Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for the paint guru's?.......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hip, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Hip

Hip

Is there an actual automotive color (one or two stage color), called eggplant? I don't really mean the new flip flop colors, but an actual purple with a green hue. I realize you can acomplish this by layering like maybe a lime green candy on deep purple, but id rather avoid that if i could get it in a single or two stage. If so what year and make/model did it come on. Thanks in advance. "Hip"

2. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

If you've got a good paint shop, find your color first-- on anything. Perhaps even use a computer tool and find it. Dig through the PPG books at the shop, or have the shop mix you up a match to your color. Get creative and mix it up-- thats how a lot of folks come up with their color-- working with a good shop and custom mixing it.

Good luck

-scott noteboom

3. jbradleyd

jbradleyd

Paint Color names dont mean anything you've got to have a year make and model or paint code like notebooms said dig through color books

4. Purple with a green hue? bizarre.....:eek:

Like already said by some wise fellows, it's better to start with a factory color you like.....but if you want to cocktail something---PPG's got a dry pearl, PRL 86 red/green pearl that you might use to get where you wanna be. This pearl has a sage green face with a reddish-brown/maroon flop(the bottle looks green dead-on with the edges fading into dark red) Weird, but ....
    Find a sympathetic paint store guy and a purple formula, substitute the PRL86 for whatever red pearl is in the purple formula, and BANG---custom color:cool:

5. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Earl's got it, I think the only way you'll find that color in a single or 2 stage would be to custom mix it. Find the purple to start with and mix in some greenish dry pears if you want to keep it 1 or 2 stage. The best way would be to layer on the green pearl as desired on top of the base color though. The clear over that. I highly doubt any auto manufacturer would be ballsy enough to make that as a factory color.

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cant recall if it's Ford or Chrysler, the color name is Dark Amethyst. It'll be a great start for the mix that schieb is suggesting. As long as you record the mix (most paint suppliers put it on the back of the outside label before taping it on) future repairs won't be an issue. Good luck.

7. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

my car is amythest pearl and is close to an eggplant- its a 1991 porsche color that is close- it was custom blended.

8. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

a few months back i repaired a fender on a , i think it was either a 92 or 94 tbird for a customer, and it was a wierd purple with a greenish pearl, almost like flip flop, check it out, it may be what your looking for?

9. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

are you thinking about that purple ford had on the probes and T Birds looked like a red pearl over the purple to me. try that its like a 97 color from ford.

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The color I'm suggesting is 2001-2005 maybe...very dark, like an eggplant w/out the green.

11. DrJ

DrJ

First year Plymouth Prowler's were all "eggplant".
    If you want a not-ripe eggplant look you might shoot a little green pearl over it, but it'll probably just turn a muddy brown.