Register now to get rid of these ads!

Almost to Austin!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat Hack, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Well, I find myself sitting in a hotel with a waterfall in the lobby (not my doing...it's SUPPOSED to be there!) here in Beaumont, Texas, with just a semi-short jog to run tomorrow to roll into Austin for the Round-up! It was pretty much a last-minute decision to go...basically I got in my car down in Orlando yesterday morning and started driving, and thought "Why not go to Texas?"!!

It's been quite an adventure since I left Detroit a couple weeks ago to head down to Billetproof in Ocala, followed by ten days with The Light of my Life in Florida...and I just wasn't ready to roll back to Motown, so I turned Westward at I-10 in Florida and ended up here this afternoon!

(If anyone else plans to drive a similar route, here's a tip: Avoid stopping for a room just past Mobile, Alabama...I pulled into the parking lot of a hotel there to see bars on the front desk window and a buncha guys running around outside their rooms with no shirts on playin' grab-ass...a wee bit much even for a GMB Warrior!!! I wnt on to Biloxi, Mississippi instead!)

So, naturally, this is another one of my completely off-the-cuff roadtrips and I really haven't got a good idea where I'm going or anything, except that I know the Party is in Austin! Ha Ha...I've never been one to over-prepare for anything, and this is no exception! (But it WOULD be kinda neat to knwo where I'm headed and all!!)

Got any travel tips or anything??

Crank me at 313-655-4388

Hope to see some of you goofs this weekend...I'll be in Austin sometime tomorrow (Thursday)...look for the trademark wrinkled green 67 Dart and say "Hi" or whatever else comes to mind!

:D:cool:

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

lol, had I known you were in your way I may have headed out this morning...

3. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Damn man you get around...Good to meet you guys at B-Proof.

4. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Fuck...I've been in my way for YEARS!!! :D

5. jdubbya

jdubbya

For some reason, Steppenwolf's "Born to be Wild" is playing in my head as I read this.

Have a good time man, and make sure to drink plenty of fluids... 12oz. at a time.

Save the shirtless games of grab ass for the Round up.

6. DeVille Gal

DeVille Gal

[

Got any travel tips or anything??

Crank me at 313-655-4388

Hope to see some of you goofs this weekend...I'll be in Austin sometime tomorrow (Thursday)...look for the trademark wrinkled green 67 Dart and say "Hi" or whatever else comes to mind!

:D:cool:[/quote]

Stop by Reggie's shop in Hutto, TX tomorrow for BBQ if you are arriving in the afternoon, info under the 2008 Lonestar "Events" section - I think the thread is "BBQ anyone"

7. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

You're crazy Hack. Just turn left and aim for Texas. Nice. Can't eait to see ya again. I hope my plane doesn;t hang a left and end up in Florida!

8. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Personally, I wouldn't stop in Mobile to take a shit.

9. Yeah, Jdub, it does.

And with the Dart, I keep picturing Al Bundy riding shotgun. ;)

Have fun G, and drink a Lone Star or 12 for me!

Jay

10. wayne-o

wayne-o

Fat Hack, I'm from Beaumont. Headed out sometime tomorrow AM soon as I get finished at work. See if you can get a traffic report on I10 between Beaumont and Houston before you leave from a trucker or someone. There is some construction around Baytown and there have been major traffic issues recently. I sat for 2 Hours the other day. An alternate route it to take Hwy 90 out of Beaumont to Dayton then on to Beltway 8 north around Houston then take 290 to Austin. About a 4-1/2 hour trip. Call me 409-782-1827 if you have any questions.

11. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

Hack, I used to do everything on the cuff. Now I'm old,married,semi-responsible. I can;t wait until my 17 year old gets in college. I will be on the run again. I envy you by just getting in the car and going. The first time I was married i went to the store for cigarettes or something. I was a pipeline welder at the time. I got to talking to some guys and ended up in jackson Mississippi the next morning. I lived in Odessa ,Texas at the time. That was my first wife. She didn't hang around long. Not enough gears to stay. Hope to meet you at Austin. Be safe. TP

12. You da man hack.........enjoy the open road my friend.......wish I was along for the ride.

Viva Austin!!

13. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

you still suck yaknow... but now its INDUSTRIAL suckage... why not stay at the grabass hotel? no sense of adventure?

have fun GMBeoooooch

14. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Thanks for the tip...traffic was moving along GREAT up until the tail end of Louisianna and into Texas on I-10 yesterday...then it was sorta like being back in Michigan, except no snow!! Ha Ha!

My car isn't exactly a "sit in traffic" type of vehicle...I think it hates that as much as I do! I'll try to find my way to Austin taking YOUR route!

(Your number is in my phone in case I totally bomb it, though!)

See ya in Austin, if not sooner!!

15. Anderson

Anderson

No shit?? You gotta come find me at the show Hack! See you there.

16. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

I didn't...I held it till Mississippi! :D

17. Big Tony

Big Tony

I wouldn't worry about him cause it seems he just might take the long route scenic route..hehehe ...damn son thats some serious miles your racking up. Kewl right up

18. ryno

ryno

if your heading through joplin mo on the i-44 on the way homw hit me up with a pm and we'll some lunch.

19. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

I could probably do that...might be a couple weeks or so, though! :D

20. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Ha Ha...the long scenic routes aren't always my original PLAN, but, as Ralph Hinkley once said "I navigate like I was hit with a can of Raid!"...so it just sorta ends up that way!

The MILES are something new to this car...but it seems to be handling it well so far! I bought this thing a couple months ago in Detroit for $500...a banged up 67 four door Dart that had never left the Detroit area it's whole life, and had sat in a garage for 30+ years when the original owner quit driving in the 70s! Her grandson got the car when he turned 16, and promptly bounced it off of several obstacles, so the family yanked it from him and sold it. I bought it from the family friend who started to repair it by installing a new radiator and core support. It didn't have a grille or front bumper on it when I bought it, but I found a grille in the trunk and a bumper locally. DIRTYT fixed the brakes, then I bought a set of unique A-body 14" steel wheels with decent used tires to replace the 13" wheels the car came with...had to replace a voltage regulator, ignition switch and headlight switch...then it got an oil change and I hit the road!

Ha Ha...the car only had 28,000 Michigan miles on it when I bought it...and I've logged lotsa interstate miles since then! It looks a little rough, but it's actually my favorite car ever! Sure it has it's quirks...but who WOULDN'T buy some smashed up old beater for $500 then jump in it and drive around the country?! Ha Ha...solid lifters, points ignition, manula steering, manual drum brakes, no air conditioning and a bench seat...but the previous owner DID slip a Sony CD stereo in it...which is nice for freeway cruisin'!

Aw, heck...I'd better get my ass in gear and try to find this joint in Hutto, Texas if I can!!

See y'all there...I hope!!!!

:):D:cool:

21. ...I think it's great you are out there "trippin"...wish I was goin somewhere.
    The years just fly by anymore, you gotta go now while you can, we can never count on tomoro.
    ...good to see you're back on the HAMB. Have fun!
    ...slant sixes forever!

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

why do I have "please come to Austin in the springtime" running through my head?

23. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

FH,
    Sounds like your having too much fun. That car sounds like the perfect car for a round the country adventure. Anything that goes wrong can be fixed with black tape, pliers, and a screwdriver.

Old beaters are like old dogs, ya gotta love'em. I feel that way about my old F150 P.U..
    Drove to the panhandle last week to haul a car home and it never missed a lick.

GV

24. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Man you got some set!! What a trip . Buy this man a beer in Austin boys

25. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I'm envious as all hell! I've had the road trip itch for a while now. Have a small one comin up end of May, but it's better than nothing. Have a safe fun time!

26. Muttley

Muttley

Hack is livin' the life, I wish I was there cruising right along with you...................watch out for Wolverines and have a great time at the Round Up. ;) :D :cool: :cool:

27. Well if your gonna blow me off, at least it was a for a good reason, Austin is the coolest place ever. Have fun 'lil buckaroo! See ya the next time.

Oh,
    Rudy's, brisket, get the juicy kind... Breakfast tacos...anywhere. Oh, and I need a new ribbon magnet from that arty novelty store on S. Congress... the one thats says "Enough with the ribbons", mine was stolen.

28. AHotRod

AHotRod

Glad to have met you in person at our Billetproof....and I must say, I'd really like to just take off and drive around the country and enjoy old car gaterings myself someday..... enjoy the time, and your always Welcome back here in Florida.

29. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

What the fuck is manula steering???
    I love you, you freedom living goofball. I wish I were you right now.

30. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

its when you put one of those big envlopes over your head and drive. its not much different then how he gets around now. its a wonder he found texas at all.:D:D;)