Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pledge Furniture Polish..?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Plymouth, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Plymouth

Plymouth

I had my car painted last year Black PPG uranthatne .. I sprayed the bumpers with some of the house hold Pledge.. I was Pledging the rear chrome bumper .. and got some on the rear painted shelf and wow it really gave some shine.! Does any one know if this is bad for the paint or something that works ... I did not want to go crazy and do the whole car ... Unless its OK....Thanks for letting me know...

2. olskool53

olskool53
    from CT

I wouldn't go crazy with it on paint but it polishes plastic lenses like a dream! Used it on an old snowmobile windshield ......made it look new with some elbow grease!

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Back in the 60's, I knew a guy that only used Pledge on his car. It was a semi custom 58' Impala painted lavender. Never saw anything that would indicate it hurt the paint. Buddy of mine uses it for his tires instead of Armoral.

4. noboD

noboD

Works on vinyl too.

5. I have used it on fiberglass gel coat and it really makes it shine.

6. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Use it on my motorcycle all the time.
    Good for a quick wax.

7. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

It is just a water based oil finish and car guys were using it as far back as the 60's. I looks good but doesn't last very long. We used to use it on cars for indoor shows under the lights.

8. hemifarris

hemifarris

It will not hurt paint. It is made to polish furniture that's painted with clear lacquer's and clear urethanes.It's shine just doesn't last long.......Mike

9. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

I use it to clean all of my guitars..

10. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Don't know if it will hurt the paint, I wouldn't use it on my car but heres my experience with pledge. Back before the days of armour all I used to use pledge on my vinyl interior, dash seats, etc. anyway I had a convertible at the time with the top down, used the pledge to clean the interior, it was a Saturday afternoon, went in to clean up, came back out and had a swarm of bees on my dash, now Im not talking about a couple hundred bees, Im talking thousands of em, the car sat.

11. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

My uncle had a 48 anglia that was JUS BAD. It was black & he has been using pledge since the 70's. I used it when I tinted the primer on my 65 ss nova to keep the shean glowing.

12. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

pledge keeps the animals from peeing on the tires.

13. If it has Silicone in it,you'll have problems trying to paint over it.

14. Black Primer

Black Primer

I've seen many old truckers do the "dry wash" on their trucks while waiting for a load. Works good for a quick shine.

15. JohnT

JohnT

works great on drum kits too... :D

16. hodaphile

hodaphile
    Alliance Vendor

great for a woodie... I have heard it can be bad since it doesn't fill in the paint like a wax.

17. Tall Tom

Tall Tom
    from Austin MN

I use it on my motorcycle windshield to take the bugs off. The cheaper brands work good too.

18. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I'm not that old but I've done it myself while I was waiting and it works. Any decent furniture polish will work and I never noticed it doing anything bad to the paint

19. ray

ray
    from colorado

will it hurt if i get it in my pee hole?

20. I used to have the same problems when using it on my interior in the 70's. Those fricken bees would not go away! The other plus side of Pledge is that the seats get so slick you could turn a corner and get a girl to land right in your lap!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

21. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Been using it on tires for 40 years........:)

22. 500LBGorilla

500LBGorilla
    from Austin Tx

My Dad used to pledge the seats in his '72 coupe DeVille, and when he stopped short me and my 2 brothers would slide right off the seat onto the floor...

23. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Now that's what Im talkin bout! :cool:

24. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

A buddy of mine always used it at the car shows. His ride would shine like a diamond in a goat's ass. My dad's saying for anything shiny!

25. Terry O

Terry O

We used to use it to take the scratches off eisenglass (plastic boat windows). The old lemon formula would fog the windows bad but the regular stuff did a great job.

Terry

26. Straight from the Pledge website for "alternative uses"-

"Automobile
    Pledge® can be used for a quick cleaning and shining of your car’s exterior. You can also spray a cloth or rag with Pledge® to clean the dirt and grime from the outside wall of your car tires."

27. 56 Texas

56 Texas
    from Texas

another use .. many of the Funny Car teams use it to coat the inside of the body around the rear tires, makes knocking off the rubber build up from burnouts a breeze with a little compressed air ..

28. The pledge thing really works.Back in the day we were very influencial to the local hot rod guys. We told this dude to wax his ride down real good and it would lower his ET.He asked how much of the car?? We said the whole thing. We go back to this cats garage and he's under the car waxing away. Crawls out looks us staight in the eye and " says the jobs all done,I even did the bottom" Then he tells us he couldn't find any car wax so I used Pledge. I swear to God he did man>>>>.

29. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Jess, bat weel eet work on mai "CORINTHIAN LEATHER"?

You can use it for a quick clean up and shine on your shoes/boots too.

30. hodaphile

hodaphile
    Alliance Vendor

For that use you may prefer a paste wax to reduce the changes of accidental overspray.