Register now to get rid of these ads!

Street Gasser with Spindle FRONT wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CENTURION, Mar 19, 2008.

1. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

Hello:

Attached is a pic of a stunning Gasser 57 Chevy with American Racing
    spoke spindle mounted wheels with obviously ZERO front brakes.

This machine appears to be street legal judgeing by license plate.

Of major concern is actually more of a concern from the physics and safety aspect than the legal stand point is the following:

Can a man run no front brakes with all brakeing done from the rear end?

If so, how much stopping power would be compromised in the name of HAMB coolness of having spindle based straight axle?

I recall seceral years ago a rear disc brake system that contained a inner drum/shoe assembly within the rotor.

Please input.

Attached Files:

2. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

It's not so much an issue of braking force... you can apply as much braking for as you want to the rear.

Its just a question of where the car goes when you do...

3. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Just because it's tagged don't mean it's legal.

The front brakes do the majority of the stopping on a normal vehicle. such as a sedan. The car pictured is seriously compromised in that reguard.

Now take a fad T with skinny cycle tires. Even thought the weight is still going to transfer to the front the braking is going to be negligable because of the limitations of the tire. Even if they had brakes they are either going to lock up or if they have the bias set to the rear woudn't be much of a factor anyway.

Depends on the car, weight etc. as to the advisability.

All my oppinion of course.

4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

It's not a good idea.

5. Wowcars

Wowcars

Plowing into the ass end of a civic is never "Cool"

6. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

if u do it, ill sell ya the wheels!

my project turned directions

7. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Oh yea Baby that is the real deal

8. wvenfield

wvenfield

In WV I can run most anything as long as I put antique tags on it.

Legal? Nobody checks.

I wouldn't do it and run it on the streets.

9. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

I'm pretty sure the inner drum thing is a parking brake, I remember seeing it in Car Craft. If you have big slicks in the back, it will be harder to lock them up cause they are big and sticky, so that's a plus, but it also means the car is useless in even a heavy mist of rain, so that takes a lot of streetability away. They would be cool, no doubt, but only as long the car is running and driving instead of sitting in a pile at the bodyshop.

10. old kid

old kid
    Member Emeritus
    from middle ga

no front brakes on the street? you're just beggin for trouble.
    dan

11. Muttley

Muttley

This idea rules..........................as long as you dont plan on stopping.

12. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

That picture was taken in Riverside CA. The local Motorcycle cops are not fun guys. I suspect a whole bunch of fix-it tickets for no brakes, tinted windows, slicks etc.

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Just run a parachute

14. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

For a given size tire - the braking it can do is a factor of several things - ONE of those things is LOAD. This is why the front brakes can and DO the majority of the stopping - simple physics - the weight transfers to the front and allows the front to INCREASE it's effectiveness. Now take the front out of the equation - and run rears only -- do you eliminate weight transfer??? I don't think so - I think it gets reduced, but at the same time compare this to a front brake equipped car - the more effective front brakes are OPTIMIZED via a PROPORTIONING VALVE - this valve allows a varying INCREASE IN PRESSURE to the front as it becomes able to handle more of the braking duty. The rear brake only equipped car - LOOSES brake effectivity as weight transfer occurs - the exact OPPOSITE of what you'd want in a panic situation.

It's a BAD IDEA - no matter how you look at it.

BTW - I have an old gasser with the origional spindle mount wheels - I put brakes on them!!!!! The wheels STILL look cooler than shit!

15. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Those front tires with the little contact patch aren't going to do much anyway if it did have brakes, don't most of the drag racers actually reverse the percentage so the rear end with the big tires do most of the stopping?

16. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I ran my spindle mount skinny front tired coupe BOTH ways - with and without front brakes - trust me - they make a HUGE difference - even the "skinny" ones.

17. hotrawd

hotrawd
    from lima,ohio

I don't understand why anyone would do this if they want to mimic a '60's gasser.I ran an E/G car in the '60's and NHRA required 4 wheel brakes.

18. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

Radir wheel make a beautiful spoke wheel that can be used with a brake ,it is the right move.Don't be stupid.

19. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I AM NOT CONDONING THIS IN ANY WAY !!!

But Diesel Big Rig trucks well into the 1970s came stock with NO FRONT BRAKES !!

Figured id throw that one out for all the Air Bag guys who justify Air Ride cus big rigs run them :D

I see this as a potential disaster, but you also can take into consideration of How the car is driven & where.

I cant see it driven in the rain much, Or on the Highway ( if he was smart) at today speeds & the number of Ass wipe drivers who cut in & out of traffic as if they were the only people out there.

If its a track car & only goes a short distance (I dunno why, Id drive the wheels off that thing) maybe its O.k....

But front brakes is the main reason i didnt go with spindle mounts on my Straight Axle '54... American spokes look best without & the new spokes just look like Shit

20. Bigabone

Bigabone

My 56 was raced buy my buddy in the 60s with no front brakes. He said the car was light enough he didnt think he needed them but my other buddy that actually drove the car had a different opinion. He said that it would stop well about 40% of the time and the rest he had no idea. So when I found the car back that was one of the first things I did was put front brakes on the car. I would run them just my 2 cents.

21. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

I tried to run a T-Bucket with no front brakes once (pads on order)....I learned right away this was a no-no. The back end wanted to come around. I parked it til my pads came in. :cool:

22. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

I believe that '57 in the pic is an actual old race car survivor, and is owned by one of the Shifters...maybe Axle could fill us in on the details...

...and a side note, friend of mine has a chopped Model A sedan, healthy small block/4-speed, no-brake 18" spindle-mount's on the front, slicks on the back...
    ...he's never had a car like this before, and the "bad-ass" in him kept tellin' everyone he wasn't afraid to drive the car like that...until he was on the way home from a car show, it started misty raining, just enough to get the roads wet, and he slid thru a red light, sideways, smashed a curb, and put the car up on it's side, breaking one of the magnesium rear wheels!...with his wife in the car!

23. My car supposedly ran in the low 10's. I don't think it would be much fun to try to stop it, even with the chute. It does look neat though!

Attached Files:

24. And a HANS device, helmet, 5 point belt, and air bags. Then hope you never have to stop!:eek:

25. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

The problem w/ braking in the rear is that if your wheels lock, you go around.

In the front if you lock it you just push.

And when braking, weight transitions off the rear wheels and makes it even easier to lock. Panic stock w/o front brakes = facing the wrong way.

26. E.C.

E.C.
    from Tx

I like the HELL out of it. Its not for everybody and Hot Rods are not for everybody also. It could have disc brakes and a mustang II front suspension but then it would look like shit.

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

front brakes: good

no front brakes: bad

28. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

In the 60's I have ridden in T-buckets and an Anglia gasser on the street, both with no front brakes. Once, in the bucket, we slid right through an intersection with a red light and in the Anglia did the same. Another time in the bucket a car stopped suddenly in front of us and we skidded to a stop only after we hit the back of that car. No damage, but it was close.
    Not being a quick learner, I built a Harley with no front brake. For two years I thought it was cooler to look good that be safe.
    I have no idea how I lived through my "stupid years.
    We are born dumb. We learn to be smart to survive.
    Put on the ETs or another good looking wheel with some discs. It still looks great and you won't have people looking at you like you're an idiot.

29. I hope you're not thinking of putting front brakes on that car.

That car can be restored, and made to run low 10's in that configuration... with no problems. Just update the roll bar with another hoop that looks like that one... and RUN IT!

FWIW, you don't need front brakes on a low 10 second drag car let alone one that runs 8's even... just a chute, and rear disks on the 8 second ride... rear brakes only on something that runs up to 130-140 or so...

I've driven our altered 130 in the quarter... no front brakes, and it stops fine.

Now... on the street... I'd want front brakes on anything that weighs more than 1500 pounds... that '57 weighs TWICE that.

Sam.

[​IMG]

Here... go along for a ride!
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yC8OmisBikg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yC8OmisBikg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

30. The Shocker

The Shocker

There was a guy with an orange 55 at the Hamb drags last year running no front brakes ,and i believe he was laying down 12's if i remember right.He seemed to be able to stop fine.I suppose it could be done on a street car if your not a tail gater .Alot will depend on the driver .I have drivin shit cross country before that others wouldnt make it around the block in.I to dig the way real spindal mounts look on a Gasser...