Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Demon 98's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Capitan Insano, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capitan Insano

Capitan Insano

I just put 2 new 98's on my test stand engine that I will be showing at Del Mar Good-guys car show this weekend. They work great. I took off 97's that worked good, but the 98's are way better. It was really bolt on and very minimal tuning. I think it is a great product.

2. flatoz

flatoz

Maybe its me,

but they dont fool anyone?? As in if their trying to appeal to the traditional build, they dont fit the bill. I wish them well and all that, but if I was building a 40-60's looking car I just couldnt use them as they wouldnt look right.

its a pity they didnt put a bit more time into the 'look'

I'm sure they will find a market though.

3. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

hot rodders "Back in the 50's" used the latest and greatest to make thier cars go faster, stop faster and handle better. Why should we be any different. If the 98s are a better carb then the 97s then run them.

Dont be a fashion victim.

4. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

the markets been around since before dummy spots...

5. KIRK!

KIRK!

They aren't going for a "period perfect" look. They look like two barrel carbs. They don't look bad, but they don't look like Strombergs. I'm thinking about them for the Starliner.

6. DetroitBilt50

DetroitBilt50
    from detroit

well ive had enough of my leaky 94s. for a full fendered car i think they are great.

7. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

My customer who bought these said;

"I got a 15 HP increase with the Demon carbs compared with the 97 leakers. Nice... I have only made 6 pulls on the dyno yet, so choke is not an issue. Due to the easier serviceability it seems easier to tune. More work on the dyno will follow…"
    [​IMG]

8. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Why not just go with a single 4?

9. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I'm with you ... great idea, but so ugly.

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

are you serious? and you've been here how long? :eek:

11. jj mack

jj mack

Does any one have the Demon 98 dimensions? I have a Weiand WC 245. Carbs are 4 3/8 on center.

I sent an email to Demon and asked if they would fit..."nope need 4 7/16". surely there is a 1/16 that could be taken off to get them to fit. Hell the "DEMON" logo is probably 1/32".

Demon said it couldn't be done. Just curious. sorry for high jacking the post.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

then run a 4bbl or even better yet F.I. on a ohv motor

Or for even cheaper go modern type holley 2bbls then your atleast 60's stuff

13. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

Here's a drawing comparing Stromberg 97 dimensions to the Demon 98:

[​IMG]

14. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I think they're just producing a new two barrel. Don't think they were trying to fool anyone and certainly don't think they ever intended to try to corner the traditional market.

Brutal truth is we're a bunch of pretentious assholes. Who would waste their time trying to please us to make a buck? Doubt we're even a drop in the bucket if you look at their entire budget.

There are a few out there who manufacture the hot rod staples. Deuce rails, dropped axles, etc. who are in it purely to make profit- some of it from us. But I'll bet the majority who truly reproduce niche parts for traditional hot rods do it because they have passion for it.

My take on the carbs? They're neat. And they really don't look that bad for what they are.

15. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

How long have you been here?

Have you picked up anything at all...

Let's break it down...

Guy thinks he's a Traditional Rodder... Wants "2-Twos"... A "Six Pack"... "3-Dueces"... Cause that's what the hip kids are doing this year...

But he can't figure out how to make these "Damn Leaky Strombergs" work... Or his roadster gets blown away by some tuner...

So what's a poor "Traditional Rodder" to do?!?!?! Eureeka!!! "I'll put some Demon carbs made yesterday (and look it) on my car!!!!"

So what does this solve?

"It runs better..."
    The real question is does it run better than a single 4v? They've been around since the 50s/60s... They're cheaper. And they're still easier to tune...

"Yeah, but Hot Rodding's about going fast"...
    A single double-pumper would likely be faster... Or a vac-sec carb on a flatty...

"Yeah, but it's easier to tune"...
    ...Than a single 4? Really?

"Yeah, but I'm into Traditional Rodding and a 2x2 looks better than a 1x4"...
    If you think that, well OK... I don't have anything to say... But please don't tell me it has anything to do with being 'Traditional'...

"Well the car has a hood... So no-one will see them anyway"...
    Again... Why not run a 4bbl?

So if it isn't to have the "ultimate performance," or idiot proof tuning, or for looks, or to keep the costs down... Then why do you insist on running multiple 2 manifolds if you don't want to mess with vintage carbs?

There's been a lot of products aimed at our area of the Hobby that just don't make any sense to me...

For me, either you like messing with old cars, or you don't...

Radial WWWs... Olds-Caddy-Hemi valve-covers for the SBC... and high-performance, reworked and modernized 2bbl carbs designed for Stromberg manifolds... Just don't make any sense to me...

16. jj mack

jj mack

Thanks for the input.

Not ever holding one of comparing one to a 97 makes it hard to judge if it cn be made to fit.....

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yes, Kevin's right....

But it still looks better than a Holley double pumper, runs better than the Strombergs... I'd call that a nice compromise...

Not that a single four, unless it's those shitty Holley's you just talked about... I'd use a Carter, Edelbrock, or a QuadraJet...

There is such a thing as "Traditional Styling", doesn't have to be period correct...

They don't have to, they obviously make sense to an awful lot of people, plus it'll leave more leaky Strombergs for you...

I also like driving them, hell I'd rather drive them every day...

I can't wait for all the comments on the two Edelbrocks on my Nailhead instead of 4-Jets... bring it on bitches.....

18. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the 98's outperform 97's, given my exposure to some of their other carbs. The new Demons probably run just fine. I was approached by BG to become a dealer, but decided to pass: I'm a stickler for tradition and to me the 98's look like something a vacuum cleaner salesman might have in his bag of attatchments. They just plain don't look right on a hotrod. Of course, I'm biased and have always lived in the past. . . It's safe there. :D

19. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Styling wise, the only things I'd change are the Demon name (can grind it off) and the throttle arm (can probably change that as well).

Traditional styling is not the same as period correct.

I'd run 'em if I could afford as many as I want. I have some old leaky Strombergs, I'm a cheap bastard, so that's likely what I'll run...

20. belair

belair

21. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Alright zman, you asked for it! My '54 322 with three 97's against yer Edelbrock dual quad, tiny-valved, non-traditional what-ever-you-wanna-call-it-engine any day!!! I got mine tuned up and runnin better than ever! I bet my leaky-ass 97's will loose to you every single damn time!! So there! take that! :D Yer just not HAMB forum worthy!! Sheesh! Can you imagine that guy thinkin his Edelbrocks are better? What nerve!!! Edelbrock carbs aren't traditional... buuuut, they probably do run a helluva lot better than mine... and, they probably don't take as much fiddlin with as mine, and no doubt, he'd wipe my car off at the drop of the flag (or light).

So what's wrong with that?!! I mean really, honestly... What is wrong with that??? So you run an Edelbrock, or Carter, or Holley or Demon 98... What difference does it really make??? You car isn't "traditional" in the eyes of... Who? The "Gods of Speed"? Or your so-called "peers"? Are the afore mentioned "Gods" gonna make you breakdown on the side of the road because you are using something newer than a 1950-something fuel & air mixer in yer quest for speed, reliability, overall performance? I kinda doubt it.

Do they look like a 97 or 94? Nope. Are they cheaper? That depends. Are they easier to tune? Most likely. Would they require less messin with? Again, most likely. So what is the big debate about? Bottom line, some guys are gonna run em, some won't. Why would anyone look down their noses because of it? I really don't get it. Kinda sounds like some folks are turnin into (dare I say) "restorers" here or even worse yet... ACK!! Street Rodders!!! AAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

22. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

i have a pair on my flatty and totally dig 'em! haters will be haters i guess....

23. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

I spent alot of running of stromberg 97s on my car with a portable 5 gas analizer hooked up to the exhaust of Flatdog Express.97s do not do a good job of maintaning a proper fuel mix.I gave up on them years ago and went to# 1. rodchester 2g ,# 2 holly 4 barrel,Carter 4 barrel and finally on to #3 electronic Fi. I would have loved to try a modern old style(?) 2 barrel that mixed gas properley.Can see both sides about looks of Demon.

24. dbradley

dbradley

At least you might not have to carry a fire extinguisher................:D

25. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Kevin is right (and I include myself at the head of the pack)...we are a bunch of pretentious assholes. I know that I often will look down my nose at another's car; the styling, the way it sits, parts used in the build ad nauseum.

Another good reminder for me.

26. What are you talking about, the 97/94's were not exactly sexy!

27. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree. Maybe the 97s and 94s were not smooth or sultry, but they have a design that goes a little beyond just basic function, and looks "right."

28. I'm willing to bet they look right because of social conditioning. You have enough people tell you they look right and you begin to believe it.

I dont think the 98's look bad I just catch myself thinking...hmm... they dont look like 94's.

Danny

29. I finally put in my demon 98 which replaces my original 94 model 7RT. I did enought to get the truck running at least. All I had to do was make up a crossover linkage and get a few fittings to run the gas line.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It took about 2 or 3 tries of turning the engine over for about 5-10 seconds at a time and the engine just fired right up. Sounded great too. I have no idea how to properly set up the carb, and I'm running the original vacuum advance distributor with the vacuum line disconnected. I have no tach or timing light so I haven't done any setup at all. I don't even know what the advance is currently set at. The engine sounds really good now and it seems to idle really smoothly although I think it might be idling a little fast.

At first glance my only thought is very impressive. My next step is to get an air cleaner assembly (my original oil bath that fits the 94 does not fit the demon because the deom doesn't have the lip) and get an msd distributor with centrifugal timing. I'd also like to hook up the original hand throttle, but I'm not sure how to get that to work yet, as well as the choke when the choke kit comes out because I'd like to retain all the functionality the truck originaly had.

I've included some pics above, to show what it looks like, because contrary to what some others seem to think I don't believe the demon looks out of place on a flathead at all.

30. xbtnikx

xbtnikx

well, the demon 98s have definetly grown on me. i was skeptical at first. but why? was it because a majority of people on a message board aren't accepting them? jesus. who cares? i'm through being cool. the 98s look better everytime i see them. if you can look beyond all the "period this, correct that.." bs, you'll see what appears to be a real solid, quality carb. i understand the 98s aren't for everyone, and thats fine.. but if anything, just give some respect where it's due once in a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.