Register now to get rid of these ads!

BenD taking some time off

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BenD, Mar 17, 2008.

1. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

Just a note folks, With the current inflated prices for diesel fuel I'm going to be staying much closer to home for awhile. I'm not saying I won't take on a few hauls if I can make a loop work out, but with only hauling single cars it's pretty tough to make a buck these days.

With that in mind, I'll be happy to bid the job or try to help out where I can. If I've already got you on the schedule, no worries, you'll be taken care of.

Thanks and hopefully things will change soon.

Ben

2. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

i hear ya man. i just bought a diesel 3 weeks ago. god damn 4.19 a gallon up here! and im leaving for flordia thursday, it will hurt.

3. 51Hg

51Hg

gas prices suck!!!!

It's a shame you can't make a buck because of it.

4. crap! was planning to use you for a transport in july...

5. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

If I've got some time to put a loop together I'll still entertain making some hauls. I just don't want you buying something under the assumption that I can bail you out.

6. Do you have other local jobs or are you going to be forced to spend some time in your shop?

7. I'm moving to austin end of july and trying to get my 56 chevy there...

8. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

I've got a couple build/sell projects lined up and a huge honey-do list. Trust me, I can stay busy. ;)

9. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

kansas isnt too bad on gas prices right now.. and i can imagine how bad they are in other places... time to break out the moped :D

10. Hollow Head

Hollow Head
    from Finland

Average price for 95 oct fuel today here in Finland is 1.415 euros / litre and for diesel it's 1.256 euros / litre! And remember that one euro is 1,5 dollars. So one gallon costs us about 5.377 euros and that is 8.616 dollars. Think about that and don't complain :eek:

11. This is why I need to get busy and finish my Honda chopper project.

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

So that means I won't be seeing you at the pre-war?

13. Stickanddice

Stickanddice
    from Boston, MA

Actually, there is a ridiculous amount of money to be made from it. :D

But yes it is a shame it hurts the bottom line if you are in a line of work that is heavily dependent on the stuff. :(

14. NoSurf

NoSurf

That's not the point. You are comparing apples to oranges. You probably have alot of taxes tacked onto your cost. Every time someone complains about gas prices, someone in Europe quips about how high their cost is per unit.

I think what is annoying to everyone is how gas prices have gone UP at our local pump over the last year. The problem is fuel cost is taking up a bigger percentage of each our personal budgets.

Soon I will be getting the infamous chain email letter telling me not to buy gas on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox....

15. HotRod_Joe

HotRod_Joe

I drive a one-ton with a 40' trailer for a living, and fuel costs are forcing my hours to get cut back. 1000 miles a week x 7 trucks x 8mpg avg. x $4.19/gal., you do the math! A guy I talk to on my route has a brother that works in Saudi Arabia. He says they pay $0.16/gal and get free oil changes! Like a Glenn Beck T-shirt I saw says, "Screw the caribou, drill Alaska!" :D

16. Abomination

Abomination

No shit, dude.

It's about f'n time for some vegetable oil.

~Jason

17. I usually don't complain about the fuel prices, but now it is getting a little extreme.

Let me ask you a few questions, How far do you live from work? How many miles/kilometers do you drive in a year? Do you use Public transportation?

My answers:

I live 40 miles from where I work. I work 6 days a week.

My daily driver I drove 38,000 mile last year, back and forth to work and the usual trips and daily errands.
    Another 8,000 miles in my truck for parts chasing and heavy work.
    Another 5,000 miles in my Coupe, but that doesn't count since that is purely pleasure.

I would use public transportation if it existed!

So that is what I am complaining about.

18. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

You know, I always hate it when these idiots start to compare "ours to theirs" when it comes to fuel prices. Especially when its a Freaking New Guy (FNG) on his second post.

Hey, FNG, how much do you pay for health insurance? I know many/most countries charge additional fees in the form of fuel taxes to supplement the state subsidized health care system. If that were the case here in the good ole' US of A, I'd happily pay the higher prices for fuel.

Instead, to cover my family with health insurance, it costs me in excess of $865 per month for a family of 4!

Lets do some elementary math (see, I'm a 6th grade math teacher), shall we?

My wife drives 9.5 miles one way to work. If she drives NOWHERE else, with an average of 20 days working per month, that equals 380 miles. That doesn't include the grocery store, doctor, or anywhere else we might need to go. Her vehicle gets 17 mpg, so her absolute minimum fuel consumption is about 22.5 gallons.

I drive 14.9 miles one way to work, and work approximately 20 days per month as well, which comes to a total of about 596 miles. Again, this is if I don't go anywhere else or do anything else except drive to an from work. My truck gets a whopping 11.7 miles per gallon on average, which equates to about 51 gallons of fuel consumed per month.

22.5 + 51 = 73.5 gallons

73.5 gallons x $3.06 (fuel price here as of today) = $224.90/month

Add in the $856 and the total comes to $1080.90

Take that $1080 and divide it by the number of gallons consumed and that total comes to $14.71 per gallon!

And since there are 3.79 liters in each gallon of fuel, lets divide that $14.71 by that 3.79 to figure out what that number costs, shall we?

$14.71 divided by 3.79 = $3.88 per liter! And your comparison used 95 octane fuel, and I'm using only the 87 octane version to compare with!

In a nutshell, think before you speak - or in this case - type. The last time I looked, $14.71 was MORE than $8.62!

Sorry for my rant. Mods, please feel free to kill this thread and stop me from ranting further.

19. plan9

plan9

i knew this was coming Ben... sad indeed :(

a freind told me gas prices in California will peak at about $5.00 /gallon by the end of summer, Diesel of course will increase along with it.

20. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

Rants are OVER, Just wanted to let everyone know what was going on.

Root, I'll see ya there.

21. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Exactly-- The USA is a BIG Country, and we are dependent on freeways & long distance trucking to get our goods more than most places in the world-- I'm not saying its right, but thats how it's been set up pretty much since the invention of the automobile.

When gas prices rise here, everything else goes up too... And the dollar isn't doing so swell.
    Folks stop driving/ spending money... And you know what happens next.

Good times!

22. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Hey BenD,

Hope things get better for you. I know its gotta be rough to carve out a living out there when your profit margin largely depends on the price of fuel.

On a related note, I went to a membership type presentation yesterday about a travel type resort where you can drag your RV to. These people showed me I am truly in the wrong business.

They have more or less sold lifetime memberships to this little piece of crap land in podunk Oklahoma for in excess of $8 million dollars! They collect another $504,000 in maintenance fees each year as well.

Sure got me to thinking.....

23. Bill.S

Bill.S
    from NW OH

The fuel prices 2 years ago helped me decide to retire and sell my truck, with diesel
    now over $4.00 some places I don't see how some are making a profit.
    Fuel surcharges only help so much and don't cover tires and other maintainence costs that have gone up with oil prices.

24. Stickanddice

Stickanddice
    from Boston, MA

Yeah, comparisons don't really mean much.

Hong Kong has $15-$20/gallon equivalent. But barely anyone drives in comparison, and driving 30 mins to go visit a friend or commuting 1hr or more to go to work on a car over long stretches is also unheard of.

I've added my fuel costs to compare to my buddy's in HK and I beat him handily. Granted it was only 3 months, but it seemed consistent enough. Doesn't help my stupid daily get 12 mpg on a good day.

25. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

I am fairly certain that my next fillup will be 4.00 a gallon. Was 3.7x yesterday.

I don't know how some of you guys are doing it w/ dd's in the 10 mpg range... I get 30 and I still pay over 300 a month in gas. That's just a lot of money that come strait out of the car budget.

26. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

You have an entirely different economic system. I don't get see how you can make an accurate comparison without knowing the tax rates, average pay wages and other cost of living and oh yeah besides that I don't give a shit what it cost in Finland :rolleyes:

27. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

28. Think of the up side, more time with Missy and the kids.

Besides, don't you have a Dodge to work on at home??

29. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

makes sense to me

30. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Hey Ben,

Funny you should post this. I am driving about 135 miles one way this week to pick up a car and was kind of figuring what it was going to cost. Made me think of how this was going to affect you.

On a positive not gas went down eight cents here today.

GV