Register now to get rid of these ads!

S10 frame 0n 48 chevy question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by No_Respect, Apr 7, 2008.

1. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Do you need to push the motor back on a 2.8 s10 frame when installing an sbc for the 48 chevy pickup truck? any info will be helpful

2. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

3. Clark

Clark

I'm pretty sure you have to mave it a little for fan clearance. Even if you could leave it forward it would not look right with all that space behind the motor....not to mention the further back you can move it the better it will handle (wieght distribution)
    Clark

4. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Thanks Clark I'm placing the engine in tonight the 48 is still on its frame so this helps thanks Jared

5. Mount the cab and front fenders first, center the front tire in the fenders hole. Slip the engine in. Don't ask me how I know. I'm working on a 50. Slide the engine all the way back to the fire wall

Fenderless

6. rustnpz

rustnpz

Also if using headers the steering must go through the headers to tie into gear box, an hei will be tight but will work this is the same way I set up my 49 good luck

7. Roughly 4 inches from stock is how far you will need to push the motor back.

8. chopped

chopped

What are you guys using for motor mounts when you do this?

9. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl

I believe it moves back, the mount to convert the 2.8 to a sbc already made are sold cheap on ebay. I got a set for when I start the project 85longbed standard cap with a 53 chevy pu on top 98 rear with disc brakes from a expidition from memory. money,money,time,time

10. I am using a 350 out of a '95 full size van. I simply used the stock mounts, (engine and cross member)from the van. Just redrill the holes in the cross member once you get it leveled,squared and the angles set where you want it. I was amazed at how much farther
    back it sets from where the 2.8 sat. My goal was to use everything off the van, Left exhaust manifold is throwing me fits. I won't be using the original.

Fenderless

11. dt50chev

dt50chev

I'm using a 230 inline 6 in my '50 model. I had to make my own mounts. I too learned the hard way about mounting the engine before mounting the cab. I measured everything very carefully, drew pictures, measured again. Needless to say, after I mounted the cab, I had to move the engine and transmission back about 3.5" I had to fabricate new engine and transmission mounts and shorten the driveshaft. Mount your cab first!!!

12. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl

ebay also has 350sbc specific headers for the install of 350 in S10. Ed

13. Not to be a smart ass, however i am mounting a sbc into an s10 frame it is not the same with the 50 cab on it. As Elmer Fudd say's
    "Be very very careful"! I read and read on the webb, just wasted a bunch of time. The older chevy cab sits in a different local than the s10.

Fenderless