Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Flatz paint ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sumo, Apr 5, 2008.

1. sumo

sumo

I was concidering spraying my 59 belair with hot rod flatz paint, I did some test panels and it sprays and lays down nice, I was wondering how it holds up in the long run. Like UV exposure and weathering?? Chalkiness??

2. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I'm not a painter, but i am looking at doing the same. My painter buddy said it has all UV stuff and hardeners in it... You should be able to read some posts here from people who know or have used it.
    Good luck...
    Jay

3. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

Just out of curiosity, if your gonna take the time to paint your car why not shiny paint???

4. SCR8PINHRD

SCR8PINHRD
    from delta pa

I've done a ton of research on this topic, before I purchased my paint for my 54. I have talked to several people who have had the paint layed down for over a year and say it looks great still. I also was told that it's tough and doesn't chip easy.

The only bad thing I have heard is the pearls/metallics are hard to lay down. That they tend to pool.

I'm not that far from you, would love to see your ride after it's painted. I'm planning on painting mine next weekend if all goes well.

5. Clark

Clark

Fifty5c...that's like asking "if you're gonna drive a car why not drive a new one" It's all about the look. Certain flattened colors have a really cool look to them. Besides that they are easy to take care of.
    Clark

6. jscoma47

jscoma47

maybe because its his car and thats the way he wants it to look.
    just my guess.

and to help the post i have used it on my pickup,its been 2 years and it sits outside year round..still looks good.

7. Yeah the metalic flat look real bitchin, thinkin about that for my projects. would like to hear some more feedback on that type OR other brands that have cool flatZZZZZ lines.

8. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

Oh well to each his own I guess...Good luck with it.

9. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

not necessarily, in one of my Rod and Custom magazines from last year (feb or march i think) they did a big artical on the suede vs shiny. the consensus was that the suede was just as hard if not harder to take care of.

10. John50

John50

I run the hot rodz flatz black suede and i really like the look and the durability. It was easy to lay down and a single stage. The only negatives would be you cant blend the paint which means you have to paint an entire panel if there is a fuck up. And the results change depending on the weather (temp and moisture) so paint the whole car at once. I use some quick detail spray and wipe it down when it gets dusty or dirty. Seems pretty maintenance free.

11. 65Riviera

65Riviera

why would that be? i missed that article....

my riv has a natural california "suede" right now. i just need to do a quick wash, hose down and wipe off the chrome and windows. about as low maintenance as you can get....

12. Clark

Clark

lostn51...I can only talk from experiance. Watch the guys with shiney paint dust their cars all weekend at a show. Then watch the guys in flats drink beer :)

Flat cars don't show dust,dirt and fingerprints like a shiney car.

There may be a misconception as to how easy flat stuff is. Shitty bodywork will look just as bad on a flat car as a shiney car....so prep is important.

Unlike shiney cars...what you spray is what you get. There is no buffing and fixing a flat paint job. Then again when you spray it ..it's done. Shiney cars take a lot of work to buff and if you're not uffing your shiney car you're not doing it right.

Cleaning is simple. wash like you would wash any car. If you have grease on the car spray it with a little simple green or cleaner like it. It will come right off. Don't scrub the car cause you'll just end up buffing it.

There is no right or wrong. Both shiney and flat look good. It's just the look you're after. You'll allways have opinionated people that can not see outside the box.
    Clark

13. scr8p

scr8p

personally, i agree and disagree. even if a repair needs to be done on a basecoat/clearcoat job, yes you can blend color in the repaired area, but you should still clear the entire panel. atleast with the flatz paint, after you respray it, your done. you don't need to spend any time sanding and polishing.

i've only used this paint on one car, so i'm no expert with it. but, i painted the car in pieces over the span of a few months in a two car garage. i didn't notice any differences in the results.

14. pacemaker

pacemaker

Just painted my Hudson with the flat black metallic. I'm stoked with how it catches different light. Obviously no long term results and (like any dark color) it does show dust but it looks great and seems hard but it does have a texture to the touch although that could be the painter. Haven't even washed it yet.

15. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

keep em coming guys, because my kid wants to do his 65 rambler in hot rod flatz and i havn't sprayed any yet, and i,m curious too how it'll hold up!

16. thesupersized

thesupersized

as long as you don't drive your car through a mud circle track or something like that your shiny cars in my experience stay cleaner longer than primer/flat cars...

flat black cars show every bit of grease/grime/soot there is, including fingerprints. and no, shitty bodywork won't look as bad on a flat car compared to a shiny car, not saying it wont look good, just not as bad.

Cali4niaCruiser and sjm1340 like this.
  17. Joe Daddy

Joe Daddy

A friend of mine used it, and said it sucks! Maybe the one that sucks is the sprayer?

18. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

WOW Clark, I couldnt DISAGREE with you more...When I first got my 55 it was painted in DP90 (satin black, ratrod black, whatever you wanna call it), and it showed just as much if not more dust, dirt and fingerprints than my shiny painted 29 Ford. I understand it personal opinion but I just dont understand why if you bodywork is done and your car is ready for paint why it wouldnt be shiny paint.

19. JC_32

JC_32

This quote nails it. Not only do the results depend on temp and moisture they also depend on drying time, distance the spray nozzle is away from the part, and other gun settings. We've used the flat paint on a customer bike and when we went to re-shoot the rear fender, we could not match the tank. This is why I am planning on painting my roof white when I chop my 53. currently it is flat blue. When I chop it, I know we will have a hard time matching the color so instead of the head ache I'm going to go white.
    Here is a link showing my 53.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255811

20. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I drove my roadster all summer and it held up well![​IMG]

21. greg

greg

I used the flat black on the inside of my car, on the doors and dash. It looks ok, but didn't lay down as smooth as I would like. I am not a pro by a long shot. I used dupont base/clear on another car, also on the inside only, and it turned out pretty slick. To me the single stage paint is just a little trickier to lay down. I'm sure it was the operator! I plan on practicing a lot more before I do an overall job.
    I would rather have an ok paint job that I did myself, Than a perfect paint job I had to pay an arm & leg for. GOOD LUCK!

22. tommy v

tommy v

i sparyed the hot rodz flats on my friends merc and did not like the way it sparyed [very dry] turned out ruff ,but everybody likes it, i've based a few cars now and like that much better and theres more colors

23. maxspeedracing

maxspeedracing

This truck sort of looks flat, but then there's gloss too. What the hell kind of paint is this? I Like it!

[​IMG]

24. Lots of Pearl in it

25. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Hot Rod Flatz is just Flattened OMNI base.... it even comes in an OMNI can whith a sticker over the omni Label

26. blown41

blown41

I've never painted a car but I have a buddy who has done 50 or so and he tells me that it's nearly impossible to shoot a car without getting a piece of dust or a bug on it. I asked Hot Rod Flatz what to do when that happens and they said "you have to respray". I then asked about removing grease or oil and he said " hey, it's a flat paint job, you have to be careful man". The guy was actually kinda rude and seemed like he really didn't want to sell me any. I'm wondering if anyone has tried a regular basecoat with a flat or satin clear?

27. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

that pickup is shiny, its just that color, kinda looks dull when the sun is right on it... anyway ya you can use any basecoat and just get either flat clear or regular clear and put flattener in it, which sometimes can be a bit shinier then "flat". Omni basecoat (hotrod flatz) is OK, doesn't cover real great, and it holds solvent forever which makes the clear die back a bit(doesnt really matter for flat clear I guess). OMNI is good for the price though cant complain there..

28. BigChief

BigChief

Your friend is right....so are the HotRodFlatz people. HRFz is nothing more than an economy acrylic enamel with a hardner and a flatening agent in it. If you want to vary the level of 'flatness' you can buy shiny paint and add flattening agent to your taste.

-Bigchief.

29. BigChief

BigChief

Although modern single stage paints have come along way in the past 25 years, single stage paints are typically much more difficult to shoot than modern base-clear systems. With many typical base-clear systems as long as you've got the base down with uniform coverage and minimal problems you can burry a lot of 'sins' with the clear and rub/polish your troubles away. In the old days when you were, say, shooting a heavyish metallic single stage enamel you really, REALLY had to have a handle on the shop conditions and your gun technique to lay down a really nice coat of paint....then there is the dirt, orange peel and other issues that are difficult to remove because you can't really buff older metallic paint jobs too much without running into more issues.

Practice, practice, practice! Clean, clean, clean!

-Bigchief.

30. BigChief

BigChief

DP90 and other primers are a whole different animal than the HotRodFlats which is a paint. If you apply the HRFz correctly it shouldn't be as "dry" to the touch as primer and the surface is actually sealed and protected whereas most primers are made to be overcoated right away so the surfaces remain "open", rough and dry. Primers are much more susceptible to oils, fingerprints and attracting dust than flattened paint.....to a point. I've found that if you add a lot of flattening agent to the paint the surface can become an issue just like primer.

As far as wanting a primer/satin paint job over a shiny paint job....you just don't get it or don't like it...and thats OK. We understand.

-Bigchief