Register now to get rid of these ads!

Accident at March Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot rod wille, Mar 8, 2008.

1. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

Just saw on the Bakersfield news that T/F driver John Shoemaker died in an accident in qualifing at the March Meet--ran off the end of the track? Any more info?

2. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Looked on net, didn't see anything about it, hope it's not true.

3. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

4. Hip

Hip

Just talked to "Scott" , and he confirmed That he saw it , and it is true. What a shame, and prayers go out to the family.:(

5. sho1off

sho1off
    from Buffalo MN

his throttle stuck, he went off the end of the track
    Here is an update on &#8216;John Schumacher&#8217; (Per Jim Murphy) [not Tony &#8211; I apologize for the wrong information]. He did not survive the crash. We did not know him not do we know anything about his family except that they certainly need prayers during this difficult time! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

6. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Bad news indeed, thoughts and prayers to the Shoemaker family. R.I.P. John

7. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

wow prayers go out to the family......

8. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Damn...sad news indeed....RIP

9. PoopStain06

PoopStain06
    BANNED
    from SoCal

R.I.P. old man...

10. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

First and foremost prayers out to family and friends.

Anyone who has ever strapped into a race car knows there are risks that go with racing. It gets underplayed sometimes, I know I have been lucky a few times in my 59 years.

We lost a couple of ledgends in Boyd and Lil John in the past week to illness and it is sad to see a loved one suffer and waste away. It makes me think that someone who goes out, doing what they love, flat out, living life right up to the end may be the lucky one.

Gods Speed and R.I.P.
    GV

11. Terrible news..

RIP John

12. I'll confirm the news.

I just got back from the track. My buddy Steve Glucoft from AMOCAT (ironbuyer here on the HAMB) is partners in the car, and is on the pit crew. I made my way over to the pit after the accident.

John ran a 6.11 at 247 on the run and beat the other car he was up against, but the safety safari said he was slumped over at the wheel at the 1,000 foot mark. the car ran straight and true. Unfortunately John was out of it by the end of the track and never lifted. never pulled the chute.

RIP John.

13. sanmartin72

sanmartin72

They airlifted him out and we thought he was hurt really bad We were at the between the last stand and the swapmeet and the throttle was pegged!

My condolences to the family and friends,

and everyone else that is running

keep safe

Martin

14. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Man I do not like hearing about any accidents.....but to be killed is aweful.....prayers go out to his family.

15. RIP. See ya at the Top End.

16. Bel Air Sugar

Bel Air Sugar

Thats Horrible. My love and condolences to his family.

17. Oh Man!!! So it wasn't a mechanical issue?

18. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Sorry to hear this. Prayers to all involved.

19. bigken

bigken

WOW - that is awefull. His family is in my prayers and thoughts. "Slumped over the wheel at the 1000 ft. mark." He might not have felt a thing.
    WOW...................

20. RatBone

RatBone

ya Willie me and Sam were there and excited to see him run and we saw him just keep flying at the end, we thought the chute malfunctioned. I had just told Sam how sad it was that we lost Roy Moore there and then this happens. Sad day.

21. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Sad indeed. I never saw his chute open and knew something was wrong then a huge cloud of dust came up. Found out he passed just as I was leaving the track. Prayers to his family. He went out doing what he loved. I hope I'm that lucky. -stick

22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My thoughts and prayers go out to John's family and loved ones. BUT, when I go, l Hope it's the same way, doing something I lived and loved rather than a long, drawn out, debilitating illness that tortures everybody, you and those who love you, for months on end. And believe me, at the age of 70 now, thoughts of mortality do cross your mind, and you hope for the same type of exit from this world.
    I've had friends and loved ones go both ways, and believe me, John got the best deal.
    Dave

23. Scott

Scott

Just got home. Didn't know what happened at the time, just that he accelerated through the finish line. no chute. Condolences to his family, friends and fellow racers. These guys risk their necks and put on a great show. I'll lift a beer for him right now..

24. tmacracin

tmacracin

RIP John

He was one of the best blown alcohol racers and chassis builders around!

Attached Files:

25. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

RIP that`s the best way to die I can think of !
    launch in this world pass thru the pearly gates half track.

26. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Damn, that sounds sad, but if he did pass out before he crossed the finish line, that is an unbelievable way to go - and to win the race too - unreal. Going flat out, a winner till the very end. I never knew him, but feel sorry for his family and their loss - condolences.

27. racer756

racer756

RIP- John was always a class act and a fun guy. His American Eagle dragsters were always first class. May his family find comfort in knowing he died while doing what he loved. He will be missed.

28. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Slumped over the wheel, didn't pull chute?

Sounds like he had a heart attack and it took him down. Then the crash took him out.

Sad day indeed. Nothing worse then an accident doing something you love...............but what a hell of a way to go. I'd rather die doing something I loved, then suffer with cancer for years.

Godspeed.

29. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

this is a sad day for us as we are fellow racers on the 1/4 mile circuit and to hear this is just gut wrenching,,,,

our thoughts and prayer go out to the family and friends

30. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I just got home from the track.
    Tragic way to end what was starting out as a wonderful day at the races.