Register now to get rid of these ads!

The elusive 224/3.7 MerCruiser banger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tjm73, Apr 9, 2008.

1. tjm73

tjm73

MerCruiser 224 cid/3.7L I4
    Bore: 4.36
    Stroke: 3.75
    Aluminum block
    Big block Ford head
    SB Chevy transmission compatible bellhousing pattern
    170-190hp stock

I have searched high and low and found some information (most of it here on the HAMB), but finding pictures, that don't suck, of these engines is almost as hard as finding the doo-doo bird.

If you have pictures (especially if in a car), or know where to find them, please post them here.

2. 35ratbstr

35ratbstr
    from Colorado

I have a Pontiac super duty produced by KRP in Kansas. It has a Brodix 10X aluminum Ford head , shaft mount rockers, dry sump, chevy bolt pattern. It has a single 4 brl intake now and the plan was to install a set of weber side draft or a injection unit and run it in a 27 t. i'll have too get a picture and post it. thw KRP block could be orderd to fit a Ford, Dodge, Pontiac , or chevy v8 head. they ran them in midgets and ARCA truck series.

junk yard kid likes this.
  3. Phil1934

Phil1934

in Model Y frame with Chevy 6 engine mount and V8 frame mount and hose number to get to rear mounted intake inlet

Attached Files:

crashfarmer likes this.
  4. One of my buds has 2 of these engines stored under a work bench. They're partially disassembled.

I have to go see him today, I'll try to remember to take a few pics for ya. These are BIG inch 4 cylinders.

5. There is a 27 roadster with 29 fenders here in town with a hot lil Mercruiser in it. Very cool car.

6. banjorear

banjorear

Do you have any boat yards/dealers around you? If so, you'll likely find one or two collecting dust/rust in the back lot.

7. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

PM me Phil1934.
    I live in Hampton,and I know we have 'prolly crossed paths,as I know a bunch of folks in Jointsboro.

Lemme' know where you are,if you don't mind me knowing.

8. Here's a pic of the two engines I mentioned yesterday.

Don't pay the blue cylinder head any attention.

Attached Files:

9. tjm73

tjm73

Thanks for the followup.

10. tjm73

tjm73

I wish your pics were bigger and there were more of them. :D

That blower setup looks bad-ass!!

11. tjm73

tjm73

I found this.....

Attached Files:

12. tjm73

tjm73

It appears that the coolant flows from the water pump to the intake to the head, or vice versa from the head to the intake to the water pump. I also see what appears to be a mechanical fuel pump on the intake side of the block.

13. uglydog56

uglydog56

There are lots of marine salvage yards that sell these engines. i believe they are called 170 mercruisers when you are searching. You still have to drill one hole on the bellhousing. If you push them hard you will need to short fill the block. There's a guy down in florida with one of these in a dragster that's has them pretty scienced out. google red's headers. he does lots of turbo 4 cyl ford stuff.

14. uglydog56

uglydog56

sorry, it's a 470 mercruiser. not a 170. it has 170hp stock.

j-jock and hfh like this.
  15. narducci

narducci

It is a half of a 460 ford engine.

16. Phil1934

Phil1934

4 bbl version is 488, 188 HP. Also 485, 2bbl with hotter cam and 170 MR and 190 MR (redesigned gear housing). Cam lift is .481/.503 for 470, .497/.517 for 488 and .497/.536 for 485 with 1.73 rockers. I put BBC roller rockers on mine as cheaper. As to coolant flow, it is from the radiator to the rear of the intake (488 has oil cooler in intake bottom also), then to the water pump and out the front of the head to the radiator in a street application. You can use a 488 thermostat housing with a Cosworth Vega thermostat housing to make an 1-1/4" inline holder since you eliminate the water cooled exhaust. You will also see the alternator is in the dampener stock.

j-jock likes this.
  17. tjm73

tjm73

Wow. You're right on top of things aren't you? :rolleyes:

18. tjm73

tjm73

Phil1034, what is the rpm range with the OEM camshaft?

19. Phil1934

Phil1934

I had Reed regrind mine, but I have some notes the 470 was 269/274 (216/220 @.050") on 114* centers so seems like a mild hot rod cam.

20. narducci

narducci

Now I know why I moved away from the Northeast. People spend all winter indoors smelling their own farts. I makes them irritable.

21. tjm73

tjm73

Found one more....

Attached Files:

Gasoline likes this.
  22. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

23. Phil1934

Phil1934

But they wanted Mercruiser to add a Ford logo at Mercruiser's expense so the deal fell apart.

24. BigChief

BigChief

Don't be a stranger, neighbor. We've got at least one or two at the shop and we've built many of them over the years. Tom Lennon is very familar with their strengths and weaknesses. You wanna build a thumper for a car? Stop by the shop, ask for Tom and tell him Mike said he might know a thing or two about 3.7 Mecruisers. Corner of 20A and CR37 directly across from Raymond's Valley Inn.

-Bigchief.

25. BigChief

BigChief

They've had many designations over the years. 170, 270, 470, 3.7, etc. Most dealers hate them as they had too much compression as delivered and the only 'authorized' fix was to pull back the timing which made them horrible to start and run like dogs. The trick is to drop the compression and put the timing back where it needs to be. This actually really wakes them up. We've got a few other tricks up our sleeves on these motors as well.

One drawback is that the water pump is driven off the camshaft. Once the seal surface corrodes/wears away you dump water into the crank case. Another big drawback is the charging system which is integrated into the front cover and is crank driven....and if that were not bad enough it uses a water cooled voltage regulator that dies like a canary on gas if it gets overheated at all. You pull back the timing and tow the kids on the tube while lugging the motor around on cheap gas and the motor tends to get hot. The hot motor kills the complicated and marginal charging system if it doesn't squeak the head gasket in the process.

That being said, they are THUMPERS when set up right. There are speedysleeve repair kits for the cam seal surface and we also have a place that'll sprayweld and regrind the end to size as well. The charging system can be retrofitted with an alternator too.

Cool motors if you've got the coin to do one up.

If you look in the older Ford Motorsports catalogs you'll also notice that Ford offered cams and other parts for these motors for a very short period of time as they were used for some racing class (sprints?) for a while.

-Bigchief.

j-jock likes this.
  26. BigChief

BigChief

I'd have to go look in the service bulletins, I'm pretty sure Mercury likes to see most of the 3.7's run 4200-4600RPM range at WOT. Keep in mind that a motor at WOT in a boat is basically under a full time dyno pull.....it'll take more RPM than that in the time periods typically seen on the street.....unless your gonna run top end for miles. The cam will run out of steam before you get to 5000RPM.....valve springs and valvetrain limitations.

-Bigchief.

27. tjm73

tjm73

Yes I would love to build a 3.7 torque factory for a lightweight T and back it with a full manual, reverse pattern, 700R4. it would be cool. Don't know if I will ever be able to do it though.

28. I used to work on boats, and these motors were nothing but trouble, waterpump, charging system, heads and headgaskets, it never ends.

29. stewmax

stewmax

There are after market parts for this engine. you just got to know where to go.I seen one in a chevy monza with a power glide for a tranny .it was
    fast mid 11s ,but this was back in the 80s. now with new tech stuff I
    am sure there a lot to do for this engine. I will try to get some pics up.
    :) Thanx stew

30. I'm going for it. Bought a merc 470 [parts in a box] a month ago and now am completing the missing parts. Will drop the compression, but don't know how far to go.
    [ edited to remove error I made on CR]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
    dirtcop1947 likes this.