Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 60's style chassis with a Stude!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dv8, Mar 2, 2008.

1. dv8

dv8

This is what I've been working on lately... It's the chassis for my '26 T sedan. 1959 Studebaker 259 V8, 9-inch rear, lots of polished aluminum!

I had mocked the whole car up by myself one afternoon, then MBL helped me measure up everything. I took it over to my clubmate, Ralph's shop and he stretched the frame a little, and welded up some of the mounts for me. I got it back, took it all apart, and went to work on it. A lot of sand blasting, primer and paint spraying, and final assembly. MBL and Aboneboy helped with the engine clean-up and brake/fuel line mounting.

I think I fixed the engine up pretty nice. I still need a couple of minor things to do. The body is almost finished...It's on it's 4th or 5th gallon (that's right) of clear.... :)

I worked hard on it, but I don't think it will be ready for Billetproof...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the before on the engine and tranny...

[​IMG]

2. dv8

dv8

Here's a little something MBL picked up for his coupe project...'48 Caddy 346 flatty, and hydramatic tranny....Purrs like a kitten!!!

[​IMG]

3. studematt

studematt

Any rod with a stude motor excites me! Awesome! Post more pics when the bodys on .

4. dv8

dv8

I sure will!

Thanks!

5. Very coooool both of them. MBL i know a guy who would have looked after that Cady for you. lol.

6. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Love it! :cool: Is that an Edmunds intake or a Lionel Stone and are those Lionel Stone valve covers? I'm building a '56 289 with an Edmunds 2 X 2 and Delta regrind for my '55, your's looks very similar to what I have planned, I already have the intake, cam and aluminum valley cover but I still need valve covers. There was a set of Edmunds Stude V-8 covers on eBay a couple weeks ago but they went for a bit more than I'm willing to pay, OK a LOT more than I was willing to pay.

More pics............. please!!!

7. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Welcome to the T sedan/Studebaker engine club! :)

Attached Files:

8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

brings a tear to my eye

9. AHotRod

AHotRod

I can't wait to see it....... I love the look, it's perfect.

10. I saw it Friday night, it's muy cool. Can't wait to see the body on it.

11. MBL

MBL

The frame did come out nice. The body is killer with the green metalflake. I think this car will be pretty special. Nice having you by on Friday Mike.

Yeah..the new Caddy mill I got is making us switch gears a bit on my next build. But really I think all will be good changes. I will be soliciting ideas from the HAMB. [​IMG]
    Tim
    MBL

12. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

DAMN!

I need to get down there and see you guys again.....

13. Dirty2

Dirty2

That motor is pretty !!!!! Nice work .

14. dv8

dv8

Yes, It's an Edmunds intake, and Lionel Stone valley, and valve covers...They seem very "Offenhauser" to me.... :)

I saw the Edmunds valve covers...They were neat...but not THAT neat! Plus, being in a model T...I wanted the "Studebaker" script!

15. dv8

dv8

Ha! Cool!

Yours sits a bit lower than mine will, but we have the same chop!

16. dv8

dv8

Thanks for the positive comments guys!!!

It helps to motivate us to take things to a higher level!!!

17. Florian

Florian

18. 38pickup

38pickup

I love stude motors... nice job.

I still wish I could have kept a 41 caddy flathead I had. :( The guy I sold it too said he took it apart and it had been hotroded.

19. Sinner

Sinner

Damn, looks awesome!!!
    Can't wait to see it finished.

20. Rusty

Rusty

I like that motor

21. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Just a few questions, what tranny and cam are you running? I've always wanted to do a Stude but I can't decide on a V8 or a little Champ. Does anyone make an adapter to run a more modern tranny with a 170-185?

22. MBL

MBL

I'll get in here. That tranny is the stock one. From what I understand it is some derivitive of a Ford-o-matic. Air cooled. Not sure about adaptors...but I bet they are out there. Other than the intake...I think the engine is stock.
    Tim
    MBL

23. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

holy moly, now thats what im talkin about. im a bit jealous. :) looks beyond great.

24. chaddilac

chaddilac

How the heck do you change the oil filter without dumping a half quart on the engine??

Nice looking frame/engine combo though... very nice!

25. MBL

MBL

You use the elusive Billy Mays" filter sock!
    Tim
    MBL

26. WAY COOL DUDE !!!! I love Bakers . I've owned 4 of them . Using a Stude for your ride culturally with it . By the way how did those valve covers come into existence ?

Attached Files:

27. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Thanks. Actually I'd prefer finned covers with no script but if I have to have it on there make mine "STUDEBAKER"! :D

28. dv8

dv8

Thanks guys!

As for the oil change...The filter is the kind with the small threaded opening, and blockage past the hole, with little holes around the perimeter...so, I don't see how to pour oil in the filter without a lot of patience! However, it is connected by flexible hoses, and I can just unbolt it from the fill tube, and screw it in, then turn it upsidedown, and bolt it back.

I don't know about the valve covers...but I have a feeling that the "Studebaker" script might of replaced "Offenhauser" at some point in time. ;)