Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Buildy

Buildy

Billy Cassella at Williams Grove USAC sprints in 1973.

Doesn`t that Seymour car have some beautiful lines? I wish the sprints and Dirt cars still looked like that,along with the Midgets,of course.
    The barn door boxy look doesn`t work for me.....

[​IMG]

2. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

O/T again I was looking in my SCTA rule book from last year and did find the class VOT I was also looking at the Maxton site and did'nt see a record or this class there at all. Does anybody know if they have one?

3. the shadow

the shadow

no meaning to hyjack the thread but since all the sprint car guys are on this post I have a question. when they started using "juice"brakes (master cyclinders) on champ/sprint style cars. where were they mounted inside the frame with the hand brake on the outside or did they mount the entire master cyclinder on the outside of the frame as in the pic i will post. what was the normal most common way back in the day. I am building a recreation much like corngrowers and I am using a juice brake set up and on the fence about mounting it on the outside of the frame? I like the clean look of just a handle on the outside just need to figure out how to do it?

Attached Files:

4. Buildy

Buildy

That is a very unconventional set up. The MC is usually inside the car. Inside,protected from the rocks,stones and dirt.
    The real fabricators on here can explain how to set a handbrake up for ya.

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Don't know if they have a specific class, but if you showed up with the required basic safety equip. I'll bet they would let you run t/o at least.

Attached Files:

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

For the reasons Buildy cited, all I have seen were mounted on the inside of the rails. A simple bushed pivot boss through the frame rail and a D or keyed shaft to connect would be all you would need.

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

This thread has gotten so big, it's hard to remember/find what has already been posted. Anyway here's some more Chini pics.

Attached Files:

8. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

[​IMG]

The date was October 9, 1949. The place was Owosso, Michigan. In this photo, driver Vern Fritch was about two minutes away from being paralyzed for life when his sprint car flipped over.

[​IMG]

Wally Zale was a great driver who set records for wins all over the Mid-west in the 1930's and early 40's. He was part of the "Chicago Gang" that included Tony Bettenhausen, Paul Russo, Jimmy Snyder, Cowboy O'Rourke and Emil Andres.

http://alblixtracinghistory.typepad.com/

Pretty Cool Site!

9. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

[​IMG]

1933 Ford "Riley"owner Joe Barzda

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.1933fordrileyracecar.com/index.htm for more info of the life of this car...

Finding pics for this has become a great history lesson for me learning of some of the greats in the sport..Glad this thread started..Thanx

10. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

11. Buildy

Buildy

"This thread has gotten so big, it's hard to remember/find what has already been posted. "

LOL-I`m half afraid to post something, as I can`t keep track of what I already put on here.
    Nevertheless this thread can go on indefinately as far as I`m concerned!

12. racer5c

racer5c

Sunday post

Attached Files:

13. Columbus Comet.jpg

This is the only open wheel pic that I have left to post My first racer, and driver cuz Don

Thanks everybody for the Pics--now where is the time machine
    I want to go BACK:D

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Much photographed and well documented, but great eye candy none the less. The Rex Mays- Winfield- Gilmore Special.

Attached Files:

15. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Same here.. Post them anyways. Thanks guys.

Joshua Shaw

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

And speaking of Ed Winfield:

Attached Files:

17. Buildy

Buildy

This Winfield car,or a very exact replica of it was at the Monterrey Historics in 2007.

[​IMG]

Another photo Of Ed in that beautiful Bob Tail! 1927 Ascot.

[​IMG]

And one more for good measure!

[​IMG]

18. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

GOOD NEWS.. The "To Please A Lady" car is STAYING UNRESTORED!! They blew it apart, and are putting it all back together.. complete. Running.:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JD

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Let's change gears (errr... engage the in&out box:)) and move foward a few decades. Dick Rathmans 1958 Watson roadster:

Attached Files:

20. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

21. Grinderspark

Grinderspark

Absolutely fantastic thread!! Some of the names bring back a few childhood memories.

I was wondering if anyone had info or photos of a driver (My girlfriends brother-in-law) who ran a Curtis midget from about 1964 to the late 70's. His name is Richard LeFever.
    He drove for a guy named Hargas out of South Jersey. The first car they bought and ran was a red Offy Meyer-Drake motored car that was purchased from Dave Welk, and repainted brown with the # 49.
    The car ran namely in the Williams Grove, Reading, Mason-Dixon Speedway, Tequay Speedway, Hatfield, Susquehanna, Lincoln, Syracuse, Port Royal, Flemington and Bridgeport circuit.

The second car they bought and ran was a Red/White/Blue Curtis Offy #21, and ran primarily the same circuit. He also drove various Modifieds from time to time, runiing against the likes of Budd Olsen, Joe Hall, Ray Evernham, Martin Truex and others.

Any information is really appreciated, especially photos. Alot of his albums were ruined by storm and water damage.
    Thanks for the help!!

22. So....do we have a name for the new owner yet ? Is it the same Greg Schneider from the Twin Cities that I've dealt with ?

23. This car started the month of May as a primered deal. The quiet idea was to sell this car to Watsons car owner, who was upset that it was built on the time Zink was paying for. Eliesian was to get the sister to this car but it went instead to Reece. Thus Elisian went to the1957 Zink-Watson and proceeded to battle Rathmann until the famous crash.

Interesting note- Once your face is on the trophy, that is it. Even by the grace of God. Although the race win went to Bryan, it was found a week later that Reece had actually gotten to the line first and that he wasn't a lap down. A scoring error both Teamside and Official side missed this. By the time it was discovered, the time was up.

Zink never made a big deal of it since both drivers died soon after that year.

It was also this car that started the split between Watson and Zink that led to the Watson-Wilke pairing.

24. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

No.. I found out now that I was misinformed.. Greg Schneider does not own it. Some guy in Cali owns it.. I don't have a name yet BUT!! The same guy owns The REAL "To Please A Lady" car. The shinny one! What a duo!!

25. Old Roadsters never die--they become super:eek:modifieds.
    old roadster.jpg

26. racer5c

racer5c

Has anyone else heard of this?? This is the first time I ever heard that Bryan didn't actually win Indy?????
    on another note I have some IMS published literature listing Mario as winner of the 1981 500

[Interesting note- Once your face is on the trophy, that is it. Even by the grace of God. Although the race win went to Bryan, it was found a week later that Reece had actually gotten to the line first and that he wasn't a lap down. A scoring error both Teamside and Official side missed this. By the time it was discovered, the time was up.

Zink never made a big deal of it since both drivers died soon after that year.

It was also this car that started the split between Watson and Zink that led to the Watson-Wilke pairing.[/QUOTE]

27. jmcintosh

jmcintosh

do you are anyone h ave any pictures of the mitchell speedway. it was built in the late 40's by dizz wilson.it was located on highy 60 east towards salem.

28. [/quote]

The people that could prove this may all be dead. Except for Watson, he might be able to shed some light on it. I may be wrong, but here in Okla. there is an old aquaintance of Zinks that is convinced there was a scoring error. It was revealed quietly to Zink a week later and since Zinks freshman scorer made the same mistake during all the confusion, he didn't know to protest within the allotted time.

Out of respect for Bryan, I still say he did actually win. Rain shortened, scoring error, or whatever else, a win at Indy is a win once the face is on the trophy.

But always remember, I wasn't there.

29. Also Denny Moore of Tulsa could help on this one.

30. racer5c

racer5c

I have seen some, there is a big gas station down that way that has a bunch on the wall, I can find out the exact location if you want.