Register now to get rid of these ads!

EZ Wiring guys...Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drag'n 59, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Drag'n 59

Drag'n 59
    from DALLAS, TX

I am having a hell of a time getting all of my lights to work right. I have blinkers, hazards, headlights, taillights and stop all work fine. I can not get the park lights to come on. I am using a universal switch, with the 5 prong setup. Everything on the switch appears to be setup right, but I just can't get the parks to come on even when the switch is pulled all the way out to where the headlights come one, the parks still won't work. I have tried all combinations of running wires from one side to the other trying to get the parks hot, but then everything comes on...Anyone else run into this problem? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. sliderule67

sliderule67
    from Houston

I don't think the parks are supposed to be on when the headlights are lit. Have you tested the switch connection with nothing connected to see if it's hot when the switch is pulled out to park? That will divide your problem into either the switch or the wiring. Also check the fuse for that circuit; it may be separate. I think turns and parks require a two element bulb and two wires plus ground in the bulb socket. Telling you a bit more than I know.....Luck...... slide

3. Drag'n 59

Drag'n 59
    from DALLAS, TX

I said the parks don't work "even when the switch is pulled all the way out." When I pull the switch out for park lights, nothing will come on. I have all the wires in the correct location on the switch, and I have tried two switches. All the blinkers work and flashers...

4. Drag'n 59

Drag'n 59
    from DALLAS, TX

I just got what you're trying to say... No, the park lights should all come on when the headlights are on. One pull just the parks, second pull everything should come on.

5. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

Drag59, If you'r using a universal switch the park lights and tail lights only work in the first position,the head lights and tail lights will work in the second position. Have you grounded the lights? The housing needs to be grounded to complete the circut. Question; are your front park lights two filiment for park and turn?

6. cmoritz

cmoritz

See if you have 12v at the swx terminal with the swx with the swxknob pulled out 1 position...12v?
    Go to the lamp assy..12v?
    Check ground.
    You do have a bulb in the socket ? ..I know .dumb question but had to ask.Sounds like a swx connection/pin position discrepancy,determination.Good Luck!

7. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

the cars that I have wired 1st position of head light switch = parking and tail lights. second position of switch = head lights and tail lights I have wired a car to have parking lights on with headlights but it is not the norm as far as I know. Do you have double filament bulbs on the front parking lights?

8. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

check continuity on the switch - Bad switch? is there a junction/plug between the switch and the lights?

9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Are you telling me (according to quote above) that the tailights don't work in the first position?:confused:

Sounds as if your switch is wired incorrectly, :D

You should have :
    Battery terminal
    Park light
    Instrument cluster
    Tailights
    Headlights

Could you have the battery hooked to the headlight terminal and headlight to the battery terminal. This would allow the tailights to work in the second position, along with the headlights. If you think about this, battery current will go through the headlight terminal to the battery terminal when in position 2. It will also connect to the tailight terminal since the battery terminal now has 12V on it. But when you go to the position 1 there will be no 12V at the battery terminal, therefore nothing. :mad:

Trace your wiring, you will probably find out that it is backwards.:cool: