Register now to get rid of these ads!

scam alert - Phoenix Remanufactured Transmissions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasel, Mar 14, 2008.

1. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

hopefully this isn't a repost, I did a couple searches to make sure.

so I'm going through rebuilding a 700r4; the internals and pump are pretty easy, I have no desire to get into the valvebody, drilling/reaming the bores and installing oversize valves and drilling things, so I hopped on the web to find a reman, performance valvebody.
    on ebay, there's a company called Phoenix Remanufactured Transmission / Phoenix Hard Parts, they had a pretty good feedback with a couple negatives but it seemed like they'd be okay to do business with. I placed an order online through their website, not through ebay; got an invoice and order number to print out.
    two weeks go by and no VB, so I called them to see what's up, secretary sent me to shipping, who sent me to billing, who told me I was supposed to call in to 'verify my order', to which I replied I never saw anything about that during checkout or on the invoice, oh well, so can I verify now?
    he says let me look into it and call you back. a few days go by, no call, so I called again and left a message, a week and a half and no reply, no VB.
    googled them and found all kinds of shady reports on both 'RipOff Report' and 'Pissed Consumer' about them sending out faulty supposedly tested performance transmissions; supposedly rebuilt and upgraded transmissions that turned out to have the stock broken parts in them, along with warranty replacement transmissions that were supposed to be a completely different case and were not. also a lot of stuff about cores sent in that never received credit.
    so after a month, no returned calls and no VB, I've contacted our credit card company to cancel the transaction.

went to Summit like I should have in the first place and got the TCI valvebody, for close to the same price included a TCI modified VB plate, larger check-balls, accumulator springs, .500" performance valve, corvette/HD servo and a bunch of other odds/ends. aside from awesome customer service, I really appreciate that their UPS ground happens to take 1 day to get here to the shop...I've ordered things early afternoon and had them the next morning, with regular ol' ground shipping.

Again, that's Phoenix Remanufactured Transmissions at www.phoenixhardparts.com. they've scammed me, along with several other people; if you're lucky you'll actually get something resembling what you've ordered; if the planets align it'll be a quality product and as advertised...

2. westcoaster

westcoaster
    from SoCal

good to know. i almost bought 4L80e from them last year. glad i didn't.

3. wvenfield

wvenfield

I did buy a manual transmission for an Explorer I had off them and I didn't have any problems. This was 7-8 years ago though.

Sold the Explorer just after that so I can't really say much about the quality. I do remember that I had to call them to get my core refunded but they did refund it.

4. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

Hm I have been using him for several years on my hot rods, race cars, 4x4s etc never a problem and very nice folks, this is in weatherford texas right? best overdrives i have ever found and i ran a transmission shopr for 11 years ............:cool:

5. Larry T

Larry T

I think the "bad" one is in Phoenix, Az. I'm sure thinking about using Phoenix/Weatherford, Tx. for a couple of builds I'm doing now. Heard good things about them.
    Larry T

6. I'm having issues both with my C4 and my 4L60E and had notice their good prices. I hope your instance was not the norm.

7. Lil' Toot

Lil' Toot
    from Tulsa, OK

Never used either company, but to clarify and avoid an unwarranted bad rap, the shop Greasel is speaking of is Phoenix Rebuilt Transmissions of Phoenix, AZ. The company I'm sure we've all seen advertised in the rod magazines is Phoenix Transmission Parts of Weatherford, TX. They're the ones with the cool Lance "Jersey Suede" Sorchik's artwork in they're ad. Like I said, never used either one, just saw a point of confussion I'd clarify.

Phoenix Transmission Parts of Weatherford, Tx can be found at:
    http://www.phoenixtrans.com/

8. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

Yes, that's correct, just to reiterate... the place I had trouble with and found all this stuff about goes as:
    'Phoenix Rebuilt Transmissions'
    'Phoenix Remanufactured Transmissions'
    'Phoenix Hard Parts' (www.phoenixhardparts.com)
    and they're definitely out of Phoenix, AZ.

*NOT* the Phoenix Transmissions from TX.

9. piston8

piston8

The company got sold (so i heard). apparently the new owner is a shady POS. not sure if this is a rumor or not. anyways, i love these threads so we can weed out the dishonest assholes who ruin this industry for the rest of us. I have been fistfucked by an "ebay store" more than once. now i just save my dimes and go with someone i know i can trust.

10. swimeasy

swimeasy

I am going to call them tonight and let them know that they are messin with the wrong people! (don't worry, no names or mention of the HAMB). A few of the right kind of calls will get the jerks ta thinkin!!

11. tomcat46

tomcat46

I stumbled on this message while looking for powerglide parts the other day. Kindof scared me away. This is on the phoenix texas website:
    http://www.phoenixtrans.com/

"BUYER BEWARE" There are some companies out there with names very similar to ours, selling all kinds of transmissions and parts on the internet. We know this because we get lots of calls from their unhappy customers who have purchased transmissions from them believing they were getting a "bargain" on a "Phoenix" transmission.
    We DO NOT sell transmissions on E-Bay, or through any other auction site. All of our transmissions are built to order and sold either direct from our factory in Weatherford Texas, or through our authorized distributors. There is only one Phoenix Transmission Products, the same company that has been providing the highest quality custom built performance transmissions and converters for over 25 years.
    Feel free to browse around this site. If you have comments or questions about our products or services, or simply need more information and want to contact us, click on the contact button on any page within this site.

Thanks for visiting and we look forward to serving you[SIZE=-1].[/SIZE]

12. Ramblur

Ramblur

I bought an Ebay trans from them about 4 yrs. ago. Smooth deal,
    way cheap price,and after 4 yrs of my youngest whoopin on it,it still
    survives. Guess we got lucky,but thanks for the heads up. Thats all
    I need to hear to not take another chance with them.
    Ford 4r55E Iirc. Not that it matters though.

13. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

:D I'm interested to hear if/what they reply to that!
    I've got an earful for 'em too and I'm sure I haven't had my last conversation with them on the phone yet, I'm sure they'll call me back when they realize the card company pulled the money on them...as far as I know, that goes very poorly for a business when the card company goes after them. unfortunately it's only around $300 so I don't think they'll be super motivated about it.

Bad thing about guys like that is they're never going to go away until they can't make any more money...and at that point they'll just regroup and relocate. pisses me right off when I know young kids whose' daddy got blown to pieces fighting to give us the opportunity to safely pursue capitalism and our own citizens turn around and scam each other...now that's damned treason in my book!

It always sucks to be the guy to post the scam alert but if it saves someone else on here some hassle and money it's more than worth it, IMO!

14. fuzzface

fuzzface

Another internet transmission website to stay away from is the one that shows a hot girl in a black and white checkered very short dress . She's in every pictures of the different transmissions they supposedly carried. Sorry I don't remember their name, It's on my old computer. They didn't have an address on the website but did have a telephone # and were very convincing when I called looking for my missing parts. Another red flag to this site is they only accept E-checks. I know better now. I knew I was in trouble when they claimed to sent my parts for a second time and wouldn't give me a tracking #. Found out about two months later that a buddy of mine got burnt at the same website. I believe this is the only time I got taken on line where I didn't recieve anything at all, knock on wood. Plenty of time I spent more then I should have on something on line but that's a different story.

15. I have bought about 20 transmissions over the last 5 years. Other then one time them telling me they had one ready when it wasn't, I haven't had any issues. Never had one have to go back either.

16. Might really want to rethink about making statements like that on an open forum. Any loss of business (heard HAMB is 40k members deep now) can be recouped in court from you. Do what you want but,,,,, the difference between "these guys are theives" and "In my oppinion, these guys do not,,,,,,," could cost you money. :cool:

17. lolife

lolife

"Might really want to rethink about making statements like that on an open forum."

If you send them money, and they don't deliver anything, and no refund, I think you can find a number of judges that refer to them as "thieves."

Let the lawyers handle the legal arguments...

18. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I'll put in a good word for Pheonix Transmissions in Weatherford. I found them a great bunch to do business with and very helpfull in making sure I got the right trans for my application.

I had a problem with one I got from them not shifting into overdrive. They told me just what to do to get it freed up. They told me how to adjust the TV cable to increase the pressure for a while and to 'drive the hell out of it, your not gonna hurt it'. Once the valve freed up, it hasnt missed a lick since.

I'd do business with them anytime. There are a lot of companies out there that come up with similar names so they can ride on the backs of anothers good reputation. It's sad that in the process they cause the good guys to catch some flack.

19. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

yeah, common sense says they've stolen from me and countless others, they're going to continue doing so...but you're right, I could see it being pretty easy to get sued over something stupid like that; after all, the crooks are often pretty good at winning frivolous lawsuits.

20. patman

patman

Ya, what he said. Greg Ducato (Phoenix Transmissions in TX) is great to work with, and really wants to make sure you get what you need for your application. He took time to understand my needs before recommending a product, and it was delivered exactly as promised. No fuss, no muss.

I think the other place in AZ seems to be trying to cash in on Greg's good name, which is too bad.

21. If they file a suit (as I had this happen to me once) it will still cost him money to defend a lawsuit, doesn't matter if he is right or wrong. Great advice there.

22. davodavo

davodavo

I cannot say enough bad things about Phoenix Hardparts aka Silverado Transmissions aka Phoenix Remanufactured Transmissions. In my opinion, lousy product (remanufactured transmissions), appalling customer service, dishonest.

I regret ever having done business with them.

Specific issues -- use google to find wide confirmation of these patterns over years!

- I bought their deluxe extended warranty

- They promised transmission in 7-10 days.

- They couldn't find transmission to ship it on time

- They later claimed that the transmission was in dyno-test

- They later claimed that they had to re-rebuild the tranny

- Eventually they shipped a defective transmission, plus it wasn't even the right kind for my car.

- Their delay cost me an extra $400 in car rental fees.

- They authorized warranty repair of the transmission to make it work in my car.

Finally, the tranny is in the car after a month. Whoops: their transmission didn't work much better than the old one...rough shifting, constant whirring noise. But it also seemed like they didn't know how to do any better. I can live with it, long enough to sell the car (wasn't my plan, but is now...)

I tried to ship old transmission back to them for my $750 core exchange

- they "couldn't find" a shipping authorization form for a week. it didn't seem like they wanted me to ship it back

- finally, they let me ship it back

- they didn't respond to dozens of phone calls and emails

- they initially denied having received the core

- I filed a protest with my credit card dispute organization

- They gave the credit card company lots of misleading and erroneous info, confusing / delaying the process.

- eventually they admitted to having received the transmission months earlier, but whoops, it couldn't be rebuilt (so sorry, no refund!)

The transmission I sent them was nearly as functional as the one they sent me after rebuilding. All forward gears had been running properly, smooth shifting, no noise, no slippage. Their claim was that the "overdrive set" was destroyed so the tranny couldn't be rebuilt. In fact, the overdrive set and everything else they claimed was un-rebuildable were fully functional. My mechanic wrote a letter attesting to this.

They never paid the transmission core exchange fee. time ran out with the credit card dispute.

They also refused to pay the warranty coverage for the work they had authorized. Note that they would only have covered $260 out of a $750 charge, and this is on their premium warranty.

Bottom line, this "$1200" transmission ended up costing me over $3500 in direct and consequential damages, all for a tranny that now doesn't shift properly and makes noise.

I'm sorry I ever thought of doing business with this company.

23. butch27

butch27

24. gvax

gvax
    from Chile

========00=========
    The Nightmare with Phoenix Hard Parts, Phoenix Remanufactured Transmissions (PRT) [Frank C. Kuperman ]

I’m in Chile, Santiago. I paid through PayPal US$ 2.765 for an Automatic Transmission (AT) for my BMW 540i (1395 for the AT + 750 core + 620 shipping) After ONE moth finally I received the AT in Chile. Then, BMW dealer installed the AT, with more than US$ 1000 in labor, fluid, etc. Here we started with the Nightmare : THE AT doesn’t WORK (reverse doesn’t work )
    I call to PRT, and they said that is VERY strange since they full tested the AT(false!!), but I need to send back to USA the AT (via airmail and I NEED TO PAY by myself the shipment) in order to apply the guarantee.!! Here appears the first warning: so they will repair the same defective AT
    They said that NO, they already have a new one ready to me (false!), but they only were waiting for the previous one JUST to check was happened FALSE!!. After 2 moths of waiting here in Chile, they send again the SAME AT (so, here is the first stole).
    What happen now: OK, Take this new AT (that was the same) from UPS Chile, spend again more that US$ 700 dollars in customs fees, go again to the BMW dealer, mount the new AT and what is the result now?? INCREDIBLE: AGAIN the AT doesn’t work!!!
    What was the problem now: the car doesn’t change any gears. (Before was the reverse, so worst)

I’m in Chile and I trusted in a USA company paying a lot of money for a rebuild AT for my BMW 540i. After that, I pay: US$ 600 to send back their own defective AT. Also, I pay 2 weeks ago other US$ 500 in customs fees to enter in Chile the new AT (that also resulted defective). Also I spend more than US$ 1200 in labor and fluid in the BMW dealer to mount and dismount their defective AT.

Therefore, IS ENOUGH!! I REQUEST full refund including AND ALL COSTS, since after TWO times that I received the AT it doesn’t work. (and more than 4 months with this history IS ENOUGH !!)

However, Phoenix Hard Parts DON’T want to refund the money and insist to give them computer codes so they could “guide me!!” to solve the problem!!!! Incredible: How a company like this COULD EXIST IN USA.

Please, all the people in the same situation contact : Consumer Information and Complaints,
    http://www.azag.gov/ Also, I encourage to joint all the victims of this company in this site: http://www.phoenixhardparts.net/ The only way to face this fraud is in a group!
    Also check : Ripoffreport.com : More than 50 similar frauds
    http://www.ripoffreport.com/searchR...&q5=&q6=&q7=&searchtype=0&submit2=Search!&r=1

25. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

sorry to hear about more trouble with these douchebags. thanks for the link to the AZ state site, didn't really think about going there. if any of you guys on here have had bad experiences with these guys, PLEASE take the time to report it to the state of AZ. if they hear about it enough times, they'll HAVE to do something about it.

by the way, gvax, did you pay with a credit card? if so, you can turn it into them and let them know it's a problem. it'll take a while but they'll go after PRT eventually and you should be able to get most of your money back.

26. Just the fact that these turkeys have a $750 core charge is a red flag to me. I can buy transmissions out of the you-pull-it yard ALL DAY LONG for $85 with a $35 core charge - and a 30 day warranty at that. Unless it's a transmission for a car less than 5 years old I don't see how you can justify that kind of money. Is that the going rate for a core for these type of rebuilders?

27. hambonez

hambonez
    from Cali

Hey guys,
    The unethical owner of this Phoenix Retrans in Arizona (Frank C. Kuperman) has closed his doors under that name and has reopened them under the new name of AlpineTransSupply. His business name is Alpine Transmission Supply LLC, also affiliated with Silverado Industries and Red Line Torgue Converters. He rips off a lot of people on EBAY as well. Frank C. Kuperman likes to use names that are similar to names of reputable tranny suppliers.- For example, the reputable company that Frank can only dream of emulating, Alpine Transmission Supply, is located in Basalt, Colorado! NOT Arizona. Make sure that when buying a tranny online, look in the contact info for their phone #, if the area code is "623", STAY AWAY! Believe me! You'll be sorry you did business with this character Frank C. Kuperman. He took me for thousands of $$$.

28. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

hey thanks a lot for the update hambonez. like a lot of people, I didn't know about these guys until it was too late, fortunately we only bought a valve body with a credit card, disputed the charge and didn't have a problem after that. can't believe the state of AZ allows this to go on!

29. hambonez

hambonez
    from Cali

Gentlemen,
    Update on PhoenixReTrans aka, Alpine Transmission Supply-ATS and that Frank Kuperman character.

The Arizona Attorney Generals office called me and said that they are putting the screws to this clown. Evidently, this punk's old man with the same name had to be reigned-in 20 years ago for operating the same kind of scam. Good news for all of us gear-heads out there, even you guys that got ticked about me posting this here. I'm sorry if you were put out by it, but I'm not sorry for warning the few of you who care about doing business with ethical people.

Be safe.