Register now to get rid of these ads!

7 inch or more chop/model a coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coopsdaddy, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I've driven the 'Green Grenade'...and I have to say that although the drastic chop looked really bitchin', the lack of visibility was a real issue. I either had to slouch down and sit way back in the seat, or hunch up with my nose on the steering wheel to see where I was going. It wasn't too bad on a wide open stretch of highway or an uncrowded street, but it was pretty un-nerving in downtown Dallas traffic with 18 wheelers on both sides of the car.

I think Kris (loudpedal) is a little taller than me (I'm 6'0) and he said he didn't have any problems, but the lack of visibility really bothered me. That and I hit my head on the top bows a few times over some really big bumps in the road. Don't get me wrong...the 'Grenade' is a nicely built car and has a great profile, but to be honest the 8" chop makes driving it really aggressively pretty challenging...if not a bit uncomfortable.

My '29 is chopped a couple inches less at 6" and it's a lot easier to see out of it(getting rid of the visor probably helped as well).

2. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

[​IMG]
    I gotta agree with desoto this side view is kinda strange,
    regardless of your past work.
    TP

Oh yeah back to the coupe,
    there's an old chopped race coupe that the quarter window is pointed front and rear,
    its a famous one just don't have it on this computer.
    That's kinda what happens to the overchopped coupes, cool in a race way though,
    but like BASS said the drivers visibility is an issue,
    unless your just makin a show car to sell.
    TP

3. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Hey Man, Like i said before....

I dont know about the build or the builder, I see you have some fine automobiles under yer belt... That makes me wonder even more why you would build such a car ... & the spider web deal on the Flammed coupe ? That grey coupe, The Willys & the Early lookin Rodaters & Comp coupes are Bad Ass !

I know the 'Ol different strokes deal, But i just have a hard time swallowing the the New "TRADITIONAL" Look on the Ultra Long Squished, spider web, Iron cross, Low as you can get it look.

No, My Mom told me to say what i meen & meen what i say.

Sorry to ruffle Jims feathers.. Just my opinion on the Squished look.

4. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

hehe I think that was only on the feelgood.com hotrodding website! TP

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

I guess all the guys from Ventura Ca. think the same way,.... might be something in the water,..... Jim, I think you are a very talented builder, it actually amazes me what you can build out of stuff most people couldn't even imagine trying to save,..... you have my utmost respect .

6. cruzr

cruzr

not heavily chopped by some standards, but heres my POS

Attached Files:

7. JimSibley

JimSibley

that spiderweb car was built 15 years ago. When I was in my early 20s. I had only ever seen 1 spiderweb grill insert at the time, and it was in sweden.That was LONG before the iron cross, spider web low look came in. This isnt really about my cars. im just amazed how quickly some people will rail on another guys build. You are entitled to have your own opinion. I just dont see why you feel the need to tear down another guys vision. I have built literally hundreds of cars so this didnt hit me all that hard. I just get sick of hearing judgements on Guys rides that werent asked for.

8. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Wow... how tall are you?

I saw this so I stepped out and measured my coupe. It has five plus taken out of the top. So with six inches gone from the bottom + one inch for head/roof clearance + a pretty conservative 2" for a seat... leaves roughly 29 inches. That hits me square in the nose if I'm slouching in my comfy chair. I'm 6'1"-6'2" give or take.

Did I measure that correct? Channeled my last car 4" and thought I was on the ragged edge of dorkiness with being too far out of the car - wouldn't even put a windshield on it for that reason. I want to see a picture of you in that thing without your head poking out of the top. Did you have to cut eye holes in the visor?

9. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I am 6' 210lb...

Sit damn near on the floor & have to slouch wayyy down.

Gonna be a Bitch when i get a top on, But i plan on redoing the floor, sink below the seats & go with '50s style racing buckets so i can sit lower in the car.

Its kinda like driving a Go Kart right now :rolleyes: .... A real fast Go Kart :D

10. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

I'm sure you can build a better car than Mr. Sibley. *laughs*

STFU.

11. NoSurf

NoSurf

Now now girls. Let's not get out of HAND.

We all know and appreciate both Jims and Desoto's talents and tastes.

FWIW- There is nothing wrong with a little stated opinion to verify one's own tastes.

Remember- all this talk about chop cuts is just that- TALK. Everyone is built differently. My pos coupe is chopped a whisker over 4", and at 6'-3 250 I fit comfortably. But I have long legs. My friend John rode with me in the KCS&P, he is 6'4 220 but has a really long torso and was hitting his head on a roof crossbar over some heavy bumps.

Build it for yourself. Get in and put all the components where they work for you. Steering wheel, pedals, seat height, seat depth, window etc.

I put my seat so when I sat in the car, my arm rides on the window sill right at shoulder height, LOL.

12. Doug B

Doug B

Jim, The blue coupe gave me instant wood.That thing has the 60's vibe that I love. Do you still have it? Or does a HAMBer own it? I would love to see more.

And so that this isn't a total hijack, IMHO, 4" on a 30-31 coupe is just right to still look bad,and remain functional.

13. bustingear

bustingear

SIX INCH WHACK!

Attached Files:

14. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

This ones is chopped 5 1/2 inches and I think anymore it would be a challange to drive with a Visor . The windsheild is a bit over 7":eek::D and just big enought:D

Attached Files:

15. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Apperantly you did not even read this post seeing that it says right there i wasent talking of the BUILD or the MAN.

Just that car.....

I Never claimed to be a Builder... But i do know when somthing is out of Proportion & im not going to Pat someone on the Ass and tell him how great ANY car is if its a Mess.

Man i have seen posts here saying what a Shitty car Barris Built, or Ayala Bros., or Cushenberry.... Or ANY builder for that matter.

So whats the difference here ? Cus hes a HAMB member ?

Sorry but that dont make it a nice car, Sure some of the others are Bad Ass and he Oqviuosly is a Talented man, But even a talented man can have an off build and come up with an Abortion.

I will even end this with out a Fenderless Bobber truck remark cus i know how many guys will wet there pants if i say anything :rolleyes:

16. John,

That A looks good like that. PM me about your 32 5w unchopped project, maybe we can work out a trade?

Matt

17. 28Hotrod-A

28Hotrod-A

3 inch

Attached Files:

18. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

hey larry,just trying to figure out if i want to do the 30 with a hemi or sell it all and put a down payment on a brookville coupe,im just real pickie on how i like model a's,i like a lot of chop like green grenade but wanted some feed back on drivablity,the 5 in in yours is def.what i want in a 32,maybe even a 1/2 more in front,i might still go the 32 route

19. titus

titus

20. thesupersized

thesupersized

if you're a tall bastard and worried about not fitting in there, have you considered doing a wedge chop to give you more head room?

21. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

1) I think the grille is too high as well. The rest of the build may not be my style either, but I consider that to be more subjective.

2) Some thoughts on proportion:

I used to think the Dick Flint roadster was great. I mean we all have things we would change on certain cars but as far as roadsters with track noses it was really high on my list. Then one time here on the HAMB I saw a picture of it with Dick driving and... his entire head was poking over the windshield?

How could he put so much thought into a car - a car built specifically for him - and completely overlook something I think is a most basic part of the equation? So at that instant it went from right near the top to something I just liked parts of.

So my thought is, include the driver with the hot rod and someone might see you driving down the street all hunched over and think, "woah, proportions are way off. Why would he build it that way?"

Now I've never seen a picture of you driving. And I'm probably extra conscious of this since I thought my other car was a little weird. When I would drive it I would kind of bend over. Purposely made my windshield more of a little glass knuckle-guard than an actual windshield too - obviously not useful to look straight through. I think it was a full four inches tall?

Not bashing your car, (unless you look stupid in it. :) ) I just find it all interesting.

Attached Files:

22. Bbobb here on the HAMB has an A chopped 8" and channeled, too. He has to slouch driving it (I couldn't see the rear bumper of the car ahead of us most of the time), and use a prism on the dash to see traffic signals. I would suggest parking the car with a good view of traffic(both cars and signals), and use masking tape to simulate the lower height of the windsheild before doing a radical chop, if you plan to drive it.

24. OLLIN

OLLIN

yeah from that view, you can see it. Maybe a less severe channel job would make the grill shell flow better and you could also sink the seats to get more leg room/head room etc. Like the one vaphead posted.
    Looks like a cool fun rod, built on a budget though...