crap, and that's the solid truth! :rolleyes:

thorkea likes this.

13. True.

Wheels of Steel in Visalia, California built mine and had no trouble making 5" and 6" wide 15" diameter rims and could have done 4" with no problem.

Since the wheels were originally slated for the dry lakes they had to be welded all the way around.

The shop owner did a nice job and the wheels run very true.
    Better than any other steel wheel I've ever checked and darned near as good as a not-bent mag wheel.

Only thing that bothers some folks is the double bolt pattern - 4 1/2" and 4 3/4" - which works fine for my car with Camaro front discs and 9" Ford rear.
    Not a problem if you're running hubcaps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

"Jane, you ignorant slot."