Register now to get rid of these ads!

292 chevy 6 just whos running em?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eddiesixem, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

Just curious.....ive heard a few things about chevy 292s and was just wanting some feedback....any one running one?....i know its a chevy so rebuilding and parts shouldnt be too bad....but im thinking of picking one up for a swap with my old straight 8 when it decides to give out....

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

If it's going into the Pontiac, should work great. Friend of a friend has a '49 4 door running a 250 (in Mexico!) every day for 100,000 + miles.
    Many 292 truck internals (pistons, cam, etc.) should be changed for decent performance.

3. Foul

Foul

got one in my daily driver 87 GMC 1-ton. It's as reliable as a best friend - I haven't touched it since I bought the truck about two years ago. Can lug it down real low, but it hates hates rpm. I figure I never go past 3000 rpm with it.
    dan

4. I've got one in the Hup (my daily). Runs like a scalded dog. 16mpg around town, 20-22 hwy. No problem towing a large boat or full size car/trailer combo. Propane head, Clifford intake, Holley 390 and Stovebolt headers.

5. stan292

stan292

Eddie -

Get yourself a copy of the book: "Chevrolet Inline Six Power Manual" by Leo Santucci. Its the 292 Chevy "bible" and will tell you everything you want/need to know about a great inline motor. Its available at Amazon.com for about $15.

I had one in a '37 Chevy gasser back in the day, and am putting one in the roadster pickup I'm building now. All the 250 C.I. speed parts fit, and the motor bolts up directly to all the Chevy V-8 bellhousings, trannies, etc. Plenty of cams, etc. available from the aftermarket.

I've been able to find them locally in the $150-200 range, so they're not out-of-sight pricewise. Stovebolt.com (a website for old Chevy trucks) is a good place to look for engines and parts.

Good luck. You won't be disappointed.

6. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Building one as we speak..............It'll be my first, got the book and much needed help from Tom Langdon. Tom contributed to the book and owns a speed shop for inliners.:)

7. nexxussian

nexxussian

X2 on Leo's book

You could check Inliners.org for more info, and parts.

8. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

excellent info guys....i love the inline motors...im curently running a hopped up 235 in my other ride and love the look and sound under the hood.....i had a guy tell me he had 4 of em...all out of running trucks(old dumptrucks and water trucks etc.) his wants like 500 a piece....but i was thinking...i have a late model 350 i might trade him since i have no interest in the motor....the reason hes getting rid of the 292s is he wants to swap them for v8s....so it might work out...thanks....any more info please share......

9. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

I've had a few 292's....One of them was in a 5 ton box truck, and I ran it many times loaded to the max through the Rockies....I think they are the greatest....torque to the moon....not real cheap on gas....I'd get another one just to have around to use in a project some day.....look up Langdon Stovebolt website....and call him up...he knows everything about them....I'm pretty sure he worked on designing that engine for GM....he's real good at taking the time to talk to ya.....

10. Picked up a running used 292 out of a farm truck last year for $200. With a couple of minor part swaps off my dead 230, it pretty much dropped right into my 63 Biscayne. I converted it to HEI and put an Offy 4bbl intake on it. I've got a lump port head that'll go on before spring. Great motor, all the way around.

If I were building one, I'd look at 307 Chevy V8 pistons to bump the compression, a lumpy cam, and Langdon's split cast exhaust manifold.

Ditto on the inliners site...great info there.

My $.02, free of charge.

11. Twisted6

Twisted6

the 283 & 307 pistons will come up short in the bores. The 292 pistons are taller then any of the Low deck motors (194,230,250s)

12. bobw

bobw

Twisted 6,
    What brand of forged pistons and auminum rods do you recommend for a drag race 292?
    Bob

13. Cannibal

Cannibal

Good topic I`ve got a daily driver work truck 75 Chevy 14,000 lb truck
    With well over 100k miles.
    Like someone mention great tork but doesnt like rpms.
    Unfortunatly I`m getting about 8 mpg! OUCH.
    Any tricks for better mpg?

My question is is the flywheel from a V8 and the 292 the same I would like to swap in aV8
    just to help on the Rpms I`m in the mountains of West NC

14. The fly wheel bolts on some 292s are larger diameter than v8 and 230 250 sixes. you can drill them to fit. the balance is the same. You drive a 292 just like a 6 cyl cummmins diesel just back out of the throttle in a hard pull and it will just keep on pulling:cool: OldWolf

15. Twisted6

Twisted6

Ross an Aries.And I think wesco still make piston for our L6 as to the rods I'll have to ask the guys here what they are useing. Because right off the top of my head i can not remember whos they are.

16. Twisted6

Twisted6

The rods are from GRP rods they say about two weeks turn around time on custom orders. hope this helps.

17. stan292

stan292

Hey guys -

Check out this blown 292 that showed up at the HAMB drags a couple years ago.

This one really had me droolin'. The owner made his own manifold adapter (and the other misc. stuff needed). Said it wasn't too big a deal.

I cought him in the hotel parking lot, but didn't have time to chat at length, as he was heading out. We were supposed to hook up the next day - out at the track - but for whatever reason, that never happened - so I didn't get many details (or his name). Still, some nice "food for thought".

Its hard to tell in these small photos, but he was using a cast valve cover from a MerCruiser boat motor that was pretty cool (no Merc writing, or anything like that, just some shallow ribs) and something you don't see on the street. Said he picked a couple up for cheap at a nearby boat dealer.

P.S. Anybody got a lead on these covers? I'd sure like to find a couple for my own use.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk and kiwijeff like this.
  18. JHhj0978

JHhj0978
    from Youngstown

im a fan of the straight 6...i got a 230 in my 65 biscayne....but i would never trade a 350 for one...im looking for a 350 now if you wanna trade for my 230 PM me

19. Twisted6

Twisted6

Stan
    how many are you really looking for? drop me a Email

20. Twisted6

Twisted6

Clifford, has/had a finned cover, I don't know if Offey still makes one or not.
    Then there is the Engine company But these are very hard for me to keep in stock.I don't deal with clifford or Offey But either way your looking at around 300. bucks for those valve covers UNLess you can find them used. Sometimes Ebay does have them (clifford,offey & the marine one) Also as a side note there are two different type's of marine covers.

21. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

22. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

23. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Langdons side covers, offy valvecover. Mercruiser 2pot intake.

the car is mostly finished and driving now, i had a 4bbl on it now it has a offy 2pot with 94s on it. it will scare the shit out of you in that light car.. 1680 lbs with a full tank of gas in it. its .060 over 301 CI, pretty much stock other than that though, and powerglide.

24. Jason57-427stroker

Jason57-427stroker
    from Akron, OH

I ran one in my 70 GMC for years, never a problem. Great motor. I have two if interested, also 4 brl intake and headers.

25. 18n57

18n57

Had one in my FED, ran a best of 9.97 @135 mph. Modified stock head, homemade Hilborn-style injectors, JE slugs, Superrods...great fun. Go for it

26. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Building a '40 Chev coupe with 292, M20 Muncie. Ditto on the Inliners International club/ site, Langdon, Santucci.

27. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

great thread bring it to the top for more input......

28. Empire32

Empire32
    from FRANCE

not exactely running, but, here's mine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran a 250 in the 48 for about 100K miles. I have a 292 on the engine stand waiting to go in this spring.

30. Have a buddy that has a complete 6 with a Dugan (?) head. Think he also has a spare Dugan head. Not too many of those were made. Been awhile since I saw it, but it's a 12 port cross flow design. Makes one of those 230-292 Chevy 6's bark.

I think the complete engine will go in his '37 Chevy coupe.

volvobrynk likes this.