Register now to get rid of these ads!

Transmission Guru's ~ 66 Ford Falcon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by solo_909, Mar 19, 2008.

1. solo_909

solo_909

So im about to swap out my 92 AOD trans and found a 66 Ford falcon C4 the question is is there a V6 and V8 model? Will this bolt up to my Mustang 302? Any differances with the splines? input - output shaft? Any info would be awesome thanks so much.

2. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

Is the Falcon a V-8 car? I think in '66 they may have gone to the big bellhousing anyhow. I think it should work. But why get rid of a 4 speed?

3. solo_909

solo_909

the seller isnt sure. Ill have to make an outline of my 302 and see if it matches. The Aod doesnt fit The pan is below the frame and the yoke sits way too high in the crossmember so I have to get rid of it.

4. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

The aod should fit fine man, plenty of people put AODs into Mercs.

5. solo_909

solo_909

you sure? The one I have does not even come close to fitting. Remember those pics I posted how the yoke sits super high in the cross member and how the pan is an inch below the frame rails?

Rob came out the other day to take a look at it and its just way to big. The motor mount kit I bought came with an attachment plate for the C4's so I take it those fit like a glove.

I hate to go through all this trouble and swap out this late in the game and I wish I could keep the 4sp with OD but I cant.

6. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

that trans should fit right in there george. if i can fit a 390 with a C6 without trimming the floor.... where is the clearance issue?

7. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Yes, I'm sure. You had some obvious mistakes going on last time, did you change what I told you to change? Dump that slip yoke you had with the huge balancer for one without a balancer and raise the engine up an inch or two? If you didn't, then no its not going to work any better. And I'm going to be pissed for spending time typing to help ya! ;)

8. solo_909

solo_909

I understand but I think the C transmission are different in shape. The c trans the tailshaft is at an agle doward then the yoke comes out towards the center of the trans where as the aod the taishaft and yoke are at the top. the trans itself fits good in the hump but the tailshaft and yoke sit way to high. The motor mount kit I have comes with the plate for the C4 so im guess it alot easier to go with that trans than what im using

IM going to move the motor up but havent taken off the yoke yet :( im going to do that today. But even so the clearance is going to be close. ill take some pictures when im done. TRust me I dont want to have to go through all this mess. But if I thought this trans would work id keep it.

9. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

So you havent moved the motor, and havent taken the yoke out?

Yeah no shit it dont fit. You started a thread about it not fitting awhile back, so yeah if you havent done anything that was told to you to fix it, it aint going to fit now.

Point blank, the AOD fits. It does. There is no C4/C6 angle down thing going on, a trans is a trans. You are going to put a C4 in and have the same fucked up angle you have now, but just went thru a TON of work to get the same result.

Nothing in this hobby is bolt in. And there is no "Christine". No car fixes itself.

Go reread the last thread about rewelding motor mounts, do the shit I told ya to do, dont be a lazy ass, get your freakin hands dirty, and get that pile on the road!!! ;)

10. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

Are you guys sure what you are talking about? Maybe he has a E4OD and thinks its a AOD. You all need to get on the same page.

11. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Could be, but doubtful. Those are truck trannies, and from what I remember pretty big. Doubtful that would come outta a 92 Bird.

12. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Unless your name is Rebel John...

Take it easy Chris, he's not your son, you don;t have to yell at him...

'66 was after they changed over to 6 bolt bells so if its a V8 car it will definitely fit your 302. Even if its a 6 pin take it anyway. C4's have a removable bellhousing and finding one to bolt up to a V8 motor is cake. When you get the trans, make sure to get the torque converter and flexplate. (I'm not sure if the flexplates are different between AOD and C4. The slip yoke should be the same spline but for the hell of it grab it as well.

For the record I think Chris and the rest are right about it being a fundamental location problem, but at least your question is answered.

13. Bitter Red

Bitter Red
    from Georgia

You'll need to make sure of the bolts on the bellhousing. In '66 they changed to 6 bolts opposed to 5. That's what I'm looking for! I have access to a C4, but it's got 6 bolts and I need 5. Let the hunt for the bellhousing begin!

14. George

George

'64 was the 5 bolt,'65 & up is 6 bolt. There are Mustangs that are VINed as 65s, refered to as 641/2s, made in '64 with the 5 bolt bells, those with 260s are all 5 bolt.

15. mikes51

mikes51

Another approach, lots of cars have some parts that hang below the frame. You build a skid plate to protect that part or put a caster next to it.

Also, it is better to hook your drive shaft to the correctly mounted (angle wise) rear end first. Then you can really see if your yoke is too high, there might be other things that hit besides the yoke.

16. I have a 57 ford, it was setup with and AOD,, I popped and swaped it for a c4 tranny, the rear tranny mount even matched up. UnIOnViLLEHauNT, I need that kick in the ass so I can get my ride on the road too, thanks!

17. mustangsix

mustangsix

I had an AOD in my 66 Mustang with no fit issues at all. Just a different crossmember to move the mount back and shorten the drive shaft 1". Easy.

C3-4-5-6, FMX, AOD, AODE......all of the output shafts are inline with the crank centerline. I'm not quite understanding the "angle" issue unless it's mounted funny.

One thing you might want to check is the trans mount itself. All the AOD ones are tall and push the trans too high. You need to use the C4 mount to drop the tailshaft down to where it needs to be in that chassis. Yeah, it is wider and lower than a C4, but not so much that it won't work in a Falcon.