Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Stock-S/S-F/X 1959-1966

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Race Artist, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Judd

Judd

Joel
    Did you ever find that shot the Paul Vanderly raced Robertson Lincoln Mercury? A friend of mine is in the middle of a 64 A/FX clone and lives about 10 miles from the Vanderly engine shop. I'd love to print it out and take it to him.

Attached Files:

2. From what I understand, that is true. Lindamood had the doors from the original car stashed, then when the Ronzello's (sp?) recreated it, they had the doors computer scanned then redone to be as perfect as possible, and that was in the early ninties! I can only imagine what that would have cost!

I only as because supposedly the "Suspect" was a Detroit area car, one of the original lightweights. Being a local boy, I'd like to know some history on it.

As always, the rest of the pics are spectacular! I heart this thread.;)

Jay

3. Race Artist

Race Artist

Love the shots Dean ... think they're from Pomona in '65 though. That's a rare color shot of Herb McCandless' '65 Plymouth!

Joel

4. Race Artist

Race Artist

The white Pontiac behind McCandless Mr. 4-Speed is Jesse Tyree in a lightweight '62 Pontiac A/S.

Joel

5. Race Artist

Race Artist

At the beginning of '64 before the hemis came out Lindamood ran a wedge in a '64 sedan car ... not sure if it was the same car as the later hemi version or if there were two CMG cars.
    Joel

6. Race Artist

Race Artist

First of two that I have on the Vanderly-Robinson Comet. Both are not the best quality. First up is from friend Sol Stewart ... an ad or flyer for a match race 1964. I'd like to see/get copies of any pictures Vanderly might have ... ?

Joel

Attached Files:

7. Race Artist

Race Artist

The second one on the Vanderly-Robinson Comet. I have no idea who's Plymouth that is. Biloxie Dragway 1964. My apologies for the poor quality.

Joel

Attached Files:

8. Race Artist

Race Artist

Not my shot ... from George Cureton(Yoo Hoo Too) in my files. Cecil Co, MD ... could be 1964-5. The question often comes up about the existance of this car. Some say it is still alive, others not.

Joel

Attached Files:

9. Race Artist

Race Artist

I loved that Big Red! That car was GREAT to watch run. I have a couple of the car but it'll take some time.

Joel

10. Race Artist

Race Artist

My friend Bobby Watson and his 1963 Swiss Cheese Pontaic ready for the NASCAR Speedweeks drags in FL. I belive it was in Spruce Creek at the time just outside of Daytona. Bobby was out of Phenix City, AL and from Miller Pontiac in Columbus, GA just across the river. Miller also sponsored Jack Smith on the NASCAR GN circuit at the time. Smith was one of the NASCAR names at the time. Note the holes in the frame can be seen behind the rea tires.
    Bobby is a top shelf guy.
    Joel

Attached Files:

11. Race Artist

Race Artist

Here's the '64 Big Red at the NHRA nationals in '64. Not my picture, my apologies to the original photog.

Joel

Attached Files:

12. dynosam

dynosam

AWESOME THREAD!!!!This is my favorite era and type of cars in drag racing. This was my last 60's dodge. It had a alky inj 440. Fiberglass front end and bumper. Ran a not so straight 11.20's at 126. Ted Detar's son Steve has a website showing the "Kansas Badman" hemi powered falcon. I wil post a link to it , I have to look it up.

Attached Files:

13. dynosam

dynosam

14. That definitly looks like Pomona, '65 Winter Nats. Beeline is in the middle of the AZ. dessert. Great photos!! I like Brannan's Mustang, pre-Goldfinger.:D

15. Joel,
    I heard the Northwind became a dirt track car. Have you ever heard that story?

16. Judd

Judd

Joel
    Thanks!!!! These will be insperation for Johns clone. I'll try to see if Vanderly's son can get photos. He stays busy and doesn't know me from Adam. Seems like a nice guy though so maybe?

17. Mark I

Mark I

Joel,

Thanks for the heads up - I'm in!

Mark

18. storm king

storm king

race artist, that's not Flynn's AWB car, that his hemi '65 super stock which he had before the AWB cars came out. The "Yankee Peddler" was the only sedan 'factory' AWB car done, all the rest were hardtops, equipped with sedan doors.
    Dino, who owned 'Northwind'? I saw it a bunch at Dover, and Skip North comes to mind, but I think he had a Jr. dragster and was from FTA; if memory serves.

19. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

Troublemaker I have heard the same thing from an uncle of mine. Supposedley he knows the guy that last owned it. Heard he blew the engine at the track and the scraped the car afterwards.

Race artist thanks for the picture never seen that one before.

20. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

It was built and driven by team members Joe Gardner, Arnie Waldman and Joe tyson with the engine built by Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins. Not sure who actually had ownership though.

21. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

STORMY...Skip North Ran the "Soul Sauce C/D ...Northwind ? give me a day or two to go threw all these photos and I'll post a bunch.

22. storm king

storm king

Not to get into a raging dispute over things none of us were present for, but I read an article by Dick Landy a year or two ago. Acording to him, he was responsible for doing all of the acid dipping of the AWB cars. This was done in California. When the first of them started hitting the track they were found to be defficient in strength, and, at the ned of the program it was decided to do a sedan. He said the only sedan done was Flynn's, which would make me think that it would have been a differnent car than Bill's super stocker, since he was running that one right along as a legal super stocker.
    Did Branster do all of the AWB conversons for Chrysler, or did Amblewagon do them?

23. Ted Kempgens

Ted Kempgens
    from Florida

Had these two in the shop last year, Repaint on the T-Bolt, Touch up work on the Hemi. One of my customers bought and sold the Phil Bonner light weight you were asking about its in Ill. He also bought ED Lavenders Long nose cammer Mustang and a R Fairlane and matching R equipted Ranchero. Great thread. Ted

Attached Files:

24. Race Artist

Race Artist

Hadn't heard that one Jody. I heard stories that Ronnie Evans (Wildfire 409 Impala) had the car but then heard that he didn't. None of it was confirmed as far as I know.
    The Northwind wasn't always setup as it was in the photo I posted. In it's earlier years it sat lower and was set up much as others were then ('62-3) I believe in 64 it was had the complete Jenkins-Stahl type Jr. Stock treatment (frame off maybe?) and became the car that was featured in one of the first issues of SS&DI.

Joel

25. Race Artist

Race Artist

No raging dispute ... discussion. Discussion and comparing information helps get the story/history as correct as possible and leads to new information for all. I love this stuff. All I've heard over the years since '65 was that the Flynn AWB car was his S/SA car converted by Dick Branster in his shop in MI. It may have been dipped in CA under Landy's supervision, hadn't heard that story.
    I could be wrong but I believe the Special Formula '65 was the ex-Peddler AWB car. Cardillo ran the ex-Eckstrand/Lawman 1964 S/SA in '65. I don't recall him having a '65 A990 car.
    The first batch were done by Amblewagon ... the Mule car I don't know. I don't know who converted the Ramchargers car after the AHRA-NHRA Winternationals but I'm sure Branster and Lindamood did the AWB conversion on the CMG car.

Joel

26. Race Artist

Race Artist

A poor quality scan from a xerox, my apologies ... of the Big Red A990 Plymouth running as a match racer and NASCAR U/S. Their home track was Richmond. I'll post some color on it soon.

Joel

Attached Files:

27. Race Artist

Race Artist

Another scan of a copy from a magazine ... an issue of Hot Rod either '62 or early '63 issue. Harold Ramsey in his lightweight '62 Pontiac vs Dave Strickler in Old Reliable 2. Strickler won.

Joel

Attached Files:

28. Race Artist

Race Artist

I have a few racing paper bits from Fairburn, GA but they're from 1962. Nothing from the 1970's. I'll post them soon.

Joel

29. Race Artist

Race Artist

Here's a shot of the Buzzard 2 that Bob sent for me to post to the group. Though brown here the car originally was a bronze-like color originally. I imagine this is late '62 or maybe '63. This car was a street-strip car and did alot of winning in both arenas.

Thanks Bob.

Joel

Attached Files:

30. That must explain why they needed a lightweight to do the "recreation" of the CMG car... it was converted to an AWB!

IDK why, but, after all these years, the Mopar Action article about the CMG from the early 90's has stayed with me... that's where I saw the blurb about the "Suspect" being the "donor" for the "new" CMG. Someday I'll dig out the magazine from the basement... hopefully this thread won't be dead.;)
    I love this stuff. Viva la HAMB!

jay