Register now to get rid of these ads!

Latest Hot Rod Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deuce295, Mar 25, 2008.

1. deuce295

deuce295

Was just looking through the latest Hot Rod Deluxe, it's actually the May issue. It's got a prety nice cover. Anyway I'm looking through it and there is a 29 model a truck featured that the owner admits he built to be a R#% Rod and that he trailers it to shows so he can drive it around because he says it's too dangerous to take on the freeway.
    I am not one to knock anyones build and the type of car they enjoy as everyones tastes differ but this article got me thinking. Is there going to be a point in the near future when the powers that be say "hey, enough is enough. No more of this" simply from a public safety point of view. And will this impact the car hobby for everyone no matter what style build they enjoy. Some how I feel a little like we are waving a red cape in front of the resting bull (government) and when they have had enough it is going to hit the fan.

I am very curious what others think??? Is our hobby in trouble???

2. PsychoBandito

PsychoBandito
    from Montreal

i think it's going to up safety inspections hugely.

3. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

He gets credit from me for recognizing his car is not roadworthy, why he built a car that isn't roadworthy is a whole 'nother question. The Tony Nancy feature was great, I loved that vette powered 40, and the fenderwell header tech was good. Good issue.

4. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I think it is ignorance. I won't knock the guys interests, but why build something you say is "too dangerous" to show to others that may be influenced to build something just like it! We don't need the blind to lead the blind, you know? Lets say some kid sees this thing, copys it, loses his life and the blame goes back to something he saw a guy "drive" to a car show. Is it named "The Disclaimer" or "Juxta-Poser"? My .02.

Brian

5. dmac620

dmac620

Very well put. I agree 100%

6. ryno

ryno

7. rab71

rab71

I for one cannot figure out why someone would bother building a vehicl that they cannot drive... Whether it because it is quality built and a show car too nice to drive or a hideous piece of junk too dangerous to drive... Just make no sense... What a huge waste of time and money.:rolleyes: If that's they're into so be it I guess...

8. It's not safe enough for the road,but ok to drive at a show ?

9. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

just when you thought you've heard everything, now their building trailer queen shit boxes.

10. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahaha

Great point.

But building show cars that dont get driven is as old as Noah. Motors with no internals etc have been going on for ages. At the big show here all cars MUST be driven 100 meters before they can set up.

11. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahaha

Great point.

Yep each their own I guess. But building show cars that dont get driven is as old as Noah. Motors with no internals etc have been going on for ages ;) . At the big show here all cars MUST be driven 100 meters before they can set up

12. Lee_ATx

Lee_ATx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not only is it ignorant to build a car you know is unsafe, but for a magazine to not only feature it, but tout the fact that it's unsafe is ridiculous.

13. deuce295

deuce295

Do others feel that this type of build could eventually have a negative affect on car hobby as a whole.

I do not mean to bash this guy's build at all since the car turned out the way he wanted and he enjoys it, which is pretty much what it's all about, but I'm starting to wonder if the equipment that is being put on the road is going to start bringing attention to us that we may not enjoy.

14. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

It is one thing to build a piece of crap and hurt yourself, another to do it and hurt somebody else. I agree, why even build a piece a crap you are too afraid to drive? The fact that it is such a piece of crap and now in a magazine is even more beyond belief. Personally, if it were mine, I would be too embarrassed to have it in a magazine or let anyone know I was too afraid to drive it because it was so bad. Pretty lame and unbelievable actually. Reality is though, I see a lot a junk at shows I wouldn't drive either because they did look way too dangerous and/or because they were just so poorly build and ugly I would be embarrassed to be seen in it. I don't want to be elitist because I am ok with whatever style someone wants to build. But I don't have a lot of respect for willful bad construction and just plain ugly junk parts crap cars. Unfortunately ugly, dumb and poorly built is actually a "style" some people like for some sad reason.

15. Tony

Tony

I think that if a vehicle is built unsafe, that could possibly injure or kill someone because there was no regard to quality only interest in shock factor, eventually it will have an effect on the rest of us who take pride in thier work.
    I think that's one of the biggest reason's the "rat rod" label has become such a negative remark towards our car's. We, in general, spend a lot of time and money making thing's safe, not only for us but for those around us. Many of the car's refered to as rat rod's are honest shit boxes not fit to be rolled around let alone driven.
    If the poorly built 'shock factor' style car's were to cause accident's due to lack of quality, injuring someone, they (the masses who dictate laws etc..) would probably not pick and choose who's car's are unsafe and who's car's are not, they would probably be lumped together...thus effected everyone..

Why on earth someone would spend the time to build a pile of shit is beyond me..If it's for notoriety, I'd rather be known for quality work over how bad something is any day all day.....Or not be known at all and have personal pride knowing it was done right....

And i haven't seen the car in question or even care to...
    Ok, enough of my rambling :)

Tony

16. Myself personally? I lost respect instantly for the magazine when I saw and read that article. They unfortunately are justifying these types of cars. I like some of the other coverage but it feels as if they are trying to compete in an already oversaturated market and not doing that great of a job.
    The truck in question is by no means my style nor would I ever consider driving something like that.
    I believe there will be plenty of feedback about the article that the editor will have to deal with.

BloodyKnuckles

17. plmczy

plmczy

It's been in trouble for some time, but not in the way your thinking.
    scrapping laws
    painting regulations
    unreasonable zoning laws, etc.

These are the things we should be concentrating on, not worrying about somebody who built an unsafe "rat rod" on purpose. At least he is trailering it. What we need in this nation today is tolerance, enough of "this is bothering me" crap, it's destroying this nation everyday. sorry just my opinion. later shawn

18. bcfordman

bcfordman
    from cortez co

hey panhead pete I didn't know you had a stutter,but actualy to the point of the thread,I am confused buy the press and coverage given these days to the R R thing ,I have a great respect for traditional cars ,and even for cars that have been "patina"ized,but I can't seem to get a grasp on the latest trend of joke rods, and what seems to be an unspoken contest to build the worst POS that can still move under it's own power,I don't rememberwhat mag it was but I do remember seeing a car in the last yr or so that had obviously been built down to try to fit the current trend,any one who read ed roths chopper mags andstreet chopper mag remembers the rat bikes that they featured from time to tim ,they too fell out of favor,every tv show these days is building a RAT ROD, and don't get me started on Courtney Hansonshe spouts rat rod this and rat rod that like she knows what she is talking abot ,then stands infront of a 56 f100 and calls it a chevy f100 like nobody on the production crew or thech adviser or anyone could pick up on that,then the other night DISC or TLC replayed an old episode of rides that I had not seen,they built a nice 61 caddy coupe for billy gibbons ,nice paint nice upholsterynew chrome air bags americans etc ,so I press the info button and it says , building a 61 caddy rat rod , I wanted to kick the tv in , well I guess that my rant, by the way pete ,I agree

19. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

You guys worry about so much meaningless shit.

20. Shoprag

Shoprag

Trailer Rats!!! lmao

The only time your car should be on a trailer is when its broke down and you can't fix it, not built broke down, the rat rods new evolution!!!

21. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I just got back from the store and thumbed through it. The last issue was decent, but this new issue looked to be heading down the path of Ol' School Rods and others like it. I was in a hurry and just looked at the pictures, but the '29 in question and the skanky ass hootchie mama's seemed to tell the tale.

22. ShortBus

ShortBus

Word, Mike.

You could instead be stoked for Tetanus Shot. That's his coupe on the cover.

23. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

One of these days the throttle is going to stick on one of these pieces of crap, the brakes won't work and they're going to do some serious damage to a crowd of people just trying to enjoy a car show.

24. Falcon_Rod

Falcon_Rod

I'll probably get shot down, and kicked off this message board, but I do like different examples of the whole "rat rod" style. But I have a serious distaste for someone with tons of cash building something to look like one. Kind of makes that person a poser. The whole rat rod thing is a lack of funds for anything better, but more on topic, I would hope that if you are going to pose to this particular style, you would make sure the vehicle will consistantly stop, and hold together. Nothing like making a nuissance of yourself and holding up traffic when the shit pile breaks down in the middle of the road...Just my two cents worth....
    -Gayl

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I saw the mag and didn't buy it. That's how you stop shit like this. STOP GIVING IT THE ATTENTION IT CRAVES. If you see a "rat rod" at an event or show, don't stop to look and laugh or get a pic to show your buddies, just keep walking. Hell, maybe run a little. This shit is all about getting looks. Just STOP looking.

26. roddinron

roddinron

Hell yes, and if you're just "starting to wonder if the equipment that is being put on the road is going to start bringing attention to us that we may not enjoy", then you haven't been paying attention. Hot rods have always had an element of danger to them I guess, that's what makes them so cool, (and why we get all the chicks:)) But, they were almost stricken from the streets in the late 60's and most of the 70's. They were saved by what has now become a dirty word, but I'll say it out loud, Street Rods. Street Rods actually may have saved hot rodding, by calming things down a bit, and making hot rodding more acceptable to the powers that be. Boring maybe, but most of them were safe, and guys took pride in that, by adding things like ifs, power steering, power brakes, bear claw latches etc. Now there's a kind of rebellion against them that has swung too far in the other direction, and I think spawned the so called "rat rod" movement. If guys keep building unsafe junk like so many are doing now, we may all be forced to build "Street Rods", or build nothing at all. That should scare some of you guys:eek:

27. uncle buck

uncle buck

Exactly what Buick59 said.. Welcome to the wonderful world of journalism! Trevor is a good friend of mine. Yes he jokingly made the comment to the writer of the article and it was completely taken out of context. His comment was in regards to how low the truck was and possibility of not being noticed by your typical soccer mom driving an not paying attention or trying to get a closer look while almost running in to him. The truck is no more dangerous than a T-bucket. GET OVER IT ! When the article was written, it was about the time he got it running and it had not been driven more than up and down his driveway. It was also written about 100 miles from his house . Sure he trailered it,so did quite a few of the others that also brought their cars with motorhomes to camp out at the event in with their families. It was afterall "the unfinished nationals " weekend event .Yes it is crude. Yes it is primitive. Yes he calls it a RAT ROD as many of you cannot deal with. Yes he did make a point to call it that more so to piss all of you whiney ass people that dwell on the phrase (go ahead and flame me for that). It may not be the safest looking ride out there, but he built it on a almost non-existant budget (newlywed -new baby - and new house all took priority as they should) and is having fun with it. While it was built with a lot of used and discarded parts,many things in the safety department were addressed such as all new 4 wheel hyd brakes , steering etc. While it was more of a joke when he started building it, as it became more obvious he was going to finish it he redid quite a bit of it to make it safer. Bottom line is Trevor is well known to alot of the N/W car guys and well liked ,so say whatever you like about , while you guys are bitchin he is laughing and having fun. Thats all I am going to say about this thread. Flame me all you want too
    Dave

28. I also know Trev and he is very talented and has a nice chopped 51-52 Ford that is all old school or should I say traditional. He is an unreal painter and is way beyond his years with his talents. I actually call him for advice on paint and building my Whippet. Everyone should pull up their panties and quit whining like little frickin girls. The first time I saw his new project on the road, it drew everyones attention and had a crowd around it all day. It is very unique and in person , it rocks. As far as safety, it seems i have heard a bunch of people complain here about bump steer and bias ply tires not tracking worth a crap. Well guys, then you might as well all get some new suspension and radials and there goes traditional. Theres room out there for all types of cars, be it Street Rods, Hotrods, Rat rods, Customs, Traditional, Stock, Muscle cars, Exotics etc etc etc.....
    Get over it. I tend to like most all styles of cars. He didn't build it to be Traditional as he has said, and if you don't like it too bad, don't look at it. I'd rather drive his car, than probably 90% of all your daily drivers. It's definately different and the danger aspect is not being seen by most traffic, as he points out in the article. It would be a real lonely place if everyones tastes were the same as yours and every car was the same. How many cars still run with mechanical brakes, or drum brakes. Maybe you should all pull em off and go 4 wheel discs for safety. I DONT THINK SO!!!! Trev is a low profile guy and built his Rod the way he wanted to. And as far as I can tell, he's got about 6 pages in a magazine and 99.9% of you dont. Congrats to Trevor Robinson. Oh, and he didnt post it on this forum either. A Hamb member did.

29. Richard Head

Richard Head

Well, I must say that my whiney ass is pissed. Consider yourself flamed!

Dave

Attached Files:

30. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

From the point of view of a guy who knows the truck and builder....

The truck was an experiment, he took all the stocker model A stuff that others cast aside and built a mean lookin' hot rod and all for peanuts. He does drive it around just not on the freeway, its simply a clearence issue. Other than the fact its only a few inches from the ground its totally drivable. Its aggravating when people start bashing the truck and the guy without knowing the full story. As said in the previous posts hes a very talented guy, he paints, does body work, welds and went to school to become a machinist all at the ripe age of 30. The truck was sought out for the spread, hes not rockabilly scenester that goes looking for magazine coverage. He a respected guy in these parts and well liked by the folks who know him.

The whole "rat rod" controversy is so played out at this point. If your honestly one of the guys who gets "it" you don't sweat what others are doing because your too busy building your own idea of the perfect car. John