Register now to get rid of these ads!

Latest Hot Rod Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deuce295, Mar 25, 2008.

1. hemi

hemi

*yawn*

Trailer Rats... what's next? Flat black trailers with scabby hitches?

2. I think a lot of you got the wrong idea. I understand why he built it, and why he trailers it. He didn't say it was unsafe, just not safe for the freeway. I think there are a lot of cars that you could drive around town, but you wouldn't drive on the freeway. Nose up gassers are an example that comes to mind. They're cool to take to the drive-in or cruise nights, but not to drive to Paso from San Diego. And I also appreciate that he calls it what it is. It's not traditional, it's really not a hot rod, what else would you call it? It was well executed for what it is, and it does exactly what he wanted it too. I thought it was cool, just not my style. And as for losing respect for the magazine for covering it? WTF? Are we communist now? It's something that's popular, and quite a few people will read the mag because it's in there. Every magazine is guilty of writing articles on "fad cars". Vans in the 70s? Gas mileage in Hot Rod in the late 70s and early 80s? Shit, go karts in Rod & Customs in the 60s?

3. I applaud those who know and are defending this vehicle and builder... to get back on point here though.. the article was PUBLISHED and is in circulation.. this is just more fuel for those who are trying to make it hard for us to have our form of personal enjoyment... I am sure some journalistic poetic license was employed here for the shock value.. but the damage this may provide could be great.. I cant help but blame the author here.. Little things like this add up...

4. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

That mag has the worst photography. Look at the caddy pics. Blurry out of focus just plain lazy!

5. Tony

Tony

I feel i should add, as i said in my other post, i didn't see the truck that started all this. My response was nothing more than my general thought's..not important. :)

6. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Shit, there are plenty of wrecked cars on the highway with inspection stickers around here. May not be custom/ homebuilt deathtraps, but they are deathtraps nonetheless

7. easyrid3r

easyrid3r
    from Tacoma, WA

Actually any of us above 30 will be dead by the time our so called hobby is ruined. Ill be honest I like the damn truck and we were talking about a trade last summer for my triumph. Trevor is a great guy his 52 ford is a great car and pretty much his daily driver. Not to mention the kick ass roadster hes gathering parts for now. I see alot of guys on here day and night and wonder how the hell any of you get a car done(maybe your builder does it). Also many of you who have been in a mag with your car( I dont mean readers rides section) should know that the mag biz is just as bad as stuff in hollywood movies. Media is Media. I say shut off your computer. Get out in your garage, shop, or yard and get something done to your car. Thats all Trevor does. I dont think he could even find the power button on his computer. But hell he can weld paint and design some cool stuff without photoshop. And if anyone needs parts he has a 52 and 53 ford 51 olds and 55 buick that he is parting out. Also on the worried about licensing. I just got off the phone with Trevor and its so easy to license a car in our state. Us up here are not really worried about the other 49 states. Youll all figure out a way around it. Boyd did. Oh wait he got caught.

8. banjorear

banjorear

At first I thought you said "flat black trailers with scabby bitches."

Now that is someone I'd like to see. Why not make car shows a parade like the Rose Bowl or Mardi Gra?

The cars can be on towed on display on their trialers and slowly paraded around the fair grounds as spectators watch and hope to catch some trinket thrown from the people (or scabby bitches) on the float?

Instead of brass band music they can blare out rock-a-billy and other scene-ster music...

Yeah, I like this..

9. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

That makes me think of an "old hooker" joke:D. Also, I too was and am speaking without seeing said article. I just remember what the mag turned into. I DO respect the amount of work anybody puts into their ride, I just hate the politics of publication.

Brian

10. Elrod

Elrod

My thoughts are that it's hard to prevent someone from legally building a go-kart, or motorized bar stool.

This guy admits that it's not road safe, so the DOT is not going to have a problem with this being a car not intended for the street. It's basically a doodle bug.

Now I agree that people see junk and say, "Wow! I want to build one of those." I personally don't get the Rat Crap Rod craze intentionally building sharp, rusty, dangerous cars. I don't understand taking nice cars and making them look worse rather than better. ???

Oh well. Yeah. I think that someone is going to see these cars, say to themself, "bulding a "hot rod" is easy and cheap" and kill themselves, thus making regulations worse on our hobby.

11. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

NSRA Nationals 1998 - 13,000+ grey beards in "street rods". No rat rods - less than 20 "under 29" owners.

Billet Proof, Paso, Hundert Car Pile-up, Round-Up, etc. 2007 - thousands of cars and few grey beards.

Yeah, rat rods have really ruined it, huh.

P.S. don't just bitch about a new magazine trying to cover the trad scene - send'em some input to make it better. At least they know their C's from the from their K's and Z's.

12. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

My take on the latest Hot Rod Deluxe...

[​IMG]

The lace on this truck is INCREDIBLE!!!! It belongs to Tim Wallace, an artist in San Diego. He recently repainted it deep maroon with gold lace, even more intricate than on the photo in the magazine.

13. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I didn't buy the magazine because I think it is ridiculous to pay $6.00 for any thin little magazine.

However I did check it out for free at Walmart, and I LIKE the truck for what it is.

I also think it is a little crazy to go off on this guy. Anyone with a dead stock restored Model A is in EXACTLY the same boat. Safe to drive most anywhere but the interstate. Oh yeah, you could do it 20 years ago, but today with crazy insane traffic, 50-55 mph on the interstate is gonna get you killed eventually.

Driving over a big truck retread on the interstate with those 21 inch tires alone might be enough to get either the stock Model A driver or the hot rod pickup driver killed.

Heck, my 55 is in EXACTLY the same position for that matter. I beat on it for HOURS every week in the summertime around town and to neighboring towns on the highway. I don't drive it on the interstate because it has 4.88 gears and is turning 4,000 rpm at 65 mph and people are flying around you like IDIOTS.

I do sometimes trailer it to events far away for this reason.

But mostly I just beat on it around town just like this guy is doing...

PS: I realize there are complete pieces of crap running around out there. I just don't think this guy deserved an arrow in his backside.

Happy Motoring.

14. kinglearjet

kinglearjet

I don't see why those type o guys think their cars need to be death traps to be cool. I've seen plenty of vintage looking, even rusty looking cars built with safety and roadability in mind. wtf is the point of building a car, with a motor and wheels that you can't drive. And that goes for too shiny as well as too crappy.

15. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

The reigning questions have to be:Does the owner have liability insurance and is the vehicle safe enough that when said owner horses on it and it flies into a crowd...
    Are the show promoters gonna step up and wave their insurance policy at the maimed and injured?

16. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

No,I didn't intend for the green smiley face to be inserted in the first line of my post.
    I'm surely not trying to be a smart ass here.

17. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Yes, they do..........and it is a magazine.......this is the web......I buy a magazine for pix from guys with a great eye..........aka:Buick59........heck, look at BenD's post about taking a break from "road hauling".....it turned into a gas price drama........oh well..........by the way "Hi Mike".

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

18. fallschirmjager george 2

fallschirmjager george 2
    BANNED
    from midwest

I bought the new Hot Rod Deluxe magazine and read threw it like last issue and think both are very well put together. I wonder why they would choose those quotes to put in the magazine from Trevor Robinson about his pickup?
    Because of his truck riding so low Trevor says and I quote " on the freeway it's a accident waiting to happen."
    The last line in the article " I screw around town and freak people out in my neighborhood." Why would any hot rod builder, excuse me rat rod builder say something so stupid knowing it was going to be published in a national magazine? It boggles the mind why you would open the door to being sued if you hit someone and they bring this article to court and use your own words against you. I can hear it now, if its unsafe to drive on highway, maybe its not safe at all for any the roads period.
    What if this kid's insurance company catches wind of this article & decides to review insuring his truck because of his comments.
    I read a earlier post above where a friend tried to defend him, he would be better off to tell his friend to choose his words more carefully when talking about his cars he builds. Its just common sense.
    George