Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds Jet-away Trans. How many gears

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kurt, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Kurt

Kurt

i have a olds 394 with the Jet-away transmission out of a 59 or 60 im trying to sell. How many forward gears does this have?
    Had it sold then the guy backed out saying it was a powerglide and didnt want it. I know its not a Powerglide because i have one of those on the floor right next to it.

2. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

The Jetaway is a four speed.

3. Tony

Tony

4. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Not if it is a Jetaway. It is two speed , like a power glide, but with a switch pitch torque converter operated by an electrical switch on the accelerator pedal.

5. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Two different Jetaway's

1956-64 (56-60 for Olds only) are 4 forward speeds (this is what you have if out of 59 or 60 Olds.

1964-1969 - 2 forward speeds with variable pitch stator, behaves like PG but is different beast

6. Kurt

Kurt

I thought it was 4 forward like everyone is saying.

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Kurt: GM made two Jetaway transmissions. The early one is 4 speeds. The newer one (which is same as Buick Super Turbine 300) is a two speed. :rolleyes:

The older one had other names, such as flashaway, super hydramatic, stratoflight, controlled coupling hydramatic, dual coupling hydramatic, and probably a few more that I don't recall. It also had a cast iron main case, whereas the newer 2 speed unit is all aluminum.

:eek:

8. Kurt

Kurt

Mine is a cast iron unit.

9. outagas

outagas

here's a pic of the 57 Olds Jetaway 4 spd trans. FYI
    7ad1_1.JPG

10. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

If you want to find out everything you need to know about your transmission call this guy: www.transmissionsbygene.com. He has a toll free number that you can call. I talked to him last night and he is the most knowledgeable person I have talked to about the function and being able to rebuild transmissions from the 50's. The guy is about 100 years and is a kick to talk to. Definitely the last of a dying breed.