Register now to get rid of these ads!

dan picasso?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lucky, Mar 2, 2008.

1. whatever happened to him? he still around? amazing artist and funny as all helllll

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I talked to him a few weeks ago... Still in Marathon, TX and doing his own thing out there. Not sure how much art he is doing these day.

Man, he is a talent...

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I miss him immensely.....
    If you read this Dan...call and chat.

4. glad to know he's still above ground... my favorite artist out there. true talent indeed

5. Mpls 40

Mpls 40

Dan's still around and doing well.

Those of us in Minneapolis are fortunate enough to see his work somewhat regularly as he does the covers for the City Pages, our independent weekly, from time to time.

6. ray

ray
    from colorado

the fat hack thread made me think of picasso too!

maybe we can guilt dan out of seclusion too?

hey "Foiled Again" come say hi!

7. we are the knowbodys...we are from knowhere...lol

8. Miss ya Dan'l. If you see this, drop me a line.

9. spoke to him a Christmas time....hes not into the car side of things like he used to be...shame...great bloke.....i`m sure he said he still checks in here now and then

10. D Picasso

D Picasso

Hey Lucky, Ryan, Ray, Jeffrey, Miker, John, Tim and all you'un's:

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm still around, still getting little colored dots on the right leg of my jeans from the airbrush.
    Kind of rolled everything, Galaxie, Olds and all the bikes, into the shed back a while back- it's like a time capsule of April '04. Wish I'd stocked it with several hundred gallons of gas at '04 prices.

Lately I've been getting nice and black under the fingernails again, working on something that makes a little more sense to me given the record price of oil, and it's bringing me back to a time when a set of metric wrenches, or at least an 11, 13 and 17, could solve any problem: An old VW. [​IMG]

It's a '61, and dead-bone stock, a Texas car all its life, and frankly runs better than I do.

I'm still doing a few car things art-wise here and there, and occasionally look in on the Friday Art Show here, and I'm astonished by the talent I see. I miss the board, miss the old days, but there's no going back to the time when Lucky and Speedfreak and Axle and Germ and I would horse around doing Sol Rosenberg manifestos and other such tomfoolery. It was a rowboat back then, now it's an ocean liner.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for the call-out, it makes me smile. Maybe someday there'll be a light at the end of the tunnel- gas cost a fortune in '80 but oftentimes what comes up goes down....or not. I'm a serial optimist.

-Dan P.

11. Tease, now go away and come back in 4 years! hahahhaha

12. hey hey! glad to hear back from the land of the lost! that VW is niiice(always have a soft spot for old bugs)...yeah, you can never go back, but I sure do smile thinking about the old days on here.. moving to the country of texas this fall..maybe I'll catch a glimpse of that bug

13. Mike

Mike

14. 53chevy

53chevy

Hey Dan! Glad you're doing well. Your one of the BEST! and it's shame we can't see more of your work. Most of what I see in the mags are so, How can I say it, BLAND. Hope you get back to contributing art in some shape, form, or fashion.

Ken

15. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

Dan, I tried to get hold of you last Thanksgiving. Look me up and get me some updated contact info.

16. Another country heard from! You my friend need to give us an update on what you got going!

17. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

Travel for work. Travel for fun. Getting very serious about the sports car racing. I was in Denver last month and met a few motorheads and dropped in on a cool shop in Erie.

Sold the autocross Miata I raced the last two years. I bought a superbike powered Lotus 7 that needed some work and got it on the track. 120hp and 1000 lbs is a handful. I'm about to start on a Production class car. A full tilt tube frame on the stock floorpan roadracing Miata and once I'm done with it I'll move the engine over to a Prepared class Lotus Europa I've got waiting in the wings.

Finally moved into a "normal" house with a two-car garage. I'm renting another two-car garage from a coworker, borrowing a single garage spot from my folks (they have a four-car) and still have a pile of stuff stored at Ty's place in town.

I'm skipping the SCCA National Championships this year while I do some car development. I plan on going to Bonneville after skipping it last year. Wish I could have gone to Detroit last month, but my work schedule kept me away. I did make it to the GNRS though I was in a rush and didn't get to meet many folks.

Been dating a girl that's also a racer. Last fall she raced a bike at Speedweek, a Mini Cooper S at the SCCA Solo Championships, a class 3 truck at the Baja 1000 and an Acura at the Paris Texas stage Rally. She just landed a position teaching Motorcycle track days at Harris Hill Raceway in San Marcos.

I sold my old Modified to a fellow club member who had Ty finish the chassis and install a hot banger. He died recently and the car was sold to another enthusiast in the area. I don't know who's finishing it. I've got that photo of the slammed black full fendered '28 Roadster on Buick wires on my desk. I tried to get down to So-Cal last time I was in LA to see some more photos of it, but ran out of time. Still have the hots for that car.

Other than that...getting fatter, grayer, and balder. But you can see me yourself in a couple weeks. I'm planning to be at the LSR for more than Friday evening this year. I still check into the HAMB every few days to see if anything interesting pops up. I've still got the same email and phone that I've had for 15 years.

How's that for an update?

18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

good to see yer around Dan, you are a god.

xoxox

19. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Nice V-Dub.I rebuilt those to pay for graduate school.Always a soft spot for me.:)

20. Huge fan, Dan, miss ya. Love the Dub too. I think someday there may be a Karmann Ghia in my future.

21. Update or autobiography!?:D

22. Mopar34

Mopar34

Nice bug! Had a 61 in blue. Wish I still had it (40 mpg) but it served me well. Allowed me live to see another day in a nasty roll over in 67.

23. Sailor

Sailor

Hey, Dan, good to hear from you. Im btw pretty much in the same rowboat as you (double-sculler sorta). Nice bug.

24. 53chevy

53chevy

Love the Minutemen tag-line Dan P, just noticed it. Sailor, still doing art work. Man u hava a Great style too! Website?

Ken

25. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Talking of Dan Picasso, where's Honest?

26. DrJ

DrJ

Hi Dan!
    First car I bought myself was a '61 Bug.
    Seapuke Green.
    I painted it The Metallic Brown That just came out on Rivieras that year.

Watch out for the block under the fuel pump binding the push rod when it's hot...makes it quit...

27. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Jeez Dan, I miss our infrequent PMs about general artist's life trials and tribulations.
    ....but I do understand.

Least you've seen the BUG LIGHT! Peaceful, simple living in Volkswagens.

Germ, on the other hand, whatever.....

28. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

That would be an update. That bit of info would be the page 1 of chapter 77 of his autobiography.

I've never known anyone that has done as much stuff as Modernbeat.
    Hope to catch you at the roundup Modernbeat.

Thats a super clean VW Dan.