Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Pontiac Delivery Chop (dialup users will need to get a coffee)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hoitink, Apr 7, 2008.

1. hoitink

hoitink
    from MB

This is a picture show of the epic journey of a 49 Pontiac started it last night for a buddy and he just wanted the
    hard stuff done and tacked together. So in my mind great I get to do the fun stuff and he'll finish the tedious stuff good deal lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first of many cuts

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. hoitink

hoitink
    from MB

And now the none traditional way of top chopping. If I can help it I don't cut up the top but move the post back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now for some lovin in the rear

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tada...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. well fuck... never seen that before...

going to take me a while to process this....

Pretty cool.

4. damnfingers

damnfingers

The extra piece of the door jamb that you welded in...did that come off the piece that you cut and moved back?

5. hoitink

hoitink
    from MB

Was a chunk from the door jamb that I cut out.

Brent.

6. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

What cha gonna do about that rake?

7. looks great chopped!-nice job

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I just have to ask...(I have a 50 Chevy delivery I'm going to start very soon).....on the LONG seam that runs from the back of the door, to the rear window, "why did you make a butt weld there?"
    A long time ago, when I began looking at mine, I thought I could save a TON of work by splitting the seam where the roof is spot welded to the top of the quarters, behind the stainless belt molding, cutting out the required amount of sheet metal, and then reweld the roof back to the quarters at the factory spot weld locations.
    Is this an option you looked at? Or wasn't it practical..I havent even looked at mine in 5 years!
    Seems to save a lot of time, welding and warpage if "IF" you could do it this way!

9. hoitink

hoitink
    from MB

Not mine to decide :) but my friend tells me it's going to be slammed to the weeds.

10. hoitink

hoitink
    from MB

Don't have the delivery here to check but do you mean the long line across the side or just in the rear at were the back door is supposed to be?

11. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

The line along the side, you can see in the pics where you could have hid the weld seam behind the stainless trim.

12. hoitink

hoitink
    from MB

It actually bulges out in that area and didn't want to pull the metal that far out to the seam. All so the lines wouldn't line up right with the door if you didn't run the chrome trim which this fellow isn't going to run.

Brent.

13. last g-man

last g-man

......did the pie cut/spread adjustment you did at the rear corners cause any geometry changes for the back doors?...or did removal of the same height amount [doors as body] suffice? .....did that make sense?

I've got a Chevy panel truck and all the chops I've seen done on those types of bods used a cut laterally across the top to be able to push the two pieces apart [front to back]...example: Ford panel in the Tex Smith "how to" book.

Don't know yet if I'm gonna tackle it or not....that Poncho looks killer by the way!

14. hoitink

hoitink
    from MB

Well he didn't have the door but I would imagine you would have to pie cut at the seam and lay the top back and then chop it like the side door.
    I pulled the rear of the roof like that cause the roof seemed the flow much better in my mind. (big plus that my friend loved cause it wasn't to much work to do in my mind anyway) and only took an evening to get the chop done.

Brent.

15. last g-man

last g-man

....yeah, lookin' now at the first two pics you can see that the rear "tips" in slightly at the top. Really nice work Brent.

16. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

17. how much chop was taken out of sides and how mutch out of w/shield postthanks johnrodz

18. chopperjeff

chopperjeff
    BANNED
    from minnesota

sweet shows us the back door.........of the truck

19. hoitink

hoitink
    from MB

Don't got a back door not sure what the guy is doing all I know is it's in his hands now :)

I took 4" out front and back

20. i see you cut 3 slices above pas w/shield.why? was 4 inchs also cut out of windshield post i heard u need more cut out on post w/a slant.man i realy like this chop you don your homework hear man.

21. hoitink

hoitink
    from MB

Did that to take the pressure away when pulling the posts to line them up.

Brent.

22. essexrat

essexrat

That thing looks very familiar.....can't wait to get more work done on it...hopefully be rollin this year...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  23. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

great pics, great looking chop---you are the man---congratulations

24. Olds Tinman

Olds Tinman
    from W.N.Y

That is very sweet.....

25. essexrat

essexrat

Unfortunatley the front clip is elsewhere....she's rockin a 52 Chevy front end now...would like to find the proper one someday...still looking for a back door though, although I've got a couple leads. BTW,she sits much lower now.

26. u got any new pics

27. essexrat

essexrat

I've got a few pics, but can't remember how to upload them on here....always get an error. Haven't done anything to the body yet, just redid the floors. Had my small block in it last spring, but decided to pull it and put it in my 52 Poncho sedan which was my driver at the time. Kinda put it on the back burner again, since I wanna do this one right. Will be getting this one going again once I get my 49 Chevy Panel driving...

28. essexrat

essexrat

Ok...here are a few pics of how she looks today....still needs a ton of work, but she's on the the "to do" list

Attached Files: