Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tranny question?????????????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wingnutz, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Well I went a whole winter without firing up the roadster and today Iwas looking at the car to assess the remaining work to be done and I noticed a puddle of tranny fluid under the car.

First I thought that the "O" ring around the filler was leaking... "Nope" it appears to be coming from the front seal of the tranny...!

Normally I'd just yank the trans and replace the seal but I planned on replacing the trans two months from now and I haven't the cash or the time right now to move up the schedule...!

My question... are there any liquid sealers that I can pour in there to stop it from leaking???

2. plmczy

plmczy

I've never used them but I've heard bad things about using those types of sealers in automatics. Sticking valves and servo pistons and stuff. later shawn

3. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I had a Poncho with the T400.Every spring when I took it out of storage I had to take a roll of paper towels to clean up the tranny fluid that leaked from sitting. Seemed to only leak when it sat for long periods. Started driving it and it quit leaking on its own every year. Drive it and see what happens

4. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

in that case, doesn't Lucas have a trans. sealer? I know I've had real good luck with other products of theirs

5. hoarder1212

hoarder1212

GM trannys are known for this, The fluid drains back to the low areas of the trans and will push its way past the seals,ie tranny pan and front seal.Do you have a GM? I would drive it locally and put a hundred or so miles on it and see what happens.

6. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

sent you a pm

7. kooldaddy-o

kooldaddy-o

Do not put any "sealer" in any trans...they swell all the seals and then its junk..the seals are a specific engineered size....drive the thing you are probably ok....I rebuilt transmissions for 26 years

8. toms37gmc

toms37gmc

I've had GM 350s and PGs in my street rod for 25 years and every spring there is a small puddle of tranny fluid under the car, after it sits for about 6 months in the Minnesota winter. I took one to a shop once and the guy replaced one external seal and told me not to worry as they all do this. I've never had a failure on one yet. They all seem to stop leaking after you drive them for a bit.

9. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

The 350 Turbo in my Marlin has been doing that for 20 years. Every spring, get it out, top up the trans, and it doesn't leak all summer.

10. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I'm with the guys that say leave it alone. A couple of my torqueflites do the same thing. On mine it's always the "O" ring on the shift cable. When the trans sits awhile the converter drains back raising the fluid level in the trans above the shift cable - bad "O"ring there now leaks. Drive it daily or weekly or monthly - no leaks.

11. specialk

specialk

Not to hijack, but I've got a similar (yet different) problem. I just installed a T85 OD trans in my truck and it leaks out the back when parked on an incline (front higher than back) in the driveway. I don't think it's overfilled so I'm wondering what variety of seals are in this tranny or if I have a poorly fitting output yoke?

12. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

The converter drains back after long periods of rest and durring start up the pump tries to fill it quickly.This somtimes builds alot of pressure and the fluid is unable to fillup a empty converter that fast.Either it goes past the front seal or blows out the vent located at the top of the pump.After the converter fills at its own rate topp off any purged fluid and drive it.It should be fine except for the enviormental disastor it left behind.Never use any snake oil sealers of anykind,it softens the seals and glue themseves to the drums inside the trans tearing themselfs apart.Real hatefull to the guy tring to rebuild it.

13. Dirty2

Dirty2

I am not an auto guy but I remember some yokes having a hole in the center and auto,s not having it . If yous does try putting some sealer in the hole to see if that works . If it does replace it .

14. Dirty2

Dirty2

I thought you were sick .

15. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Id try that Lucas Tranny Additive.. Lucas stuff is good.

16. specialk

specialk

To the best of my recollection, there isn't a hole in mine so I don't think that's the issue :( of course, it won't take but 20 minutes to remove the DS and find out for sure :( :( plus I love laying on my back on the garage floor :( :( :(

Oh well, gotta yank the seat and cut the floor (for the shifter) anyways, might as well try this out.

Thanks for the suggestion.

17. One auto transmission shop customer advised me to only us Lucas additives.
    His observations were that other brands corroded the metal components inside the transmissions. Lucas offers transmission stop slip and power steering system stop leak.

18. JustBryan

JustBryan
    from NE Ohio

Anyone(at trans shop) who recommends any sealer/additive for trans quick fix is just looking forward to the rebuild their going to see in the very near future.
    DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!