Register now to get rid of these ads!

Beware! More bangers boys B.S. & Monthly meeting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtyest Devil, Feb 28, 2008.

1. I am running 2 engines now and have converted a total of 4. I posted a link to webshots that is a series of photo showing how to do it, or how I do it. The critical thing is reversing the drive, and changing the spring to one wound in the other direction. The next important thing is the outer support bearing. In the webshots album I show how I locate for the bearing, if you don't install this bearing the starter shaft WILL bend. At this time I have one on my 6 volt Winfield flathead, cranks slow at 8 to 1 but will start. To locate the spring go to the starter shop, take your old spring and tell the guy "I want one wound the other way" very simple process. I have seen a part # for the spring but that might be more confusing.

2. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

3. Good babbit works very well, I had a "53" Chevy with babbit or what we called "poured" rods and I ran the heck out of that engine. Chevy used a system of tubes in the pan that squirted the oil at the dippers. I knew one old engineer that told me he would open up the hole in the rod cap and build a larger "scoop" with braze back in the day.

4. Thanks Plain Bill....thats the info I was refering too that I have. If I get stuck when the time comes, I may Pm you...

I'm gonna stick with Babbit. If my head was designed to run back in the 30's with babbit, it will be fine today. Like I said, I have a few bangers, so I may try bearings later. I was waiting for Jetmek to join in on this conversation, I think he is pro insert bearing, and he does know his stuff... but I'm going with babbit for now. It's way cheaper, and my tolerences are all good. I believe my motor was rebuilt not long ago, I found plastic timing gears...so I know someone was in there....so I believe my babbit is fresh, maybe one shim in center journal. Thanks all...keep you updated.

5. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

I've got a good A block at a local shop that was magnefluxed and showed up good. I think I'm going to try hitting up the friend building my insert engine to do a babbit job on that block before he retires. We'll see...

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

See if you guys could think outside the Ford box, Plymouth 4s came with thin babbit mains but poured rods. Also pressure to the rods stock. And then there are Dodge Bros. fours with 5 mains, all with inserts as well as the rods.

7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I have a babbit B engine with an Original CRAGAR head and an inserted engine with all of the goodies. Hard to really tell any difference although the B runs through a V8 flywheel and a T-5 transmission.

8. 1930 vicky

1930 vicky
    from England,UK

Engine's in and running strong just got back from my maiden 30 mile voyage and all went well.
    1933 'B' engine,counter balanced crank,40 thou overbore,Lion head,Winfield IR grind cam (F.A.S.T),Stainless valves,Lightened flywheel,V8 clutch,Scalded Dog manifold,New Stromberg carb & close ratio gears.
    It feels like a new car lets hope it all hangs together ok. I will get it "run in" and then see how it goes.:D

Attached Files:

9. Back in the late "40"'s and "50"'s there were some early, say 30"s a few late "20's Chryslers, Dodge, Plymouth's around. They seemed to be pretty good cars but they disappeared as did the Chevy's. I seem to remember the story on the Chevy's was that they had a lot of wood in them. Was this also true of the Chrysler products? Just curious. A friend of mine whose family pioneered building small electric vehicles for agriculture use's told me they used the Dodge 4 starter / generator as motors in their first vehicles and I remember plans and instructions in Popular Mechanics for building arc welders out of them

10. 30 miles? Could have come by to see the sad ol' mess in MY garage!

Pulled the A engine from the Fordor. Bit clattery from cold, graunching clutch, getting a little oil smoky in the cabin...
    Large lumps of piston in the sump, with a smattering of rings. Sleeved bores still perfect! Front and centre main bearing caps - babbit breaking down. Oh, not so good.

Plan B then. Stripped the crank out of the Diamond B block sitting on the bench. Babbit appears OK apart from a few marks from years of "resting". Plans - quick hone, fresh pistons, new valves and seats, hi-compression head. But then, err, decisions, decisions. Been offered this F head - so, quick poll? Broccoli or Cabbage?

[​IMG]

11. [​IMG]

Hmm - I have one of those - what the hell is it off?

12. TV

TV

That baby looks like it was machined out of billet. Is that a Norm Frick head? Cool looking.--TV

13. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

off the shelf in the garage bought it to adapt to a governer drive case for an ardun setup never did anything with it tho
    Ken

14. It looks a lot like the one on my Ford 8N, coil shape is slightly different tho, maybe a 9N or 2N

15. [​IMG]
    Last time this RPU moved under it's own power was 1960 or 1962. This one has the model "A" stroker in it. J and E pistons in a 4" bore, 4.562 stroke, 1 3/4" intakes, Breierly Winfield 1A cam, small block 6"dampener 18 lb Al flywheel, 9" clutch full pressure, modified flat head v8 oil pump, 8 to 1 compression with a repop Winfield "Crows Foot". modified "B" distributor. Currently using 6 volt system but may have to go to 8 volts

16. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Phil, didn't realise that the Belcher head was a four-port. Hmm. I'd be fitting that, then....

Very cool RPU, Bill.

17. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Here's what I was up to last weekend. Popped over to Monkeybiker's to collect this ol' thing. Was going to cut the back off and make it into a modified, but kinda fancy running it as is for a season or two....
    [​IMG]

18. belcher's site doesnt work anymore
    any more contact info and an updated price on there set up
    tk

19. DON'T cut it Darren! I'll swap it back for one that already is!!!

20. Nothing new from me, put a dropped axle under my coupe, and getting ready to drop the B engine in it and V8 trans....Also sold that B fuel pump to Zach :D

21. noboD

noboD

1948 Ford 8N tractor, mine still attached to the engine.

22. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Well, keep yer fingers crossed,...things have gone horribly awry with the fellow building my engine. A real shot to the head of this roadster project,...

Hopefully, by tomorrow things will be sorted out,....?

23. I think i just bought a 32 tudor, european body, model b. Later this year I can buy my buddys chassis with a 53 flathead,but right now i need to do some to B engine. I was thinkin head, cam and intake, but what do i buy and where. The engine is newly overhouled, so it shuold be in good shape. It still has the original trans and brakes, and I have no plans about modifying them right now.
    Lars
    Oh I forgot, is it possible to put a 4" dropped axle on it without splitting the wishbone or modifying the mechanical brakes.
    Lars

24. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

cool!, i love those things!
    plop it on your A chassis cut the radiator and call it a day!!

25. johnferl

johnferl

Please send more info about the roadster. Pic's very helpful. Sorry to hear about health problems.

Regards:
    John

26. Elrod

Elrod

27. BADENGINEERING

BADENGINEERING
    from SWEDEN

Hi, I'm running a stock 4 banger with dual Zenit 36 carbs, works well, at least when accelelrating.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nick B, A-BOMBERS, SWEDEN

28. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Update on Dad's 1917 Model T Speedster <hr style="color: rgb(153, 153, 153);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> [​IMG]

Hi all,
    Carston here,
    This is me at the Portland Roadster Show on the 1st of March. More on Roadster show later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the end of February I helped dad run the brake lines from the master cylinder to the front and back by drooling on them. I had fun grabbing tools to go bang on cars, but dad and Bop (grandpa) didn't like me heading for the Rolls Royce (restored 1934 P2). They took my new found toys away and I pouted.
    Dad also got the exhaust put on (2.5 inch pipe with a glass pack) and I think it looks shiny black.

[​IMG]

We had to get a family photo with the car for dad but I did not know that I was supposed to look at the camera on the tripod.:eek:
    [​IMG]
    I like to help dad inspect the car. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dad wanted a colored rendering of what the speedster will likely look like in the future. Mom had taken some Photoshop classes in the past but went on Youtube and found more tutorials. While she learned and experimented I played with my toys, got board and took a nap, or bugged her until she played with me. Mom will talk more about this in another post.

I want to tell about the Roadster Show. People were impressed with me because I was there for many hours and I barely made a fuss. I really liked the 1/4 midget race cars, dancing to the live band, riding on dad's shoulders looking at all of hot rods in their temporary garage, visiting with Grammie and Bop at the Portland Community College booth, flirting with the girls (of all ages), and running around on my own with dad keeping me from straying into trouble (I wanted to cross the ropes but I couldn't, :( boo).

[​IMG]

I had a lot of fun hanging around dad's car trying to loosen anything that I could (the brake lines - nope:(, crank - sort of :confused: it moves but I could not get it to start the car, wheels - nope :(, oil cap - yes :D, and I tried to carry it off and give it to another car but our friend Clayton showed me how to put it back on dad's car). Overall I enjoyed having mom and dad walk with me all over the place or chase me down.:cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Standing by the car looking smug as I pulled the crank bushing off. Guess dad will have to fix my handiwork .

[​IMG]

In all I went all three days of the show. On Friday I rode Max (our light rail trains) with dad and mom went with her mom to a concert. I went down with mom and dad on Saturday evening. Sunday I helped load the car up. Mom got lost talking to a cousin while dad and I pulled the trailer in to get the car. I think to keep me contained they (dad and some Westside Cruiser club members) put me on the Warford and I shifted gears while they gave me a ride up on to the trailer.

[​IMG]

Yesterday, March 10th, I got bored at home and was whining to mom so she sent me with dad to go see my first wrecking yard. Dad picked up some steering column parts from a Subaru. We got a steering column and a bunch of u-joints. Now we can go play at the shop some more.

Later,
    Carston Becker

P.S. On March 24th I will be 15 months old. Watch out girls! I am getting older and even cuter.

29. Rizhto

Rizhto

Hi

I was advised to join this thread with my questions to get some information. I'm starting the banger project based on 1928 Chevy series AB Chassis. I have talked about this project already in other threads here. I want to use as much original parts as possible, so I will stick on the original engine. The question in general is, if there is any information available for building and hopping up the Chevy four cylinder engine? I have a good how-to guide to build the engine as restored and that is already a good help, but power knowledge seems to be hard to find. NWVS.org does not reply to my emails, so I cannot contact the speedster builders from there. I wonder if there is any Chevy four enthusiast hanging around here. Even little tips are welcome.

Thanks already
    Risto Nurmi
    Oulu, Finland