Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech: No more wheel weights...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CLSSY56, Mar 3, 2008.

1. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

I have no affiliation with them, looks like one heck of a product though. I plan on using them on my 56 when I put my WWW tires on. Found out about these when we bought a new '07 F450 this past year for our family business, as Ford was installing these or similar at the time.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

2. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The guys at So-Cal in Phoenix swear by this product. I think they even stock it.

3. Interesting, thanks I bookmarked it.

4. This has been discussed. I don't think it balances as much as it is a harmonic balancer. The concept isn't new. I've got an old set of JC Whitney balancers like that. 4X4 guys have been putting golf balls in their tires for the same affect for years.

5. DrJ

DrJ

Do these things rattle around in the bottom of the tire like a bunch of loose marbles when you're just cruising the diner parking lot?
    Do they have to redistribute themselves after every friggin stop?
    Fine for a long distance highway semi truck but doesn't sound too practicle on a city stop & go vehicle.

I'm thinking this is like magnets in the gas line gives better mileage shtuff.

And can you get them into the tube in the bias ply tire?

6. So does it work? anyone try them??

7. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Will they work in tube tires?

8. the FAQ says they work in tubes.

9. shook

shook
    from austin, tx

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/news.htm
    <dl><dd>
    </dd><dd>When you come to a stop, do the beads fall to the bottom of the tire? Yes. Due to a small static charge built up between the bead and rubber interaction, a few will remain attached to the tire circumference, but only a very small amount. The rest fall to the bottom and reposition themselves when the tire starts rolling again.
    </dd><dd>Will I hear the beads while driving? No. In the driveway, however, you may hear them rolling around if you move the tire.
    </dd><dd>At what speed do the beads start to work? The balancing principle is based on centrifigal force, and enough force is developed to keep the beads in position at approximately 25 - 35 MPH, but the exact speed is dependant upon tire diameter.
    </dd></dl>

10. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

buddy of mine is into the early american wheels from the 60s had a set polished up for his hotrod always had a vibration not real bad but could feel it all the time. had wheels rebalanced several times by diff. people suggestion came up to try the beads he did he said that it cured the problem he has noticed at times he may feel it alittle when tires are cold but few miles down the road its gone as soon as tires warm up a little bit its worth a shot its not a lot of money and if you take it out it justs falls out like sand when you brake down the tire

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with RD Martin, It isn't very spendy if you do it yourself. around 20 bucks to do a street car including shipping so that won't break most banks.

12. Wasnt there some form of liquid that did the same thing on the market?

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Price list per bag/wheel that I missed?

14. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

But...but...but.....gosh, is it "traditional"?

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Uhhh... gotta call bullshit on this one... it'll dampen vibration, it'll balance if kept at a constant speed (no acceleration, no braking), but it will not balance the tires...

16. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

We tried to sell this system and we didn't have any luck. Due to the cost involved we could not give it free with each tire sold like we do with stick on weights. Customers were apprehensive about putting something inside their tires and having to pay for it. No amount of selling techniques could convince them to do that. I personally think it has more pluses than negatives but the public just doesn't seem to be ready for it yet. Thanks, BOBBY FORD

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'm wondering what the plusses are... it's merely a harmonic balancer or vibration damnpner. It does not balance the tires unless you keep it at a steady speed, neither speeding up or slowing down. You cannot change the laws of physics...

18. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i have driven trucks (semi) with this shit rollin around in the tires, and i can tell you first hand, its shit. the shit cakes up, thumps around, gives steering shimmy and vibration at any given speed... first time ya leave a light, it'll shake at 34mph... next time it wont till over 60mph... not worth it.

having said all that, in a smaller car tire/wheel? might work. but i wont be trying it.

19. Spedley

Spedley

I run these beads in my fancy bling bling 20" wheels on my daily so I wouldnt have to put weights on the outside of the rim. They work ok, balance the whole rotating assembly, brakes, rim, tire...... I always thought they stayed in place until u beat the tire with a hammer to knock em down to rebalance..... which I have had to do a few times. They balance ok sometimes, then not so hot the next.... If I was gonna do it again, think I'd just get stick on weights for the inside of the rim........

20. really hope someone comes up with something because they are trying like hell to outlaw lead wheel weights as they are considered "hazarous" when they fall off wheels yet not sitting in a box at the tire shop.

21. Bought a set of Coker radials- 2 0f them WOULD NOT balance, period. bought some "balancing beads." Tires are now in perfect balance at speed, no weights. I'll never pay for a spin balance again...

22. wakeboarder311

wakeboarder311
    from ohio

i have used golf balls in my tires on my daily driver. its a chevy z71 and my buddies dad uses them on all their dump trucks without any problems

23. autobilly

autobilly

Gotta go with Zman on this one. Besides whats wrong with wheel weights on steel wheels, they've always been there.

24. Dirty2

Dirty2

Nice tech .

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It's fine with me, but don't try to pass it off as balancing your tires.

Do I detect sarcasm? :D

26. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i love the smell of a pithy comment in the evening

27. zbuickman

zbuickman

Im with the majority here.... Ive run them as well worked good most of the time but in city driving pot holes would some time knock them out. Untill you stopped or went a few miles

28. Scott

Scott

I used some stuff called balance seal years ago on my sportster. On a cold morning it was like you had square tires for a couple of miles. then it really smoothed out. I think it also helped with punctures etc

29. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

my buddy has a dodge ram 4x4 (the ram emblem on the grille comes to the top of my head and im 5'9") with the biggest tires i have ever seen and he put 30lbs of sand in each one of them to balance it. they vibrate a little on take off but does great once you get going.