Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 Buick or 56 Pontiac??? Need help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buddy67Lincoln, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Buddy67Lincoln

Buddy67Lincoln

I have accidentally got myself into the market for an old 1956 something or another and its either a 56 Buick Special Riviera 2 door hardtop with a 3 speed on the column or a 56 Pontiac StarChief Catalina 2 door hard top. I need to decide since the Buick may end up being a parts car if I dont buy it...but its 9 hours away and I cannot see it. The Pontiac is right down the street and is a solid CA car with absolutely no major rust at all, not rot, runs, needs lines, windshield, and brake system overhauled to get it cruising. The Buick needs floors, a little body mount fixin, fuel tank, lines, brake system, windshield, some body work, runs as well. Not sure about electrical on both of them, but probably needs some work. The Buick is $2900 and I would spend 500 to get it here so $3500 total, the Pontiac is solid and is 5,000 but it right down the street from me. HELP ME!!! I would have to sell my truck to get the Pontiac, but can afford the Buick without selling it right away, but it needs more work and I have no clue what condition it is like since I cannot see it. All I have is pics. Let me know what you think I should do or what you would do. If I had the $ I would take both! Thanks guys. Here are some photos to help. I would more than likely have to sell the one I choose later to help fund my '67 Lincoln hot rod project so thats a factor too...resale.:D

The first 4 photos are the Buick and the last 5 or so are the Pontiac following the photo of the Pontiac to the end.

Attached Files:

2. Play400

Play400

Boy that CA air is hard on cars. Both are gold underneath.

Had a 56 Buick when I was a kid and have a 55 Pontiac now. I'd go with the Buick for a cruiser. Way cooler.

3. PsychoBandito

PsychoBandito
    from Montreal

i've got a 56 special. Beautiful lines from the factory, and one of the coolest grills/bumpers in my opinion. the Nailhead is a nice engine to. Just be wary of aftermarket. see: none.

4. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Ya, go with the Buick...

5. Tony

Tony

Car for car, the Buick is probably a cooler cruiser and i dig nailheads..but i'd buy the Pontiac if they were in front of me..
    I just really like the mid 50's Pontiacs, especailly 55 and 56's, and i see more Buick's than Poncho's....at least around here anyway...
    Resale, well, i'm thinking the Buick might sell quicker just because it seem's as though more people dig Buicks over Pontiacs.....BUT, a solid car that hasn't had any floor work, or heavy metal work is alway's a factor for me when looking at a car....

6. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

If you can get the Buick and keep your truck, I'd do that--you can build the Buick on the payment plan, and keep cruising your truck.
    The '56 Special will have a 322 nailhead in it. Correct, that speed parts aren't a 1-800-SEND ONE deal, but ebay and swap meets will find what you need.
    The manual trans in it is also a gem by itself. They're rare, and desirable. (It should be the beefier 6-bolt cover trans, not the 5-bolt used in '54/'55 behind the 264).

There are lots of suppliers out there, you just have to hunt.
    Now, all that being said, I'd be worried about what's under that quicky black paint job.
    -Brad

7. PsychoBandito

PsychoBandito
    from Montreal

i just looked at the photo of the interior, and if you notice in the top left corner, there is some serious cancer going on. After what Brad said about the quicky paint, i'd be kinda worried to. There's also what looks to be an unwelded piece of steel as a floor.

now that i see those, even being a buick nut, save yourself the hassle and get the Pontiac. i can see 1/2 the car melting away the first time you go to strip the paint off the Buick.

8. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Buick Buick Buick Buick Buick Buick Buick Did I Say Buick I Think So

Buick
    Buick

Buick

Buick

9. Old Gold

Old Gold

10. You take the Buick and I'll take the 56...

11. 2-TONED

2-TONED

get the PONCHO!
    it looks like a nice untouched, unmolested car. maybe you can get it for 4000-4400-4500 - right up the street so maybe they will take some payments on the balance?!

12. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Check out prices on 56 Buick Windshields first...

13. PsychoBandito

PsychoBandito
    from Montreal

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Auto-fleet parts and Machine2551 Halls Mill RoadMobile, AL.
    Joel at 251-478-8441
    for Nailhead or any other motor rebuild

Bendtsen’s Transmission Center Inc. (Trans Adapters)
    13603 Johnson St NEHam Lake, MN. 55304
    Phone: 763-767-4480
    Email:
    [email protected]
    www.transmissionadapters.com

Bob’s Automobilia
    3352 South El Pomar;
    Templeton, CA93465 (street)
    Box 2119; Atascadero, CA93423
    (mailing)
    Phone: 805-434-2963
    Fax: 805-434-2626
    http://www.bobsautomobilia.com/

Carmen Faso
    J&C's Parts
    7127 Ward RoadNorth Tonawanda, NY14120
    Phone: 716-693-4090
    Yeah he's not on the net, he doesn't take plastic, but he is definitely the man...

CARS, Inc.
    205 Pearl Street
    P.O. Box 5
    Neshanic Station, NJ08853
    Phone: 908-369-3666
    Fax: 908-369-7595
    http://www.buick-parts.com/

Egge Machine Company, Inc.
    Slauson Ave.Santa Fe Springs, CAUSA 90670
    Phone: 562-945-3419
    Fax: 562-693-1635
    [email protected]

[email protected] will get you on the list...

O'Brien Truckers
    29 A. Young Road
    Charlton, MA 01507
    Phone: 508-248-1555
    http://community.webshots.com/user/obtruckers

Poston Enterprises200 Ewing LaneAtmore, AL36502
    Phone: 800-635-9781
    http://www.postonbuick.com/

Russell Martin
    http://nailheadbuick.com/
    He would be the man to go to on the West Coast for building an engine...
    He can also be found on the Yahoo Nailhead Group for advice and help...

TA Performance Products, Inc.
    16167 N. 81st Street, Scottsdale, AZ85260
    Phone: 480-922-6807
    Fax: 480-922-6811
    http://www.taperformance.com/
    Email:
    [email protected]

The Buick FarmPO Box 384Clayton, DE19938
    Email: [email protected]
    http://www.buickfarm.com

Tom Telesco for mini-starters and roller rockers....
    C/O Classic & Muscle Automotive
    465 Glenbrook Rd.
    Stamford, Ct. 06906-1820
    Phone: (203) 324-6045
    [email protected] or [email protected]

Wheatbelt Antique Auto
    Rt. 2, Box 178
    Carrier, OK 73727
    Phone: 580-855-2449
    Fax : 580-855-2476
    http://www.wheatbeltbuick.com

Yeah none at all.... :rolleyes:

I like the Buick with the 3 on the tree...

15. PsychoBandito

PsychoBandito
    from Montreal

i'm not saying Nailhead, i'm saying the car in itself, such as purpose built suspension components and crossmembers, that sorta stuff.

and almost all of those websites are mainly 401 and 425 Nailhead.

16. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

PONTIAC......was there any doubt Id say that? You never see the Buicks around here, I like to be different, but I just like the lines, the trim, and the Interior n the Pontiacs better than the other GM cars.

Ed Evans
    56 Pontiac 860 2 Door Wagon

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I would like a list of suppliers for these components for the 1956 Pontiac... :eek: Google has failed me in finding these things for the Pontiac. :rolleyes:

I guess 3 out of 12 is most. Your math sucks. :eek:

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I've been seeing a whole lot of those paint jobs lately. A lot of them done to cars with decent stock paint. All in the quest to be cool with their flat black ride. Dumbest shit ever.....

19. Buddy67Lincoln

Buddy67Lincoln

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the replies and advice. I saw that cancer on the top door frame too on the Buick but he just said I should buy it and it needs almost nothing but a tank, lines, and bleed job on brakes..WHAT?! The floors are gone but the braces are good and the frame as well. Check out the bent outer frame rail and the cocked brace that pokes through the floor a little (in the photo with the text in it). I asked about that and he said looks like it got snagged on something. The Pontiac is rediculously solid and really dried out like knobs and such, but not sure about the electrical yet. I will post some more info if I get it but for now I have to decide if I want to make a trip to Illinois for $500 and possibly not come home with a car or just go with the Pontiac! Keep the replies and advice comin! THANKS!

20. Buddy67Lincoln

Buddy67Lincoln

If you wanted a second 56 wagon, there is one for sale at the GoldenRodGarage.com Noticed it in Hemmings the other month. Both are neat cars but that Pontiac really caught my eye when I found it...just different and awkwardly beautiful with the eye lashes above the headlights and the wide chrome strips all over the place.

21. Buddy67Lincoln

Buddy67Lincoln

I told him I would have to sell the truck first and he said to give him my 3500 now and then the rest when I sell the truck! Nice offer if you ask me...just need to let go of my first truck to do it and decide that I do not want that Pontiac....not that easy! Thanks a lot.

22. PsychoBandito

PsychoBandito
    from Montreal

do it, that Buick needs a ton of work. You can examine every last bit of that pontiac since it's right up your street, whereas you never know what's hiding behind that black paint. But seeing that cancer in the top corner and floors, i have an idea of what's there.

23. Buddy67Lincoln

Buddy67Lincoln

Same here. I am leaning towards the Pontiac more and more. I have been searching for parts like weather stripping, suspension parts, steering..seems to be enough out there. A lot of the car is just like a 55-56 Bel Air. I literally almost crapped a brick when he opened the doors and trunk...not a single piece of scrap anywhere. Extra set of rear bumpers, and the hub caps too. Neat car all around. I think I might have to keep it as is for a while only getting it tuned and street legal, but leaving the paint, and the interior untouched with the exception of that front seat. Paint and protect the bottom and floors and the rest is patina! I should not hesitate since the car is sitting outside with no cover on it and bad rubber. Take care and thanks again

24. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Thanks John!

Mine is from CA, its pretty solid. Only been in Indiana for 9 years. Ive got a life times worth of Pontiacs sitting in line for Resto. My 56 is driver quality, well worn, but not worn out. there are pics of it in the long roof, lets see your wagon, and a thread asking for pics of 56 Pontiac interiors. Ive also got a 65 lemans, 70 formula 400, 72 45Ho/4 speed TA, 71 lemans wagon, and A 92 TA in my list of projects. I need another car like I need another wife....LOL

If you end up with the 56, Ive got some odds & ends if youneed em.

Ed Evans

25. Buddy67Lincoln

Buddy67Lincoln

Thanks Ed! I hear you...the more the merrier. Thanks for the offer on odd and ends for the 56. Off the bat, do you have anything like radio and control knobs? The ones on this car are toast and something is missing from the upper middle dash...have to figure that one out yet. The whole interior is gone in this car, but neat to see it all shriveled up and faded! Take care.

26. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

just painted my dash last summer, you have more interior than I started with. Mine had gray shag carpet through out, and Honda buckets. Ive found the right bench, and am working on door panels now.

I sold my radio on ebay last year, went with a stock radio delete plate. They pop up on ebay now & then.....CD player will end up inder the seat or in the glove compartment. I used Cross valve stem caps from Moon on my heater control knobs. you wont find anythat are decent, north, south, east, or west. From what Ive been told, that plastic is just brittle!

Youll really like the Poncho!

Ed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Buddy67Lincoln

Buddy67Lincoln

Ed, that is a sweet ride and some neat ideas about the knobs. It will be a mild custom so thats not a bad thought. This car was that salmon color inside and the outside is a off white color, but no signs of it being 2 tone. The more I think about it, the more I want it. How many chances do you have to get a car thats rust free and runs for 5,000 and everything is there? I hope to knock the price down 500 if I can. Gotta get that 84 GMC on the for sale classifieds. Thanks for the photos and help. Good luck with that wagon...thats a neat car!

28. Buddy67Lincoln

Buddy67Lincoln

Well after round 2 of checkin it over, my old man found some rot above the passenger drip rail. Not huge, but its there. Some rot in the rear quarter after the rocker, the lip of the hood, and some major curb height damage to the rear quarter and rocker on passenger side. Lots of work needs to be done to straighten it up and hopefully there is no rot underneath. I will post photos tonight. Let me know what you think about the 5,000 price now! I would ask him to put it on his lift in his shop before I buy, but the floors are still gold in this car. Thanks guys

29. Buddy67Lincoln

Buddy67Lincoln

Here are some photos of the 2nd visit to see the old Poncho. Found some rust here and there and took a closer look at the curb rash on the side quarter and door. Leave some feedback!

Attached Files: