Register now to get rid of these ads!

Diesel vs 283 in Model A PU for MPG???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe Tx, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Joe Tx

Joe Tx

I'm building a '30 PU and I'm using an AA frame I want to run full fenders, a full bed,'35 wire wheels with 16'' tires. I don't like the way the Model a bed just hangs out in back without frame support with a stock A frame. With the long AA frame I will have the bed supported and be able to put a trailer hitch to pull a small trailer. I plan to use this as my parts chaser. I have several S-10 rear ends to use. ('87 4 wheel drive, auto trans, and rear. Also have a complete '84 s-10 blazer with a 2.8 and auto and the rearend.

I have a '79 MB 240 4 cly diesel with a 4 sp. Used to do about 30 MPG in the heavy 4 door car. I think it would do better in the Model A PU.

I have a '57 283 chevy and can get a 700r or 200 r to go with it. Only thing I don't like about this engine is the lack of side motor mounts.

I'm really leaning towards the MB diesel. Any suggestions would be helpful. At this point I can go anyway with this project.

Body still needs to go forward about 5 inches but need to lower engine or cut firewall.

[​IMG]

MB diesel "mocked in".

[​IMG]

Little bit of photoshop paint

[​IMG]

2. Tore

Tore

Do you build a hotrod to save gas ?

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

It will sound like crap and the benefits of diesel (unless you make your own) isn't what it once was with the current premium for diesel. (even around here it's over $4.00)

5. Me I'm a diesel freak so I would go that route. milage would be great and it would turn more heads than a gas motor. in that motor you can run 100% biodiesel without any worries. even with the extra cost of the diesel it would still be cheaper to run with the extra mpg it will get. the small block at best with od would be maybe 24 mpg but the diesel I am guessing would be around 40+ in that light truck.

6. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

[ass-hole]
    Oh nooooo, you dont want a diesel in that thing. You dont want to get 40 mpg, you dont want to be different or unique. You dont want a cool vehicle you can run on waste veggie oil, or make your own bio-diesel for .70 cents a gallon.

Go ahead and put a 350/350 chevy in it. Slap on a set of Foose wheels and lots of billet. Paint it bright yellow and hang some fuzzy dice from the rear view mirror...................................:rolleyes:

Yeaaaaaah, were about traditional hot rods around here.
    [/ass-hole]

What the fuck are you thinking even asking that question?
    YES you want to put a diesel in it.

You have already got the diesel engin/trans, that's 1/2 the battle right there.

7. f#ck the diesel,hot rods have v8s (and 4 spds) plus diesel in my area cost alot more than gas so what are you saving??

8. gerrald meacham

gerrald meacham

parked with the hood shut they all look the same , go for it , seems this is what its coming to .

9. onedge

onedge

WTF! V8 overcome your fear of the front mount on the 283, donate the MB to your local votech school!

10. I personally think the MB sounds like a cool idea, since it is a parts chaser/hauler. "Diesel hauler" has a nice ring to it. Maybe a MB logo in one corner of teh grille (NOT as a grille topper, please).

If all hot rods have V8's and 4-speeds, we need to kick out all the Jimmy-6's, Model A bangers, and ANYONE using an automatic (PG or otherwise)!

Dude, a hot rod is supposed to be different! If they all had V8's and 3 pedals, at some point, duplication of execution would become boring. Every show has someone that has dared to be a renegade (true to the TRADITIONAL hot rod stigma) and that car (truck) is the one that gets the most attention.

Built what you want and tell everyone else to take their ball and go home! You've got your own ball!

11. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

If you use a 283 without side mounts you will have to use a powerglide which has engine mounts on the bellhousing area or a stickshift with bellhousing mounts. If you were to use an aluminium cas automatic you will find that the bellhousing area will crack and eventually break because of the stress placed on it in that are.

12. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

make sure you put 21" dubs on it too

13. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

personally I'd use the 283, 60-62 truck bellhousing, hydraulic clutch and 5 speed. $4+ diesel sucks, and you can't brew biodiesel on the road.

14. PsychoBandito

PsychoBandito
    from Montreal

I don't get why everyone is using the price of diesel as a negative. Even if it's more expensive, he's still going to go farther per $ than gasoline. I vote strap a turbo to that MB and you'll have yourself the way a real stump puller. REAL trucks don't have spark plugs.

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am always for using what you have. If it doesn't work out, you can always change it out later. I think it's a neat idea. You will never please everyone. You only have to please yourself.

16. There was/is a guy up here who dropped '39 Dodge PU bodywork onto a modern 1T Ram frame and ran a hopped up Cummins to boot! Wanna really blow people away? Run some Propane injection on the MB!

Just please, fer the love of god, don't put 5" diameter chrome exhaust stacks up through the bed...

17. repoguy

repoguy

If you don't go all crazy with a big, gross cam & pop-up pistons and whatever, and keep the 283 mild & close to stock, you'll be amazed at the gas mileage you'll get.

I used to have a 65 Impala as a daily (weighed in around 3600 pounds), and it ran a stock 190hp 283 2 bbl with a 2 spd powerglide, and I was getting like 20mpg. That's with a crappy 2 bbl, stock point ignition, and single exhaust.

Dressed up with a small 4 bbl (like 460 cfm to 500 cfm), an electronic dizzy, and some headers, and pushing a light rig like that, you might really be surprised at what it would pull. Not to mention the fact that you're talking about shaving half the weight off of what I was running AND adding a few gears. Do the math.

As much as I dig diesels & think that they definitely have their place, they're nothing pretty to look at.

In a truck or car with the hood shut, sure. In a fenderless, open-motor car? Never.

It's your car, run what you prefer, but personally I'm one of those guys who thinks traditional hotrods should run traditional engines. I'd find a little vintage import wagon or something that was a little more "utility" and throw the diesel into it.

18. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

The 283. I'm runnin a 327 in a 58 Apache, with a mild cam, headers, power pack heads with 1.82 intake valves installed, but with a 500 cfm edelbrock. I averaged roughly 21 mpg on the highway comming back from Roundup, and she will still light up the tires.

19. 73RR

73RR

Another vote for the 'Benz...do you really want another belly button car (truck) or something that another car guy can appreciate for being different? Wasn't all that long ago that guys installing/using an early Hemi were considered weird...

20. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

go diesel, seems like every one uses 350/350 combo's and the mbz would be different. besides you could go with 4 diff. fuels waste veg oil, diesel and bio-diesel, or used atf. just my .02

21. Bear Trap

Bear Trap

Have you considered a VW diesel engine at all? In 3000lb cars they're getting 40-50 mpg. The 1.9's are turbo as well, and sound pretty mean with a 3" exhaust on em.

22. kustomrace

kustomrace

The team I work for is running a vw tdi jetta in speed world-challange.The car gets 20+mpg in race conditions!They run that tdi platform in most series in europe.Me?I'm a sucker for the 283. Dave

23. Bear Trap

Bear Trap

thats friggin awesome! im a sucker for watercooled vw's and until I get that out of my system I wont be getting the early 50's PU I've always wanted.

24. What the fuck is that SMELL!!!!!!!!! You give me a traditional HOT-ROD burning someV-P or Sunoco laced fuel and I'll show you shit that will raise an eyebrow. Pull your shit burning diesel powered smoke having shit into a meet and they'll being throwing crap at you and the chicks don't dig the odor!! I swear a little 104 behind the ears on saturday night and you'll score for sure>>>>.

25. PsychoBandito

PsychoBandito
    from Montreal

I agree with the 1.9TDI i have a jetta with one.
    Chipped and bigger injectors it's pushin 170 horses and close to 300 ft/lbs, and if you keep you foot out of it, i still get 1300 km on a tank cruising at 110 km/h.

26. devilsmycopilot

devilsmycopilot
    from Tucson

I like the idea of something different (I love gassers, but I also drive a Cummins 24 valve truck) If it was just for mileage, the diesel would win esp. if you do a lot of highway driving. I know those Mercades diesels get good mileage, put they have little balls unless its a turbo diesel. The 283 ain't no fire-breather, but you would probably have more fun with that setup. Also, with an overdrive you'll get good mileage with that light a vehicle.

Going back to the idea of something different... fuck what the people at car shows think, they ain't building it, driving it, using it and living with it. Just to ram something different up some people's asses makes it a good idea in my book.

The fact that you already have the engine makes it sweeter.

27. 8flat

8flat

Diesels are great....in trucks, trains, and tractors.

Great power and economy, but they stink, and they sound like a box of rocks. Very out-of-place in a hotrod.

Right now, diesel is about 75cents more per gallon....that trend will get worse. Consumer cars and pickups with diesel engines have created this problem, (simple supply and demand) and now it's driving shipping costs and everything else associated with it through the roof.

Sorry, rant over.

28. Yep let me put a little refined McDonalds fry oil in their and the people will get the smell of french fries on their mind and wander over and wonder where Mickey D's is!!:D

29. I won't go into it but this is not the cause for the outrageous prices.

30. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

do the diesel. put a decent size fuel tank and youd be surprised at the things that will burn if you run about half a tank of diesel. you should get great mileage which is great if you plan on driving it anywhere.