Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lil' John Buttera Passed away this morning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 2, 2008.

1. swazzie

swazzie

Godspeed and thank you lil John . thank you so much...................

2. Dionysis2112

Dionysis2112

I'm not old enough to have experienced the whole Buttera legend, but I do enjoy all that he's done. Another very great talent gone on to the next world. He will be missed by many.
    Thanks Lil John!

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

4. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Never met the man,but what i read and seen his work spoke for him.Always admired his ability to see things with a clean simple approach that was setting the bar for all others to follow.There are a GIANT pair of shoes that i cant see being filled any time soon.Today was a really really sad day,A truly tallented gifted man has left this earth and all i can say is thank you for all his inspiration.Godspeed john.

5. chilimac

chilimac

The scope of Lil John's work is amazing.He was the master fabricator and he will be missed by everyone with an appreciation of quality work and vision.He was my hero of Hot Rods.

6. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

So far 2008 is off to a bad start.

RIP. Godspeed.

7. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

His influences on me as a kid in the '70s stuck with me in the '80s as I graduated from model cars to real ones. I think as a builder he influenced me more than any other car guy. His name was one I knew as a young kid, and I always paid attention to him and his work.

I never met him, and I shall never forget him....................

8. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Taking nothing away from Boyd, but I hope the certain celebration of his life doesn't overshadow Lil's story. Hey, maybe John just didn't want Boyd to get too far ahead of him up there! A freakin genius in simple white T-shirt.

I was doing some marketing work for the short lived Boyd's Harley accessories program back in the 90's. I was at the plant working on ad details and wanted to get better info on the stuff (that was mostly all John's work and just stunning but perhaps too good for most bikers). I was warned not to bug John 'cause it was "not a good time" (I had heard a few things and some of you guys know he had his moments). Anyway, I was in the shop, crouched down lookin' at one of the bikes and John walked by so I asked him a question about some detail or something. He just glared back and said "If you don't know what you're lookin' at then I can't help you." (he IS a dick, I thought!)

So I said, "if everybody knew what you do, then they wouldn't need to buy any of this shit!"

Well, he just stopped right there, kinda moved his head around so he was looking at me through the right spot in his glasses and said "what do you want to know?" And he sat down on the floor for over two hours explaining the whys and what-for on every piece. No rush and no condescension.

Never met him again but I'll never forget that day. RIP, man.

9. Assdragger

Assdragger

Sad news, another legend gone.

RIP John

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Thoughts to his friends & family...a significant loss to the motorsports world

11. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

From Drag cars,Hot Rods,Indy cars to Bikes. The man was an Incredibly talented man & will be missed by all.

R.I.P.

[​IMG]

12. 40 grey

40 grey
    from s.w. Fla.

I never got to meet Mr. Buttera personaly, but I sure did admire his work. As a youngster his cars caught my eye in the mags etc. He influenced me to become a machinist. I read he was a machinist in one of the old articles and figured that if machinists do things like that, then thats what I want to be! We should all work on meeting old timers and heroes before we cant anymore. So much to learn. R.I.P. Lil' John.

13. redrico1

redrico1

gone but not forgotten.

14. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

RIP John,
    I don't have much talent, but it's been great being part of this generation.
    You made neat shit!
    Ron

15. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

16. MENACE

MENACE
    from PHOENIX AZ

I always remembered seeing his stuff in Hot Rod when i was a little kid. RIP

17. Todd Emmons

Todd Emmons
    from Phoenix

Wow, this past week has really just sucked. I knew Lil' John was sick, but, didn't see this coming either. Him and Boyd within just a few days. We have all certainly lost two incredibly talented individuals who have influenced our hobby in more ways they we know. And for those of us who were close to them we have lost a father, husband, brother and friend. To the Buttera family and those that were close to him I send my heartfelt condolences, we know what you are going through and no words can take away the pain. However, the kind words of fondness and remembrance that these folks and others write on the many forums throughout the web certainly help.

18. farm boy

farm boy
    from reedley

I remember reading about his Indy adventure and thinking this guy just might pull it off, this guy lived life WOT. We've all made or constucted somthing and sat back and thought, "Wow, how bitchen is that"!!! Now think of the times Lil John could have said that. He was just so prolific, artistic..He was Blessed. Condolences to the family. Oly

The cancer car lives
    Give to cancer research

19. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Sad Day. I never met John, but was certainly inspired by his work.

20. dutched32

dutched32

R.I.P. Lil' John

21. Hip2bsquare

Hip2bsquare
    from Gilbert,AZ

R.I.P Lil John....

From the gang @ HotrodsbyDean in Phx!!!

Attached Files:

22. This is super sad news. I love his cars and though I never met John, everybody says what a cool guy he was.

His breed of though of course will continue on, look at how many of us have been inspired by something that he put together.

Best to his family. —MRAK

23. I was awestruck the first time I saw the '33 Willys he built for Joe Hrudka at the Hot Rod Nats. I think I was 15, and I remember telling my Dad I would pay to spend a day under that car on a lift.:eek:
    I saw him at the G.N.R.S. in '07 and told him that story. He grinned and shook my hand, but immediately let me know he didn't want to be idolized, he talked to me like we were just 2 car guys shooting the shit.:cool:
    One of the highlights of my hotrod life.
    R.I.P. Lil John

24. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Lil John was an amazing Fabricator.. I never got to meet him, but I have heard plenty of Lil John stories. He could build just about anything and proved it with his Indy Car.
    Rest In Peace Lil John Buttera...
    Jimmy White

25. XR4TI

XR4TI

Rember the Hot Rod cover with his sons 69 Camaro

26. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Yep, I was just thinking about that issue with the 69 Z28 he breathed on.

27. Rest in Peace, in Hot Rod Heaven Little John.

28. voodoochili

voodoochili

:( Being from Indy I can tell you he was an innovator and a machining wiz. Godspeed Lil' John you will be missed.

29. Conder

Conder

The STANDARD.

30. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Conder, Excellent way to put it!!!!!.......Littleman