Register now to get rid of these ads!

I have an Idea I think

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gumpa, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Gumpa

Gumpa

Okay I am still a little new around here and this may have already been suggested or even tried... How about a book of wrecking yards around the country that has old parts or even a book that lists all the wrecking yards with a note as to the ones that have some old parts. I would vollenteer to compile it and send it on to Ryan or somebody so we could all send a few bucks Ryans way and he could upload a PDF file of it to us and we could print it out and have what we want or just the parts of it that we want. I am getting ready to make a trip (Friday) to Wyoming and I sure could use a book like that myself. What do you guys think? Gumpa

2. guiseart

guiseart

I don't know... most of us like our little "secrets" :)

3. I have seen a junkyard or salvage yard book somewhere before. Maybe the library. I think it was called "A Guide to American Salvage Yard ". It was cool. I like the idea.

4. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

5. ryangobie

ryangobie
    from Jersey

6. Gumpa

Gumpa

I just tried it and it didn't give me even one of the 5 yards here locally. What I want to do is list all the Wrecking Yards (Big and Small) in America and make it an exclusive to the HAMB members for a small price to Ryan. Gumpa

7. Big Pete

Big Pete

Make it like the old "Woodall's" guide with ratings etc.

8. jalopyshots

jalopyshots

there is a book called something like, "the best junk yards in america". I saw it maybe 8-10 years ago. I'd be willing to keep an online list, but people do have thier secret junk yards.

9. GTS225

GTS225

Not trying to put a damper on your idea, but I suggest the best "yards" aren't really active yards. They are the older farms that still have a pile of old cars down in that slew, or over in the back forty. Sure, more than a few started out that way, then went "legit", but those allow the public in, (or used to), and most of that stuff would have been picked over. (At least that's the way it is in my area.)
    What I wouldn't give to have such knowledge, though.

Roger

10. Gumpa

Gumpa

I understand people not wanting their private stash site let out but the ones I am talking about are the yards that are open to the public that have a stash of old cars back in the very back row where parts are available for a price. Those of us out looking for a special part would love to know which direction to look. Gumpa

11. Gumpa

Gumpa

I would be willing to type it up by city and state with comments from people that have been there and put a star rating on it or something and then send it out to Ryan on a CD that he could upload to anyone that sends him the cash or whatever. Gumpa

12. skidsteer

skidsteer

Gumpa, I'm new to the HAMB--did this project ever get off the ground? I read the recent thread "bad day in Montana", and that's enough to scare anyone, even the guys who insist on keeping their "private stash" secret. More and more yards are being turned into vacant fields. I'll volunteer to help type this up, if it can work.

13. skidsteer

skidsteer

As an example, I just searched car-part.com for a trunk lid for my '37 Plymouth, and it's telling me I'm required to enter my e-mail address, phone number, etc, etc. All I think we need is a central list of junk yards, so somebody could go to a yard and look around for parts they need, before these cars are crushed and re-formulated into rice-burners.

14. It only does that if the part is not in the database. Try looking for a flathead engine or a 283/327 and you'll get lots of hits.

15. skidsteer

skidsteer

That's exactly the point, little yards that are most likely to crush rare old iron don't have anything listed in any database anywhere. H.A.M.B.'ers simply need to spread the word where these yards are located (with a phone number, to cut down on the likelyhood of getting shot), so those of us close by can go there and poke around.