Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jeep T5 trans in the torquetube

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stovebolt, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

There were some pics of the Jeep T5 trans mounted in a ford torque tube.

anyone know where they are - I've looked and looked.

anyone done the conversion, or know of it?

2. striper

striper

I have a vague recollection of this. I think Bruce Lancaster might know a bit about it.

Pete

3. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here are the pics. I built the thing.

Attached Files:

4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Thread title:
    April Fools '08 Banger Meeting

5. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Thanks for the pictures, and BTW I emailed you.

And thanks Mark - I'll see you Saturday

6. Crazydaddyo,

Did you use the Jeep internals, or swap out for a different gearset (translate as "would LOVE to see more pics/tech on this:D)?

7. what were these in xj's(cerokees) or an other model like a jeepy jeep or wagoneer?

8. montclaire

montclaire

I was cosidering the T-4/5s, but they seem to be regarded as 'barely good enough' for the engines they were mated to, and prone to problems. I will be using a T-18 instead. It may be a little on the overkill side, but a stock I6 will never hurt it, and they are very plentiful in the yards.
    [​IMG]

9. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Jeep T5 came in CJ & XJ from about '82-86 & SJ in '83 with both the 4-cyl & 6-cyl (both inline & V6). They have a crummy ratio of:

1st - 4.03 2nd - 2.37 3rd - 1.50 4th - 1.00 5th - 0.86

They are NWC, so any other NWC gearset will swap in.

What are you going to use it for?

10. montclaire

montclaire

I need a 2wd four speed to bolt behind an AMC 258 with minimal mods. I have been told I can use a ford sourced T-18 as long as I use a special pilot bushing. The only caveat mentioned with the T-18 has been weight (145lbs) and that it will shift like a bread truck. Is this a bad thing? It's going in a '31, and I don't think it would feel right to have a 31 anything shift smoothly.

Here's what Novak had to say about the T-4/5:

Desmodromic likes this.
  11. "The only caveat mentioned with the T-18 has been weight (145lbs) and that it will shift like a bread truck. Is this a bad thing?"

Depends... is it a '31 bread truck:D?

12. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

The T-18 great for a 4-wheel drive with a super Low 1st and a N/S first gear. So really first gear is useless on the street. My choice would be a T-176 4 speed,T-150 3 speed or even a T-4 or 5. I know it's calling it weak but under what conditions? wheeling or street racing / driving. I have a few T-90's or T-86's if you want one? :D

13. montclaire

montclaire

Were any of those available in a 2wd version? It's going behind a stock I6 and will be limited to street driving, no real racing as this will mostly just be a cruiser. I may romp on it every now and then though... I would consider a 3spd as well, and even a 5 but I'd rather not use a 5. It has to be easy to source, easy to get parts for, reliable, and needs to install with minimal specialty parts; I want this to be pretty much a 'bolt-on.'
    I posed the question to Christian Hazel of JP Magazine, and he recommeded the T-18. Novak steered me toward the T-4/5, but their own website trash talks it. I'm open to other ideas if they come close to what the T-18 has to offer. It will be going in a 31 willys, which is similar in size to a model A, so length and shifter location may play a part in trans selection.

14. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Don't get me wrong the T-18 is a Monster of a trans ,but sucks driving on the street I have one in my CJ. It'll snap your neck and pull a 100 year old oak out of the ground! I like the idea of the T-5 but not the location of the shifter. The bell housing on the 258 is a Ford pattern and so many options T-10 will bolt in as well. But a T-150 out of a F-100 or F150 truck or 74-77 cj I'm pretty sure off the top of the head will give you a cheap trans. But the T-5 has overdrive and really makes the hotrod sweet on long road trips and highway driving.

15. montclaire

montclaire

The T-150 might work, Novak has a little write-up on it and it seems strong enough, and it's a top loader as well. What years was it available in the fords? The T-10 seems too long for my application.

I thought about having a 5 speed for highway drives, but where am I really going to go? The most may be a drive out to Hot Dog Johnny's in NJ (if you know, you know, if you don't, you don't), and that's old state routes if you want it to be. Ford excursions and semis weaving around me at 85 mph doesn't sound all that fun, and the interstate system around here is severly congested. That's why I figured a 4spd might be the way to go; just enough gears if I really want to brave it.

16. montclaire-

if you want a good hotdod, hit Jimmy John's on 202 in West Chester (have one for me- I miss 'em)!

17. err... hotdog:rolleyes:

Oh, their milkshakes are grea, too- hand spun!

18. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

With me this ranks as one of the smartest and most useful adaptations I've ever seen. My hat is off to you for having the time to work out the bugs and being lucky enough to have the resources to make it happen.

I think you will have a lot of people contacting you.

bct likes this.
  19. montclaire

montclaire

What, the milkshakes? Haha

20. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Does the Spline count on the T-5 match the one on a U-joint for the TT? or do you have to machine the main shaft?
    thanks

21. Thanks for posting those pics. Many of us have been working on the T5-torquetube idea.

22. montclaire

montclaire

What's the biggest advantage of the torque tube?

23. Elrod

Elrod

If you're asking what it does, it keeps the rear end from torquing forward or back, like ladder bars would do.

If you're asking why keep one, it's because people like the banjo rear end and the old look from behind (don't want to add ladder bars on an open drive conversion) but want better gear ratio in the transmission. Therefore, keep the torque tube and rear looking stock from the back, but get a better transmission in the drive line.

The ad below talks about why Ford uses the torque tube.

Attached Files:

Garagekulture13 likes this.
  24. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I think you will have a lot of people contacting you.[/quote]

I have made two different adapters for the T-5. One uses the Jeep trans, the other is for the S-10 4x4 trans. I think the S-10 trans is more versatile. I can post pics of the S-10 adapter later tonight.
    I have received enough feed back from the Model "A" groups that I am working on a casting patern so that I can cut my costs to a point that I could offer a kit that would include the adapter, the yokes and the U-joint with instruction on how to do the modifications. I have been running this in my '27 RPU for some time now with no problems.

John Heckman and rexrogers like this.
  25. I have made two different adapters for the T-5. One uses the Jeep trans, the other is for the S-10 4x4 trans. I think the S-10 trans is more versatile. I can post pics of the S-10 adapter later tonight.
    I have received enough feed back from the Model "A" groups that I am working on a casting patern so that I can cut my costs to a point that I could offer a kit that would include the adapter, the yokes and the U-joint with instruction on how to do the modifications. I have been running this in my '27 RPU for some time now with no problems.[/quote]

You sir are a lifesaver. Thanks.

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

The trans spline and the driveshaft spline are different. No mods to either spline required for the adaptation. The adapter bolts right onto the trans flange. Torque tube bolts to adapter. The drive shaft and the torque tube have to be shortened.

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Elrod

Elrod

I'd be happy to participate in any product testing you may need! :D

28. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here are a couple of pics of the adapter I made for the S-10 4x4 trans

Attached Files:

QcATudor and volvobrynk like this.
  29. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Crazydaddyo - thanks for the continued input on this. I think the market for the V8 version is actually larger than the Model-A version, but I could be mistaken. I think you need to start casting the V8 versions too!!

Montclaire - A T5 is MORE than adequate for what you want to do (as is a T4, but if you're going to the trouble to adapt, why not get the 5th gear - same physical size). The T18 is a painful, heavy, bulky, but very strong transmission - probably not suited for what you want to do. YMMV